QW2016 quits with Server File Failed to Load message

Hi all,

I am a UK Quicken user and happily using QW2016 Premier R19.5 as I work in offline mode and have no need for connected services.

In the last week, every few times I run Quicken, it quits with the error message "Unable to check for updates. The server file failed to load". Clicking on More Help shows "We are unable to connect to the Quicken server".

Now I understand that this may well be because Q2016 is out of support as far as Quicken are concerned, but if this is by design and not a fault at Quicken's end, is there some way that I can turn off checking for updates within Quicken?

It is a minor annoyance when I run Quicken on my normal desktop, as I just have to restart it and it will then run normally a few more times until the next update check when it quits again, although I typically use Quicken several times a day so it is not a rare occurrence. But I also run it in a VM and it takes several minutes to load. When it shuts down and I have to restart it, I am having to wait another several minutes for it to reload before I can do anything useful.

Answers

• You are lucky you can still use Quicken. Mine failed last Saturday with the message "The server file failed to load". Now I cannot run Quicken at all! The title appears, and then the screen goes blank. Fortunately I have another copy on a laptop. As a precaution, I turned off the wifi and then tried to run it. This time successfully. So, have Quicken now sabotaged 2016? I have tried to re-load it on my desktop computer with the wifi turned off, but it still will not run.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
  • phil
    phil Member ✭✭
    > @Roy Bbrixton said:
    > You are lucky you can still use Quicken. Mine failed last Saturday with the message "The server file failed to load". Now I cannot run Quicken at all! The title appears, and then the screen goes blank. Fortunately I have another copy on a laptop. As a precaution, I turned off the wifi and then tried to run it. This time successfully. So, have Quicken now sabotaged 2016? I have tried to re-load it on my desktop computer with the wifi turned off, but it still will not run.

I get the message box stating "Unable to check for updates. The server file failed to load" and the main program window closes immediately, leaving the message box display. If I close the message box I can then start Quicken normally a certain number of times until the behaviour repeats itself. I am getting the same behaviour on three different machines (desktop, laptop and desktop VM) which all have an internet connection, but (so far) I haven't experienced Quicken n ot being able to run at all.
  • phil
    phil Member ✭✭
    > @Greg_the_Geek said:
    > Patch Error: Unable to check for updates, the server file failed to load

Greg, I've already seen that, but thanks. It seems to refer to an attempt to install a Mondo Patch update, but I'm not trying to install any updates. All three copies of QW2016 that I use are patched to what I believe is the latest (last) 2016 version R19.5, and I don't see the "Index and length must refer to a location within the string" message mentioned in the article you linked to. Instead, I am being told "We are unable to connect to the Quicken server".

As mentioned in my reply to Roy above, this behaviour has started happening on three copies of QW2016 running on three different machines in the last few days, and the likelihood that something has gone wrong with my installation on all three at the same time seems so remote that I am assuming it is a remote (Quicken) issue.

Ever since QW2017 was released, once every certain number of times that I started Quicken, I would get a nag box open on the main Quicken screen before my data file loaded, inviting me to upgrade to the latest version. I had to physically close that box before I could enter my data file password, and despite it having a "Don't show this again" tick box, it always reappeared every few iterations of running Quicken.

This "Server file failed to load" message box follows the same behaviour when starting Quicken and seems to be appearing with the same frequency as the upgrade nag box used to do, apart from the fact that it immediately causes the main Quicken window to close as soon as it appears.

So what I suspect is that whatever mechanism at Quickens' end caused the upgrade nag box to appear has failed somehow. I recall when the nag box first started to appear (early in the release of QW2017?) some users worked around it by altering one of the Quicken config files, but I never did that and I also recall that sometime later Quicken coded an update which prevented users working around the nag box!

It doesn't seem that I am able to stop Quicken attempting to check for updates every "n"th time it is run, but if the issue I'm experiencing is the result of an issue at Quickens' end, conscious or otherwise, I'd kind of like it if they could fix it ;-)

As I say, I find it hard to believe that the problem has started simultaneously on three different installations of the program, and I'm not experiencing any other network connectivity issues.
  • phil
    phil Member ✭✭
    Just to add, on the occasions when Quicken opens normally between the iterations that cause the error box to appear, if I go to "Check for Updates" in the Help menu, I got a message box that states "We are unable to contact the Quicken server. Please check your internet connectivity and try again. If the problem persists, try again later".
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds to me as if a server used to check registration status for Q 2016 was turned off at Quicken.
    Typically, your Antivirus / Firewall software has a configuration record which explicitly allows Quicken to establish outgoing Internet connections. You can try to figure out how to change "allow" to "block access" instead.
    Alternatively, disconnect your computer from both Ethernet and WiFi every time before you start Quicken.

• I have managed to get QW2016 working again on my desktop. I used the Quicken cleanup program QCleanUI.exe to delete everything to do with Quicken and then did a search on Quicken and Intuit to find and delete everything else, except the installation program Quicken_RPM_2016.exe. I then installed the program and used my normal Quicken username and password to activate the program. I then turned off my internet connection and ran the program successfully. This program installs version R14.1. I suspect the R19.5 patch may be the cause of our problem. I will continue to run with the Internet off for the time being to prevent it trying to do an update.
  • phil
    phil Member ✭✭
    Roy, thanks for that. I would suggest it may be beneficial to update to at least R16.1 as the release notes for that release state that it fixes an issue where users will not be able to open a data file in the event of a Quicken.com outage.

There were also a lot of basic program fixes and improvements to reliability in release R15.3

If you were to re-enable your internet connection, could you try the "Check for Updates" function in the Help menu. If it reports that you are unable to connect to the Quicken server, it would help to confirm that the issue is at Quickens' end.
  • phil
    phil Member ✭✭
    > @UKR said:
    > Sounds to me as if a server used to check registration status for Q 2016 was turned off at Quicken.

Yes, that's what I suspect has happened. If I run "Check for updates" it fails with a can't connect to server message as I've said. However, when I select "Quicken ID, mobile and Alerts" from the program preferences, it populates with all of my Quicken ID and profile information as expected.

I'll have to enable logging and see if I can locate the server address that the program is trying to contact as you suggest. Although as the communication seems to be hardwired into the program to initiate a connection every nth time it is started, I'm not sure that blocking the connection from my end will achieve anything apart from mimicking what is already happening, i.e. an inability to connect to the server.

It would be helpful if Quicken could confirm whether this is by design or an error. Obviously using an older version of the program I am not expecting routine product improvement updates, and I could live with having to periodically cancel a warning box to carry on using Quicken as normal. But as I understand it, Quicken has always guaranteed that legacy versions of the program can be used in basic data entry mode in perpetuity. If something has changed at their end which now causes the program to shut down, a small fix to prevent that would be appreciated.

When Quicken (then Intuit) withdrew from the UK market in or around 2005, they sent me and all other registered users an updated version of the then current release which bypassed the soon to be turned off registration check requirements, that would have prevented the program from running. I carried on using that version of Quicken XG (UK) right through to 2013, when I switched to QW2013 US on the understanding that I could use it in offline mode without any restrictions as above, updating to QW2016 in due course.
  • As requested by Phil, I re-enable the Internet and checked for updates. I did get the message that it was unable to connect to the server. The only update I can find is the R19.5. It seems that the earlier R15 and R16 updates are no longer available, so I will run R14 for the time being.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • phil
    phil Member ✭✭
    > @Roy Bbrixton said:
    > As requested by Phil, I re-enable the Internet and checked for updates. I did get the message that it was unable to connect to the server. The only update I can find is the R19.5. It seems that the earlier R15 and R16 updates are no longer available, so I will run R14 for the time being.

Thanks Roy, that's as I suspected. All the patch files are available from the link that Greg posted. I keep copies on my NAS also.
  • phil
    phil Member ✭✭
    For anyone else encountering this issue, or who may find this thread in future - in the absence of any help from Quicken, despite requesting advice from @Quicken Sarah on another thread, I think I can report some success.

A week ago, I altered the following line in the quicken.ini file in C:\Program Data\Intuit\Quicken\Config

Original line = "Periodic_update_period=4"

Changed to = "Periodic_update_period=0"

I've not had a single Server File Failed to Load error since :)
  • FortFun
    FortFun Member ✭✭
    Phil, Thanks so much for your efforts and posting this. As soon as I log off I'll give it a try and post back after I've used Q2016 a few times.
  • FortFun
    FortFun Member ✭✭
    Phil, you are the man. After making the changes you posted and testing Q2016 a few times I can report the problem is solved. Thanks so much for your efforts!
  • phil
    phil Member ✭✭
    Glad it's helped. No further issues here either.

Just be aware that it doesn't stop the log file at
    "C:\Users\USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\Intuit\Quicken\Log\quickenPatch.txt" continuing to log the error message every time you run Quicken. Hope you have plenty of disc space ;-)
This discussion has been closed.