Home Quicken for Mac Paying Bills, eBills & Scheduled Transactions (Mac)

Modify payee that was used already

I have a few payees that were used. I’m using direct connect to my bank and a few bills were taking longer than 5 days to clear. My bank said that I didn’t have the full account number for some of the payees.

I did that on purpose just putting my last name with last four digits of account number to be more secure. My bank said that could cause an extra day to find my account.

So I’m looking to modify a few payees to include full account number. I see that I cannot edit the payee name or account number because I already used it.

What’s the best way to modify a payee name and/or account number? I’m assuming I have to create a new payee so If I need to delete old payee as part of this Do I need to delete the cloud data too? Will my transactions with the old payee be disturbed (assuming I wait to they are cleared).

Comments

• Quicken_NatalieQuicken_Natalie Moderator mod
    edited February 5
    Hello @djbenedetti,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your inquiry, although I apologize that you have not yet received a response.

What version/release of Quicken are you using? You can find that by going to Quicken>About Quicken. Also, please see this FAQ for details on adding more information to your post so that other Community members are best able to assist you.

Unfortunately, you cannot edit payees after an online payment has been made and attached. Therefore, you will want to create a new Payee with the full account number, and then be sure to use the new one moving forward. 

You can then go to Window>Payees & Rules, highlight the old Payee from the Payees tab, and hit the minus sign on the bottom left of this window. This will not remove the Payee, but will hide it so that it is not suggested for future use. 

Please see the information available here and here for more details. 

Additionally, when using Direct Connect Bill Pay, you will also want to be sure to contact your financial institution, as it sounds like you have already done, just to clarify that the payment(s) you have already submitted are still being processed. 

Hope this helps!

-Quicken Natalie

• djbenedettidjbenedetti Member ✭✭
    @Quicken_Natalie I'm using Quicken for Mac 5.14.3. I can't create a new payee because when I login to the payee Quicken only lets me use what is already in the cloud. Do I need to "reset" the cloud? Hiding it does not change Quicken from seeing it again when I try to add a new payee.
  • Quicken_TykaQuicken_Tyka Moderator mod
    Hello @djbenedetti

Thank you for providing more information, although I apologize that you haven't received a follow-up response.

If you haven't done so already, please try logging onto the bank's website and see if you are able to access and edit the online payees from there.

Please let me know how it goes!

-Quicken Tyka
    -Quicken Tyka
    @Quicken_Tyka What? Through my bank? Edit the payees on my banks website? > @Quicken_Tyka said:
    > Hello @djbenedetti

>
    > If you haven't done so already, please try logging onto the bank's website and see if you are able to access and edit the online payees from there.
    >
    > Please let me know how it goes!
    >
    > -Quicken Tyka

That's not possible. My bank receives the pay request and then pays the bill electronically or by US mail. There's no down time to be able to access the information on the check to change it again. Do I understand your recommendation?
    @John_in_NC Have you heard of people doing what @Quicken_Tyka is recommending? That's a closed system (ie not accessible) once I send to my bank isn't it?
  • John_in_NCJohn_in_NC SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi, @djbenedetti

I really can't answer as I have never used Bill Pay in any shape or form. But, what she suggests about editing at the bank's website sounds logical as Quicken syncs payees with your bank.

As far as editing payees for transactions still being processed-I don't know, but would suspect not. Again, I really can't answer accurately. 
    @John_in_NC Thx. I would actually like to add a new payee (new version of one that needs to be edited) in quicken. When I try and log into the payee as part of the "add payee process in quicken" it checks the cloud and finds the existing payee and then defaults back to the one account I have with that payee and I have no other option other than choose that payee from the cloud. Do I need to "reset the cloud"? Is there harm in resetting the cloud?
  • John_in_NCJohn_in_NC SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am sorry I cannot help, and I defer any answers to those who use Bill Pay. 

It is one of the few features of Quicken that I do not use.

@smayer97, you helped me in the past. I would like to add a new eBill payee (a new version of one that needs account number to be edited) in quicken Mac 5.14.3. When I try to add an eBill Payee and log into the payee as part of the "add payee process in quicken" it checks the cloud and finds the existing payee and then defaults back to the one account I have with that payee.
    I have no other option other than choose that payee from the cloud. Do I need to "reset the cloud"? Is there harm in resetting the cloud?
    Hello @djbenedetti

Thank you for the response, I wanted to add this bit of information.

https://www.quicken.com/support/managing-payees-quicken-mac

Are you able to edit the existing bill pay transactions to have a different payee or do you receive an error when attempting to do so?

Please let me know!

-Quicken Tyka

-Quicken Tyka
    @Quicken_Tyka I know you can't edit a payee name and account number once you pay with it. Edit the transaction where?
    Hello @djbenedetti

Thank you for the response, although I apologize for not elaborating further.

The transactions in the register in Quicken that contain the payee in question.

The payee cannot be removed/edited because it is in use by the transactions in the register.

I hope this helps to clarify!

-Quicken Tyka
    -Quicken Tyka
    @Quicken_Tyka I didn't ask if or why the payee can't be removed/edited. I know it can't. I'm trying to add a new payee but can't (as my original question states above). I talked to Quicken support via phone so I don't need you to answer. Thanks for trying.