Home Quicken for Windows Errors and Troubleshooting (Windows)

no updates & no file validations fix duplicate calendar entries--a recurring issue prematurely close

As of Feb 3 2020, still no resolution that works to fix duplicate entries of scheduled transactions when updating bills and reminders. This annoying problem is not helped by recommendations published here so far: latest mondo patch, super validation (which yields no errors), deleting and creating reminders. The only thing that "works" is to not use bills and income reminders updates.

No duplicates are found when checking all scheduled transactions. The recommendation loop is so time-consuming that the software is not worth this "feature," which is a persistent bug.

Comments

• BoatnmaniacBoatnmaniac Member ✭✭✭✭
    That's only happened to me one time in more than 10 years of using Quicken...and just in the past week.  Last week I'd manually entered a reminder into my register.  This week another reminder popped up for the exact same transaction but when I checked my reminders list it showed that it was already entered.  So, I clicked on "Delete this instance and all future instances" of this new duplicate reminder.  Then I went back into my reminders list and it still showed a recurring reminder.  It's made me think that there was a hidden duplicate reminder (the one that I just deleted).  I guess I'll find out next month if my deleting this hidden reminder fixed the issue.
    (QW Premier R26.23 on Windows 10)
    If my reply has helped you resolve an issue, please "Like" it so others may know it might help them, too.
  • StuartGStuartG Member ✭✭
    Same issue -- never seen it in 20+ years of Quicken. Duplicate, triplicate, and more entries keep showing up on the calendar. They seem to multiply like rabbits. I delete one, and all disappear. Add one back -- it's fine until you restart Quicken and the multiples start appearing again. I swear, there's a new (or old) issue that crops up with this program every week or two.
  • ralfaro215ralfaro215 Member
    This has to be an issue with the latest update pushed to users. I never had this problem before either and now if I open the calendar, transactions are normal. If I go to the next month and back a month, there is a duplicated reminder again. This seems to happen with new reminders I created since the last update. All of my old reminders seem to be okay. Maybe new reminders are not getting created correctly or there is some sort of bug in that part of the code.

To be honest, the only reason I haven't switched to something else like YNAB or something is because nobody has a calendar with as much function as Quicken. If this is not fixed, you will lose a die hard quicken user of 15+ years.
  • ralfaro215ralfaro215 Member
    Quick update on behavior to replicate this and some other observations.

Steps to reproduce:
    1) Created a new reminder starting February 28th repeating every 4 weeks.
    2) Go to calendar and click today. The reminder is not duplicated on the 28th.
    3) Go to the next month in the calendar and back to previous month. The reminder will be duplicated on the 28th and the projected balances every day after that will be less this duplicated reminder. In other words, instead of $600 less for the reminder, there will be $1200 less in the projected balance.
    4) To clear the duplicated reminder, go to any month other than the current month and click the today button. The calendar will be refresh to the current month and there will be no duplicated reminder again.

Observations:
    1) This affects the projected balances widgets and the calendar widget.
    2) The lowest forecast amount at the bottom of the bills list widget is correct all the time and does not seem to be affected by this bug.

Hope this helps the developers figure out the issue.
  • jwhychejwhyche Member ✭✭
    Why do I keep seeing entries like this in my calendar? I delete them, close quicken a few days later they will be back, in another entry, or just scattered through out the calendar. I run the file validation and more crap in more places.
    I cleaned it up and its back.
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go into Tools / Manage Bill and Income Reminders. Click Options.
    Are any of these "Suggest Reminders" options checked? If so, click to uncheck them.

Still not working?

If you haven't rebooted Windows since you installed the latest software update, please do so now and then try Quicken again.

Let's try some "Troubleshooting 101" to ensure the Quicken software is installed and updated properly and that your data file is in good working order.
    Please perform all the steps in this document:
    Troubleshooting 101 - Fixing Software Installation and Data File Problems

I did that and now it's down here.
    Then I do this, run the repair and validation where it tosses this up.
    QDF:
    Validating your data.
    Quicken found a damaged scheduled reminder and removed it. Please check your scheduled reminders by going to Tools>Manage Bills and Income Reminders.

To which it now does this.

Where up i fix all this and then I'm back to square one with another random repeat entry.
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    How long has that been going on?
    If it only popped up a few days or weeks ago, restore your Quicken data file from a Manual or Automatic Backup taken prior to the problem first occurring, if necessary going back to older backups until you find a file that does not exhibit these symptoms.
    https://www.quicken.com/support/how-backup-or-restore-your-quicken-data
    for weeks and yes I have rolled back to previous backups.
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 3
    If you can't find an old backup that does not have this problem, and

If you haven't done so already, I'd say it's time to call Quicken Support on the phone and request help.  Let them do a screen share session with you to review the situation on your computer, to determine the nature of the problem and to figure out how to fix it.

Quicken Support:

• To contact Quicken Support, please use this link only:
      https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support  and select Chat or Phone support.
      Phone support is only available during posted business hours. The phone number can be found at this website.
    • If you are eligible for Premium Support (purchased separately or included as part of your subscription to Quicken 2018+ Premier or HB&R) call the number that can be found at the top of your My Account page at https://www.quicken.com/my-account  (US) or https://www.quicken.com/canada/my-account (Canada) next to "Quicken Premium Support"  when you log in with your Quicken ID.
    • To start Chat or see the support phone number, your browser must allow popup windows from https://www.quicken.com
    • Other links or phone numbers found elsewhere on the Internet, even in some posts or emails received from other Community members, may not be from Quicken or may not be up-to-date. Use those at your own risk.
    • Unlike other so-called "Quicken support providers", the real Quicken Support is free for all currently supported versions.

Update ... now the behavior seems to be getting worse. I've done the validate an repair process a couple of times, cleared all reminders from the calendar, then add them back. Everything is fine for awhile, can open/close Quicken, and no duplicates. But then, randomly, one calendar reminder will duplicate itself about 6 or 7 times. If I open the reminder, delete one of them, all duplicates including that one disappear .... However, after the deletion, there will be another random calendar reminder that has duplicated itself in the same way. If I delete that set, then another one duplicates. It's like that Whack-a-Mole game.
  • In the Calendar view, my mortgage payment shows up 17 times on one day next month.
    This causes the projected balance to be $1,000's low, and it is the same the following month.
    When I get within 14 day sand it is auto entered, only a single entry is entered.
    Under Bills & Income on the Projected balances tab I see a single mortgage payment entry, but the closing balance drops by 17 times that ammount.
    It only seems to affect the projected balances and such, the bills only get paid once, but it is very annoying.
    Thoughts?
    Talked to support at Quicken and the only advice I could get is to completely start over -- as in start an entirely new QDATA file and re-enter ALL my accounts (and save my old QDATA file as an archive). They have got to be kidding me! It's really inconceivable that there is no clean-up function or patch that can fix this issue. I now have one day's entry in the calendar with about 40 repeated entries ... and it multiplies every time I leave and re-open Quicken. I think we should name this the 'Q'OVID virus.
  • BoatnmaniacBoatnmaniac Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 27
    It might be a data file issue but maybe it is a Quicken program issue.  Have you tried reinstalling Quicken?  I would do that before trying to recreate an entire data file.
    Also, any chance you have a backup file from before your problem started showing up?  I had a data file corruption a few years ago that couldn't be fixed.  Fortunately, I keep a back up from the end of each month so I had less than one month that needed to be dealt with.  Since then I've probably gone overboard on backing up files.
    (QW Premier R26.23 on Windows 10)
    If my reply has helped you resolve an issue, please "Like" it so others may know it might help them, too.
  • Chris_QPWChris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @StuartG Yeah support people tend to fallback on the "start over" idea when they have no idea what to do. Even if you choose to start over that isn't any guarantee that it would fix this (or a lot of the problems they recommend it for).

I have seen this problem popup several times over the last few months. For me it is directly tied to having online bills connected to reminders.

I finally decided to remove all linking between the online bills and my reminders, and the problems went away.
    (I'm using the latest Quicken subscription version)
    See: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7868785/no-updates-no-file-validations-fix-duplicate-calendar-entries-a-recurring-issue-prematurely-close
    Many folks are experiencing this BUG in the program and there's NO current fix, other than possibly removing all links between on-line accounts and reminders.
  • ps56kps56k SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just to clarify for others - please add your version to your comments....
    .... Help --> About Quicken

Quicken 2020 Deluxe - Subscription - Windows 10
  • ps56kps56k SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    jwhyche said:
    for weeks and yes I have rolled back to previous backups.
    Just to clarify for others - please add your version to your comments....
    .... Help --> About Quicken
    Quicken 2020 Deluxe - Subscription - Windows 10
    Chris_QPW - You're exactly right, it seems to be related to setting up links between online bills and reminders. Thank you!
    I removed all my reminders, deleted all the links, set up the reminders manually (again), and voila... no more repeated reminders. There is definitely a bug somewhere relating to those linked bills -- I no longer believe it has to do with a corrupted or too large QDATA file.
    Quicken Version R25.21, build 27.1.25.21
  • emcluskemclusk Member
    The unacceptable response from Quicken really needs to be fixed by the programmers. Users should not be told to start from scratch with (1) an entirely new Quicken file or (2) by deleting all reminders and starting over again [that one never works for me]. This has been going on ever since the 2020 Quicken windows updates.
  • rm1270rm1270 Member ✭✭
    I have been experiencing this issue as well.....have done multiple validate and repairs....fixes it until the next One Step Update. I had sent the issue to report the problem...and as expected.....NO RESPONSE....they know how to take your money....but who cares if you have an issue!!!!! NEED A RESOLUTION!!!!
    Version R26 17
  • Robert BaurRobert Baur Member ✭✭
    I am using Windows version R26.21 and find that manually entered upcoming transactions are duplicated in the calendar, budget and graph windows. Deleting and re-installing has not corrected the problem
  • tdefrancatdefranca Member
    I am using Windows version R26.21. I am having the same problem.
  • LadyB59LadyB59 Member
    I am using Quicken Deluxe v.R26.23 and I'm also having this issue.
  • dagnabit2000dagnabit2000 Member ✭✭
    edited May 22
    I have the same issue, is there any resolution? Or, is this going to be another issue that can only be solved by recreating your file from the ground up. I had to do that last year due to a different issue. I have about 25 reminders. It sucks to have to recreate them once a year.
    Edit: Version R26.23