Home Quicken for Windows Download, Add/Update Accounts (Windows)

Trying to download from bank and alert to close current file appears

Trying to download from bank and alert to close current file appears

Comments

• SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please provide the year and version of Quicken being used: select Help > About Quicken
    Please provide the full name of the financial institution and the connection method being used: open the register, press Ctrl + Shift + E and select the Online Services tab.

Are you able save the downloaded to a file and import the QFX file from within Quicken (select File > File Import > Web Connect (.QFX) File...)?
    Quicken user since 1997
    Premier on Windows 10
  • Glenn YoungGlenn Young Member ✭✭
    Ver 2019 R22,15 Canada also it doesn't matter which bank, cc, all due the same
  • Quicken_TykaQuicken_Tyka Moderator mod
    Hello @Glenn Young

Thank you for providing more details, although I apologize that you haven't received a response.

Do you still receive this error when attempting to import the file by going to File > File Import > Web Connect (.QFX) File?

Please let us know!

-Quicken Tyka

-Quicken Tyka
  • jimofhjimofh Member ✭✭
    I have same problem. I'm using Quicken Deluxe Version R24.14 Build 27.1.24.14 (Subscription) with Windows 10. Whenever I initiate a transaction download from any of my online accounts (bank, credit card, etc), using Firefox (latest version), with Firefox action to open QFX file with Quicken Windows program, I get error box in Quicken saying "Close Current File? YES NO". These types of downloads all worked until latest version of Quicken was installed. When presented with the download file, it's as if Quicken thinks it should open a completely new base file (eg a Qdata.qdf) instead of importing a qfx file. If I do it the long way, ie, save the qfx data file to my computer hard drive, then use the Quicken "File Import" function on the saved qfx file, then that all works correctly and properly. So there's no problem with the qfx files from any of the financial institutions. It's the action that occurs when Firefox sends the qfx download file to Quicken that Quicken is not properly recognizing that as a "file import" request but acting like it's a whole new database qdf file that it needs to open. BTW, if you select YES to the "Close Current File" question, you get an error from Quicken saying "Unknown error in opening data file" which is what you would expect if it is trying to open the qfx file and expecting it to be in qdf file format.
    jimofh said:
    I have same problem. I'm using Quicken Deluxe Version R24.14 Build 27.1.24.14 (Subscription) with Windows 10. Whenever I initiate a transaction download from any of my online accounts (bank, credit card, etc), using Firefox (latest version), with Firefox action to open QFX file with Quicken Windows program, I get error box in Quicken saying "Close Current File? YES NO". These types of downloads all worked until latest version of Quicken was installed. When presented with the download file, it's as if Quicken thinks it should open a completely new base file (eg a Qdata.qdf) instead of importing a qfx file. If I do it the long way, ie, save the qfx data file to my computer hard drive, then use the Quicken "File Import" function on the saved qfx file, then that all works correctly and properly. So there's no problem with the qfx files from any of the financial institutions. It's the action that occurs when Firefox sends the qfx download file to Quicken that Quicken is not properly recognizing that as a "file import" request but acting like it's a whole new database qdf file that it needs to open. BTW, if you select YES to the "Close Current File" question, you get an error from Quicken saying "Unknown error in opening data file" which is what you would expect if it is trying to open the qfx file and expecting it to be in qdf file format.
    If you are not able to import the QFX file by opening the saved file, I suggest you check the Windows Settings for default apps by file type: .QFX should be Quicken Windows.

Otherwise, check Firefox's Applications settings: about:preferences  QFX file should be Use Quicken Windows.

If the issue persists, I suspect a security feature is interfering with the normal function.    Are you using Windows Defender and is Controlled Folder Access enabled?
    Quicken user since 1997
    Premier on Windows 10
  • I have had similar problems - out of the blue. No ability to download via QFZ transfer, one step update or update within the account inside Quicken. All of this worked for years, and now (maybe recent software update?) doesn't. No change to my security software or OS. Quicken admits these problems are on their end. Despite at least half a dozen calls to different techs at Quicken support, and promises promises, it has not been resolved. Long time Quicken user (since the very first release). Very frustrated.
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's a setting in Edit / Preferences / Webconnect:
    Could that be playing a role here?
  • I also have the same problem. As described by jimofh, importing qfx file directly from Firefox does not work anymore. Think it happens at the same time I updated Quicken to last Canadian version. Get the "close open file" message box. Works if saving file and import from file menu. quicken 2019 version 22.15 build 27.1.22.15; firefox 72.0.2
    Good Morning
    Just tried using Chrome to download and it works!!!!!! The problem seems to be between Firefox and Quicken. I hope Quicken can sort this out?
    Good Morning
    Just tried using Chrome to download and it works!!!!!! The problem seems to be between Firefox and Quicken. I hope Quicken can sort this out?
    This implies you should be able to open the saved QFX file using a File Explorer window.

Did you review Firefox's Applications settings: about:preferences ?
    Quicken user since 1997
    Premier on Windows 10
    Yes, I reviewed Firefoxes preferences and still did not work Quicken windows window opens, etc.. Still close file dialogue opens in Quicken.
    Will have to use chrome till Quicken gets it fixed.
    edited February 11
    Yes, I reviewed Firefoxes preferences and still did not work Quicken windows window opens, etc.. Still close file dialogue opens in Quicken.
    Will have to use chrome till Quicken gets it fixed.
    If you haven't already, I suggest you perform a clean uninstall, install and update.  If you haven’t already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken

Please provide the version of Firefox you are using: press Alt + H then A
    Quicken user since 1997
    Premier on Windows 10
  • jimofhjimofh Member ✭✭
    > @Sherlock said:
    > (Quote)
    > If you are not able to import the QFX file by opening the saved file, I suggest you check the Windows Settings for default apps by file type: .QFX should be Quicken Windows.
    >
    > Otherwise, check Firefox's Applications settings: about:preferences  QFX file should be Use Quicken Windows.
    >
    > If the issue persists, I suspect a security feature is interfering with the normal function.    Are you using Windows Defender and is Controlled Folder Access enabled?

As I indicated in my original post, Quicken Windows IS GETTING OPENED when I initiate a QFX download from my financial institution (eg, Chase Bank, Barclay Bank) -- but the action that Quicken takes is a pop-up box "Close Current File? YES NO". So the first two suggestions of your reply have no bearing -- Quicken Windows is getting selected and opened. Controlled Folder Access on Windows Defender is not enabled (it is Off). Also, per your last suggestion to Glenn Young, I did a clean install of Quicken -- that had no effect on this QFX handling problem. Also as I mentioned in my original post, when I save the QFX file to my hard drive and then use the Quicken Import function on the file, that works ok and is successful. So the problem has something to do with how Quicken recognizes or opens the QFX file when presented the file from Firefox -- it is not recognizing it as a QFX file and so is issuing the prompt "Close Current File? YES NO".
    jimofh said:
    > @Sherlock said:
    > (Quote)
    > If you are not able to import the QFX file by opening the saved file, I suggest you check the Windows Settings for default apps by file type: .QFX should be Quicken Windows.
    >
    > Otherwise, check Firefox's Applications settings: about:preferences  QFX file should be Use Quicken Windows.
    >
    > If the issue persists, I suspect a security feature is interfering with the normal function.    Are you using Windows Defender and is Controlled Folder Access enabled?

As I indicated in my original post, Quicken Windows IS GETTING OPENED when I initiate a QFX download from my financial institution (eg, Chase Bank, Barclay Bank) -- but the action that Quicken takes is a pop-up box "Close Current File? YES NO". So the first two suggestions of your reply have no bearing -- Quicken Windows is getting selected and opened. Controlled Folder Access on Windows Defender is not enabled (it is Off). Also, per your last suggestion to Glenn Young, I did a clean install of Quicken -- that had no effect on this QFX handling problem. Also as I mentioned in my original post, when I save the QFX file to my hard drive and then use the Quicken Import function on the file, that works ok and is successful. So the problem has something to do with how Quicken recognizes or opens the QFX file when presented the file from Firefox -- it is not recognizing it as a QFX file and so is issuing the prompt "Close Current File? YES NO".
    There are three different ways to import a QFX file:  
    1. At download using the web browser
    2. Opening the QFX using Windows
    3. Importing the QFX using Quicken
    Some users are successful with one or more of these approaches.  All three work fine for me using Firefox 73.0 and Windows 10 1909.  Quicken Windows GETTING OPENED from the web browser does not mean you're not going to be successful at importing the QFX using File Explorer.

The intent of the clean uninstall and install was to have Quicken's installer reset the Quicken's file type association in Windows.  

If the issue is Firefox specific, I suspect the location Firefox uses to temporarily save the downloaded file  (the user's hidden AppData\Local\Temp folder) is being protected by a security feature.

Quicken user since 1997
    Premier on Windows 10
  • JustMeHereJustMeHere Member ✭✭✭✭
    Here is some information that might be used to determine where the problem lies.

As far as Quicken is concerned this is how it gets the information to open a QFX file. Quicken is run with the -X option and the name of the QFX file.

So from a command line prompt it looks like this:
    C:\Windows\System32>"C:\Program Files (x86)\Quicken\qw.exe" -X C:\tmp\ChaseChecking.QFX

If this works to open the file, "Quicken" the program isn't the problem (which is highly unlikely from the discussion above).

The next step checks if the default program setting in Windows is setup correctly.

Browse to the QFX file using File Explorer and open it. If that works the default program setting is correctly setup. Note that at times over the years I have seen people that have Quicken associated with the QFX file, but down in the guts of the Windows registry the command line being used doesn't have the -X option.

This will give the exact messages that is being described here in this discussion. The reason is because to open a QDF file from the command is exactly the same without the -X option. At first Quicken doesn't look at the type of the file it just thinks it is a QDF file, so it asks to close the current one. And if the user says yes to that, it close it and tries to open the "QDF file", and since isn't a QDF it gives an error. I have enclosed a screenshot of the registry setting ("%1" is a stand in for where Windows is going to put the QFX file name).

Fixing this without messing with the registry is the reason for the suggestions about doing a clean uninstall and install, hoping that the install will fix this setting.

If you can open the QFX file successfully from File Explorer then it is either a setting in the web browser or the financial institution isn't "naming" the file correctly. I have seen some financial institution websites that send the wrong type/suffix for the file name, as in in this case they set it to something other than .QFX.
    Using Quicken Subscription Premier (and have a copy of Starter to test things on)
  • JustMeHereJustMeHere Member ✭✭✭✭
    P.S. Note in the screenshot of the registry setting the command line is given twice. Once "unscramble", and "scrambled". It is important that both have the -X set correctly.
    Using Quicken Subscription Premier (and have a copy of Starter to test things on)
    Still having problems with firefox download. Here is my registry.
    Also my Firefox is up todate