Home Quicken for Windows Installing and Updating (Windows)

Updating from Windows 7 to 10

Hi everyone. I'm new to the community and would like input on the following. I have a PC running Windows 7 with Quicken 2010 on it. I only use the Quicken as a checkbook register that I can then download reports to use for income taxes. I don't do any online banking or banking downloads with it.

I plan to upgrade the PC to Windows 10 but before I do that I was wondering what I should do first to make sure that I can still use the old Quicken data. I read some posts on the forum that maybe I should upgrade to Quicken 2013 first. Any input on whether this is all I need to do or should I upgrade first to Quicken 2013 and then upgrade to Quicken 2019 or 2020, whatever the latest version is? Or is it fine to just stay with Quicken 2013?

Comments

• Greg_the_GeekGreg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    For the time being, I would upgrade to Quicken 2013 and stay with it until it no longer functions on Windows.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you like QW2010, why change at all, it should work under Win10, just make sure that you make a backup of your data before you do the upgrade from W7 to W10.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• SBSharkSBShark Member
    Thanks, Greg_the_Geek and splasher, for the input. I'm concerned about using Quicken 2010 on Win10 because of this post that I found on this forum:

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7859667/quicken-2010-went-away-after-updating-windows-10

The person who posted this indicated that he couldn't get Q2010 to work once he updated from Win7 to Win10.

Based on that and the recommendation from Greg, I installed Q2013 on a laptop that I have that already has Win10 on it. I also copied my latest backup Quicken file on the laptop. After doing this, I opened the Q2013 on the laptop and it seems to be working fine with all my old data.

So, I guess I'll next update to Q2013 on the old PC and then update it from Win7 to Win10.
  • JDhelpmefixJDhelpmefix Member
    I have loaded Quicken deluxe 2010 to my new win10 machine and it works fine, but now I'm getting a message I need to register the software and when I try, I get a webpage that says "Can't reach this page". My software is so old its a cd in a box with no activation or unlock code.
  • Greg_the_GeekGreg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you downloaded and installed the latest available Q 2010 patch file from

http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatches.html

The bypass procedure you may have seen applies to Q 2014 and older.
    Bypass registration (Quicken for Windows 2015)
    You can bypass the registration request by holding Ctrl + Shift and clicking the Update Accounts OSU blue arrow icon to turn off the registration requirement.  When the message “You will no longer be prompted for registration” appears, click OK.

Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27
    My notes say to LEFT Ctrl+Shift+Alt when you click on Tools->One Step Update bypass the registration on the older versions for 2008 and later.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

This discussion has been closed.