Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Quicken 2007 vs 2020

When downloading bank transactions in Q2007, Quicken used to figure out if a manually added transaction was off, if the payee was the same but the manual and downloaded amounts were different. Will that feature return? It’s annoying to have to go back and delete the old transaction and put in the proper categories and notes.

Best Answers

Answers

• Meg
    Meg Member ✭✭
    I had no idea that Quicken had a drag and drop feature anywhere. Is there anywhere else where it is supposed to work?
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Accepted Answer
    @Meg If you enter a transaction in a wrong account, you can drag the transaction from the current register to a different account on the left sidebar to move it. (Works for banking and credit card accounts, but not for investment accounts.)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Meg
    Meg Member ✭✭
    Thanks for this! Are there still other ways to use drag and drop in Quicken? Who knew!?
  • John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Meg said:
    Thanks for this! Are there still other ways to use drag and drop in Quicken? Who knew!?
    One other way is in the Category list: you can drag the categories around to promote them (turn them onto Parents) or demote them (turn them into sub categories of others.) 

The easiest way to see how this works is just trying it. You can always command+z (undo) to undo the change to switch things back to the way it was before dragging.

I do suggest you make a backup before you try anything, though.
  • Meg
    Meg Member ✭✭
    This is wonderful! I cannot tell you how much I appreciate your suggestions. I've used Quicken for nearly 20 years (first on a PC, and then when it had a Mac application and I converted to a Mac), but your help is the best. Thank you so much! Please feel free to add to this thread with other suggestions. Very much appreciated.
  • John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited January 2020
    There are several tips the people more familiar with the rewritten version of QMac can give-it might be better if you post questions as you see fit.

A few things that do come to mind for people coming from 2007 (Mac) and older are:

• Ability to pick and choose which columns to display in each register. You can also drag the headers around to move (or resize) the columns to your desired order. Clicking on each will make that the sort key for your register. Click again to toggle the sort order. This is handy when grouping transactions together such as seeing uncleared transactions, etc. You will want to keep the register sorted by Date for day to day use, though so that your running balance is valid.
    • Live searching via the Search box upper right.
    • Selecting transactions and seeing the count/total value of selected upper right of the Window. Great for quick calculations without pulling out a calculator. Use this in conjunction with Live Search to find answers quickly without having to resort to running reports.
    • Printing the register as a report: select some transactions and choose to print. (You don't have to actually print it-open in Preview to see the results. Notice the flexible options.
    • Ability to batch change transactions: select a few transactions and hit command+I. You can clean up transactions this way. Explore your options.
    • Clean up/Merge payees and categories in the Lists to make global changes quickly.
    • Use Account groupings in the Sidebar to search/batch edit multiple transactions across accounts
    • Hit option+command+i to inspect all details of a transaction without having to show columns
    • When in a register, click on the Spending or Income buttons at the top to view the Category Explorer to drill through Categories.
    Those are some starter things to notice. I am sure @jacobs and @RickO can fill in some additional ones-they are very knowledgeable with the newer program, too.
This discussion has been closed.