Quicken hangs on data entry, then crashes.

I am running Windows Pro version 1909 on a 64-bit operating system.
Quicken Deluxe r24.11 build 27.1.14.11 windows 10 hangs on data entry. I type in my data, it hangs, with the little blue circle spinning. Often the screen goes slightly blurry. Currently, it won't accept queries in the search box -- I have to wait for a few moments before it will accept typing.
After a few entries, it crashes.
Currently, Quicken is unusable because of these problems.

Have tried validating my database, but it found no errors.
But really, this sounds like an installation problem, so I un/reinstalled Quicken, but no luck. I even tried QcleanUI for 2017.

How do I get Quicken to simply accept data and not hang or crash?

Best Answer

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Validate and Repair does not detect and repair all possible data file corruptions.   If you haven't already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows

If the issue persists after a Validate and Repair, we may perform a Super validate by pressing Ctrl + Shift and select File > File Operations > Validate and Repair...
  • Amy Law
    Amy Law Member ✭✭
    Thanks, Sherlock!
    I did a super validate, but still found no errors. When I tried to enter data, Quicken crashed, faster than ever.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should reinstall your Quicken software. Something may have gone wrong installing software updates. Let's eliminate that possibility.

Uninstall / QCLEANUI / Reinstall

Please follow this procedure, using a Windows User Account with full Administrator privileges:
    http://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken
    If you have previously used this procedure and have the cleanup programs already on your hard drive then please download them again to obtain the most recent version.
    When done, reboot your computer and then reinstall Quicken from your CD or saved downloaded installation file or your account at quicken.com and allow it to update to the latest available patch release level.

Afterwards, if Quicken still crashes when you're trying the failing process again, your Quicken data file may still have damage, but in areas that Quicken Validate is not programmed to look for. Restore your Quicken data file from a Manual or Automatic Backup taken prior to the problem first occurring, if necessary going back to older backups until you find a file that does not exhibit these symptoms.
    https://www.quicken.com/support/how-backup-or-restore-your-quicken-data
  • Amy Law
    Amy Law Member ✭✭
    UKR
    Thanks for taking time to help.
    I deleted Quicken, and downloaded a fresh copy (one that says it has QcleanUI built in) from GEN82217.
    When I tried to reinstall Quicken, I got "Error Code 1310. Error writing to file: C:\Program Files (x86)\Quicken\BindContent.exe."
    When I looked in that directory, the BindContent.exe was the only file there, and when I tried to delete the directory, I was told that I needed System rights to do so.
    I have attached the Install log as a pdf.
    Thanks again for your help.
  • Amy Law
    Amy Law Member ✭✭
    Update: I turned off my security software and was able to load a fresh copy of Quicken. Unfortunately, it is still crashing, faster than ever.
    I'll try restoring a backup.
  • Amy Law
    Amy Law Member ✭✭
    I restored a previous version of the database, and that helped for about 10 minutes.
    The trigger seems to be using tab to move between the check # and Payee fields, or searching in the account search field.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file? Do you have Controlled Folder Access enabled in Windows Defender? Are you using OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Backup?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Amy Law
    Amy Law Member ✭✭
    Thanks, Quicken Tyka and Greg the Geek. I appreciate your willingness to help, but I do think it's time to talk to support.
This discussion has been closed.