Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

why an annual subscription instead of a 3 year upgrade? [edited]

margolisrn@575
[email protected] Member
edited January 2020 in Before you Buy
I am now being told that to continue to use Quicken I must not only upgrade from version 2017 but subscribe yearly to Quicken. In the past I have been able to upgrade every 3 years and continue to use Quicken to monitor and archive my accounts. If this is true, then I will be paying in perpetuity for the 'privilege' of using Quicken. I believe there are other options available, including some that are open access. Again, why an annual subscription instead of a 3 year upgrade???

Best Answers

Answers

• This fits into the new "subscription" model for most businesses...e.g. YouTBE TV, NETFLIX, etc, etc. What incentive do I have to not seek alternatives?
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    The alternatives don't work as well, might be a good incentive.
    You are free to do what you want.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • garymorgan
    garymorgan Member
    edited January 2020
    [rant redacted]
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    If our vote matters, Quicken wouldn't be forcing this subscription down our throats!
    Being realistic about the vote, sales of Quicken are well over 7 digits and there are only a total of 170 votes right now, doesn't seem like many people care.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
This discussion has been closed.