Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Add a FITID column in QWin investment registers [EDITED]

Rocket J Squirrel
Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
It appears that QMac has a FITID column. I did not know that. Can we please get a FITID column in QWin registers?
This would make duplicate transactions so much easier to find, especially if we could sort on that column.
Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
7 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Just to add, I know that QWin has a "Downloaded ID" field in banking registers only. But it is too narrow to see the entire FITID.
    For example, a transaction whose entire FITID is 00094320124-126.5202001244201.86 only shows up to the 5202, truncating 12 characters, and I can find no way to see the whole ID in the column.
    And the entire column is missing from investment registers.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tell the banks to K.I.S.S.
    The FITID doesn't have to be a mile-long string composed of things like account number + timestamp + amount or some-such "make it unique" folderol.
    All you need for a FITID to be is a sequence number that is assigned to each transaction of a customer as soon as the transaction is recorded and stored within the transaction record in the bank's database .
    Whenever the transaction is downloaded, for the first time or anytime later, by whatever means, DC, EWC, etc., the same unique FITID is always transmitted to the customer. This avoids the need to recalculate FITIDs, potentially arriving at different results using different calculation methods based on protocol.
    It's my understanding that a FITID is supposed to be a "unique transaction number". Let's keep it simple and make it truly unique within the transactions of each customer. It doesn't have to be a totally unique number within the entire universe. Unique within the account suffices.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    UKR said:
    Tell the banks to K.I.S.S.
    Righty right right. I'll just call up the CEOs of all my FIs and tell them to KISS. I speak with them so frequently I have them on speed dial. This should only take a few minutes.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Chris_QPW said:

And from what I see, it isn't truncated, just expand the DownloadedID column.

Genius. I hadn't thought to collapse my 2-line register to 1 line.
    The best part is that the 1-or-2 line options retain their own column settings. So I can set my accounts to show the FITID in the 1-line view and leave its non-expandable clutter out of my usual 2-line view.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I earlier in this discussion commented about "K.I.S.S." ... here's a credit card company that's taken FITIDs to a whole new level:
    I mean: Seriously! Is that really necessary?! Especially when one compares to the next field, INTU.CC_TXN_ID. Short, sweet and unique, too.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Wow, yes I agree that financial institution is taking it to extremes!

Looks to be some kind of hash/encryption of all the payment details, but even then it doesn't have to be that long.

Here is one that my program generated.
    w9mcE6NrckMw80BKVPV8OQ

Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Edited title of post to remove "bank and" before "investment registers" now that I know how to see the full extent of the FITID in banking registers.