Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Why can I no longer pay bills as a scheduled event?

I have been using Quicken for a long time. Practically since it became available. In all that time I have been able to create a payee, and schedule payments to that payee. Now when I create a scheduled payment, it does not make a payment, but creates a reminder that I must then activate to become a payment. Apparently this was the case starting with the subscription model of software.
This was a basic function which I use constantly. Why have you discontinued one of the most important features of the software? If I can no longer schedule a bill payment to be made automatically, I have no use for your software. I can do all my banking direct with the bank and stop paying you entirely.
Tagged:

Best Answers

Answers

• Hello @crowpatrol,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community and post your issue, although I apologize that you have not yet received a response.

What version/release of Quicken are you using? You can find that by going to Help>About Quicken. Also, please see this FAQ for details on adding more information to your post so that other Community members are best able to assist you. 

If you have not already done so, please take a moment to review the information outlined here regarding Bill Reminders in Quicken.

You may also consider adding your vote to any existing Idea threads, and/or creating an Idea thread of your own, outlining the specific functionality you'd like to see implemented in Quicken for this feature.

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7849425/creating-and-voting-for-ideas-in-the-community

https://community.quicken.com/categories/bills-income-reminders-and-online-bills

Our developer's review Idea threads to get an idea of what people would like Quicken to offer.

Thank you,

Quicken Natalie

• Quicken version information is:
    Year 2020
    Version R24.11
    Build 24.1.24.11
    OS is Windows 10 Home
    Ver. 10.0.18362
    Build 18362

Other post in this site indicate that auto bill paying is no longer supported.
    Is that correct?
    Bob
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Moderator mod
    Hello @crowpatrol

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your issue, although I apologize that you haven't received a follow-up response.

How are you connected to pay bills? Are you using Bank Bill Pay or do you have a Quicken Bill Pay account?

If you are using bank bill pay, please take a moment to review the steps and information available here.

Thank you,
    -Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • For about 20 years of use of Quicken, I have been able to pay my repetitive bills like a mortgage payment, using a scheduled payment within the online portion of the software. I would go in and set up a payee. Then schedule a payment to be automatically made once a month.
    Last year I subscribed to the Premier service which includes bill pay. It appears that Bill Pay is a separate service that you must access separately from the Quicken software. I can no longer use the method of 20 years, and set up that payment. Indeed, there is no way to set up an automatic payment in Quicken.

First, there was no notice that my "free" bill pay was not part of Quicken, but was a separate service. There was no instruction to go and subscribe to that service. There was no instruction on HOW to subscribe. Apparently customer service has degenerated to posting FAQs and letting people miss payments and incur penalties rather than being up front with your customers.
    Second, when I finally wandered around in the wilderness long enough, I figured out that I needed to open a separate "Bill Pay" account and start re-entering all those payees that I have set up in Quicken to a new service.
    Do you realize that software is supposed to make things easier, not harder? Why did you remove a perfectly working method in favor of a method that is twice the work and headache?
    I still have not figured out if the Bill Pay feature will even do automatic payments. I just set it up yesterday, and have to wait for my bank accounts to BE AUTHORIZED AGAIN BY A NEW SERVICE!!!!!!!
    It is become difficult to refrain from becoming obscene and obnoxious. I did not expect the new software to be MORE DIFFICULT than the product I have used for a very long time.
  • I was not using the Quicken Bill Pay service during my many years of using Quicken, because it did not exist, and was not needed. I could create payees and schedule bills to be paid using the Quicken software. The features I used have been removed, and made into a separate application.
    This is not a case of me not knowing how Quicken works. Again, twenty years of use proves I know what what I was doing. At least until the software changed.

The point of this thread is to determine if Quicken Bill Pay will even do what I want it to do.

I want to create a payee for my new mortgage. I then want to schedule a monthly payment to that payee that will automatically be paid without me activating that payment. In the current Quicken application, I can create the payee, but it will not create an automatic payment. It will only create a reminder. I then must manually go and make the payment.

In the previous 'non-subscription version, I could do this. In the Current subscription version I cannot. Can I do this in the Quicken Bill Pay Service?
    If I cannot do this, why do I need Quicken or Quicken Bill Pay?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    I was not using the Quicken Bill Pay service during my many years of using Quicken, because it did not exist, and was not needed. I could create payees and schedule bills to be paid using the Quicken software. The features I used have been removed, and made into a separate application.
    This is not a case of me not knowing how Quicken works. Again, twenty years of use proves I know what what I was doing. At least until the software changed.

The point of this thread is to determine if Quicken Bill Pay will even do what I want it to do.

I want to create a payee for my new mortgage. I then want to schedule a monthly payment to that payee that will automatically be paid without me activating that payment. In the current Quicken application, I can create the payee, but it will not create an automatic payment. It will only create a reminder. I then must manually go and make the payment.

In the previous 'non-subscription version, I could do this. In the Current subscription version I cannot. Can I do this in the Quicken Bill Pay Service?
    If I cannot do this, why do I need Quicken or Quicken Bill Pay?

The feature you have used has not been removed from Quicken.  If you haven't already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/about-online-payees-and-payments-quicken

• Well, I beg to differ...
    Here is the text from the link you provided.
    ===============
    A payee is any company, service, or individual to which you make payments.

An online payee is one you send online payments to through Quicken. It can be a business, such as your telephone company or credit card company, or an individual, such as your landlord or newspaper carrier.

To send an online payment through Quicken, you will need to set up and activate Quicken Bill Pay or have online payments set up through your financial institution.
    =================
    That last sentence says it all. In the last (non-subscription) version of Quicken that I had, I did not have to activate Quicken Bill Pay to make online payments. I did it within quicken and was able to automate those payments.

A small correction on my previous statements. I have been using Quicken for twenty five years. I just looked up my oldest data file and it is from 1995. Yes, I have all my old data files for 25 years.\

Can anyone answer the question about Quicken Bill Pay? My new QBP account has still not authorized my bank account. So I cannot even try to set up a payment.
    the question... Can I make automatic monthly payments to my lender?
  • Well Thank You.
    I believed the posting that said that payments could not be automatically paid, and searched for what would work. No explanation was offered to contradict that posting until yours.
    I think I set up my payment to get paid automatically. Of course the proof will come in a month. But, It looks like it will work.
    This is not radically different than it was before, but it does require a step that I never did before, and simply missed.
    If it works out, I will get rid of the stupid QBP account.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I beg to differ...
    Here is the text from the link you provided.
    ===============
    A payee is any company, service, or individual to which you make payments.

An online payee is one you send online payments to through Quicken. It can be a business, such as your telephone company or credit card company, or an individual, such as your landlord or newspaper carrier.

To send an online payment through Quicken, you will need to set up and activate Quicken Bill Pay or have online payments set up through your financial institution.
    =================
    That last sentence says it all. In the last (non-subscription) version of Quicken that I had, I did not have to activate Quicken Bill Pay to make online payments. I did it within quicken and was able to automate those payments.

A small correction on my previous statements. I have been using Quicken for twenty five years. I just looked up my oldest data file and it is from 1995. Yes, I have all my old data files for 25 years.\

Can anyone answer the question about Quicken Bill Pay? My new QBP account has still not authorized my bank account. So I cannot even try to set up a payment.
    the question... Can I make automatic monthly payments to my lender?
    If you did not previously activate Quicken Bill Pay and were issuing online payments using Quicken, you had set up the online bill payment service for an account with a financial institution.  

If the financial institution still supports the online bill payment service, you do not need to activate Quicken Bill Pay.  I suggest you open the register you use for online bill payment, press Ctrl + Shift + E, select the Online Services tab, and determine if you have setup the Online bill payment service.

You may certainly choose to create a Quicken Bill Pay account and then use Quicken Bill Pay instead of your previous online bill pay service.  You would set up the repeating payment the same way you have previously.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭

There is perhaps a misunderstanding of terminology. An Online Bill Payment is one you set up to run on your bank's web site. As such, it will execute regardless of whether you run Quicken. An Auto "reminder" will only execute if you run Quicken. Online Bill Payments appear in the "Repeating Online" tab of the "Bills & Income Reminders" dialog. You need Direct Connect with your bank to use these seamlessly with Quicken.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • Yes, and as noted I have done that for years.
    The issue is that for several years I have not had a mortgage payment, and adding in a new one was not working like it had previously. Probably because there are new choices that I was not familiar with, and they did not default like in the past.
  • Anyway. Thanks Again. Looks positive.
  • Now that I have passed the due date for my next payment, I have opened Quicken and find that the payment was automatically entered in my register, but it was not automatically PAID. I am quite disappointed. A major feature on which I depended, is now gone.
    I paid an annual fee for Quicken but when that expires, I will discontinue using Quicken. If I can do everything I want to for free on my bank's site, why would I pay a fee to Quicken just to have an automated register.
    There are free register programs out there.
    Too bad.....
This discussion has been closed.