Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

PROBLEM: Quicken Mac imported wrong cash values in Investments from QM2007

Scott Rose
Scott Rose Mac Beta Beta
Trying to import my Quicken 2007 data into the new Quicken Mac has been extremely frustrating.

The new Quicken Mac imported my investment brokerage account with the proper quantity of stock shares for each stock in my investment brokerage account, but it gave me a wildly incorrect cash balance for my investment brokerage account.

In Quicken 2007, it shows my proper cash balance for my investment brokerage account of $586.08.

However, in the new Quicken Mac, it came up with some crazy number of -$63,482.69 as my cash balance for my investment brokerage account.

The new Quicken Mac brought in all the individual stocks okay, but the cash balance has absolutely no correlation to reality at all.

How do I fix this?

Comments

• Scott Rose
    Scott Rose Mac Beta Beta
    edited February 2020
    I am having a MAJOR PROBLEM with new Quicken trying to import my investment portfolio from Quicken 2007.

Upon importing my investment portfolio, it brought in a wildly different cash balance for my investment portfolio.

See my other post here on this problem: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7868715/problem-quicken-mac-imported-wrong-cash-values-in-investments#latest

Is there any way to fix this issue?
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @Scott Rose There is no way anyone here can tell you what's wrong with your specific data without seeing it. Some people's data comes in nearly perfectly, while other people get placeholder transactions in accounts which cause balances to be off. Other than suggesting that you look for placeholders -- typically at the beginning of time for an account -- it's just impossible to know what your issue is. I would choose whatever investment account has the shortest lifetime, go back to the beginning of time, and start looking at the transactions to see where you're starting to accumulate excess cash. Hopefully once you identify the cause in one place, it will suggest what the solution needs to be elsewhere.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Another thought I just had: with all the problems you reported, I wonder if you'd have better success if you re-opened your Quicken 2007 file and reindexed it (Command-Option-B), then created a new Quicken 2020 file from the Quicken 2007 file. Quicken 2007 is prone to file corruptions that cause oddities large and small, and reindexing often cures all. I have no idea if any of your problems are caused by a flawed import due to funkiness in the Quicken 2007 data file, but it might be worth a try just to see if it resolves some of your problems. If not, continue with the Quicken 2020 data file you've been using; if yes, then although you've done a bunch of work int he past week, you might be better off switching to the new data file.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Scott Rose
    Scott Rose Mac Beta Beta
    Thanks so much for all of your great advice, @jacobs! :) 

Yes, I did the command-option-B shortly before importing all of my data over from Quicken 2007 to Quicken 2020.

I wasn't able to find any weird placeholder transactions in my portfolio transaction register, but I solved it the old fashioned way:

I just received my most recent portfolio statement from my bank, so I just reconciled the account to my newest cash balance — and I allowed Quicken to simply add a balance adjustment transaction of $62,896.61. So, that's good enough for me for now.

Hopefully, everything will be fine moving forward.

Thanks again! :)
This discussion has been closed.