Error OL-221 when downloading CHECKING transactions from Citibank

Is anyone else having this problem?

Since Feb. 4, I have had an OL-221 error when I download CHECKING account transactions. (How did the website get broken yet again??) That error means "Quicken is too old for QFX import or QFX file is not correct or not acceptable by Quicken." I'm using Quicken Premier R24.14, latest available.

One-step updating stopped working for me, and Quicken support says that there is a legit issue there, and they are escalating the issue. In the meantime, I have to go back to doing manual downloads from Citibank, account by account.

My credit card download using QFX format works fine, by the way.

Phil
Been using Quicken (and TurboTax) since DOS days in 1990s.

Best Answer

Answers

• Starting on 2-5-20 I began receiving the "Quicken is unable to complete your request QL-221-A" error when using Web Connect with my Citibank Checking account. I am using Quicken Release 24.14

After experiencing a similar problem in May 2019 with Ally Bank, I learned this can indicate a problem with the .qfx file issued by the bank. In Ally's case, there was a missing INTU.BID element in the SONOS header which could be corrected with a simple notepad edit until the bank (weeks later) resolved its formatting problem.

Is anyone else experiencing this error? If so, is there a simple .qfx edit to address it?
  • Frank LindeFrank Linde Member ✭✭
    Lately, I cannot even download transactions manually.
    When I attempt to import the file, I receive a OL-221-A, OL-221-B error
  • Frank LindeFrank Linde Member ✭✭
    I have the exact same issue for the Citibank checking account which I use for quicken bill pay. OL-221-A, OL-221-B
    Citibank credit cards are downloading fine.
  • Phil BurtonPhil Burton Member ✭✭
    A year ago, downloading from the Citi website was working fine. Then they broke the feature that allowed download from all accounts at one go. Then they broke the feature that prevented duplicate downloads from creating new entries in the account registry. Now they completely break checking account downloads.

I'm seriously unhappy at this point.
  • Nothing that I'm trying to import from CitiBank in QFX is working.
    Yes, I also get the OL-221-A, OL-221-B message.
    Yes, home and business R24.14.
    What's wrong there CitiBank?
    Chase Bank, Wintrust, etc. are all importing just fine!

HELP
  • Similar situation - 20 year user - can't download using one step update, update within specific bank account folder in Quicken, or QFX download from Citibank site. If you talk to Quicken Support, as I have repeatedly over a 6 weeks period, they give you different nonsense stories and finally admit it's a known problem on their end. They promise to fix and call you back but they don't. The only thing that worked for me was deactivating all three of my Citibank accounts, deactivating Quicken Bill Pay, and then setting up new Citibank accounts and carefully linking to existing Quicken accounts, reactivating Quicken Bill Pay. Then downloading from inside Quicken. Then you get tons of duplicate transactions which you have to delete one by one. All in all a laborious process, at least half an hour each time. THen maybe it works for 2-3 days, then stops - rinse and repeat. Call Quicken Support and make your dissatisfaction known. They need to get their act together.
  • hpinsleyhpinsley Member ✭✭
    I reported this problem to Citibank last week and even told them what the exact issue was but it still isn't fixed. He's what you can do (I figured this out by examining the logs).

1. Download the file as normal.
    2. Edit the file and make two changes:

(a) Find the line that says ACCTTYPE: xxx. The xxx will be some numeric code. It used to say either CHECKING or SAVINGS. Just change the numeric code to, for example, CHECKING.

(b) Find the ledger balance near the bottom of the file. You'll notice an amount with a ridiculously large number of decimal places. Edit the value to round it to two decimal places.

3. Save the edited file and try to import it. This has worked for me for the past two weeks.
    Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. I really appreciate how you were actually able to communicate with Citi.

How did you communicate? Last time I tried, the Chat function was unavailable on the web site. (spinning circle, forever).
    Did you talk/chat/email with a first-level support person? Second-level?
    What did you say to them?
    Did they understand what you were talking about?
    Did they "accept" the issue?
    Did the promise a response?

How did you identify this problem? What tools or utilities? (I have two other issues with Citi downloads.)

To fix the QFX file, did you use a simple text editor, or something else?
    > @James Bransfield said:
    > Nothing that I'm trying to import from CitiBank in QFX is working.
    > Yes, I also get the OL-221-A, OL-221-B message.
    > Yes, home and business R24.14.
    > What's wrong there CitiBank?
    > Chase Bank, Wintrust, etc. are all importing just fine!
    >
    > HELP
    James, I really feel your pain. I really do, because that's also my pain.

Because of some other download issues last year, I actually wrote a letter to:

Stephen Bird
    Chief Executive Officer
    Global Consumer Banking
    388 Greenwich Street
    New York, New York 10013

I encourage you to write a letter, just so that they know they are doing a lousy job. The response to this letter was a phone call from someone in the "executive response office" or some such. To be honest, all I got on this call was cotton-in-his-mouth non-responses. But at least they knew that I was very unhappy.

[start rant]
    I am kind of gobsmacked that Citibank is making it _harder_ to do online banking, when brick-and-mortar branch banking is less and less relevant. And their attitude of ignoring customer issues makes me think that they are trying to get out of the consumer banking business by driving customers away.
    [end rant]
    > @hpinsley said:
    [explanation snipped to save space]
    >
    > I chatted with someone at Citibank in the chat window and they said that the programmers knew about the problem and would fix it. Unfortunately I didn't get a ticket or issue number but I, perhaps naively, thought it would be fixed pretty quickly.
    >
    > And just in case I wasn't clear, Citi didn't give me the work-around. I told them.
    Thanks very much for this information. Since I have other issues with Citi downloads, now I have a way to try to figure out what is going wrong. Next time I do a chat, I will -demand- a ticket number. The chat support people are very nice, but I think that they have zero-minus ability to influence the website software group.

I have no specific information, but based on all my years doing software product management, based on observations, I would guess that there is a major meltdown going on in the website programming group.

I have to say that i resent the idea that we Quicken users are doing unpaid software quality assurance work for Citibank.
    > @Joanne Franzel said:
    > Similar situation - 20 year user - can't download using one step update, update within specific bank account folder in Quicken, or QFX download from Citibank site. If you talk to Quicken Support, as I have repeatedly over a 6 weeks period, they give you different nonsense stories and finally admit it's a known problem on their end. They promise to fix and call you back but they don't. The only thing that worked for me was deactivating all three of my Citibank accounts, deactivating Quicken Bill Pay, and then setting up new Citibank accounts and carefully linking to existing Quicken accounts, reactivating Quicken Bill Pay. Then downloading from inside Quicken. Then you get tons of duplicate transactions which you have to delete one by one. All in all a laborious process, at least half an hour each time. THen maybe it works for 2-3 days, then stops - rinse and repeat. Call Quicken Support and make your dissatisfaction known. They need to get their act together.

Joanne,

After re-reading this thread top to bottom, and @hpinsley's posts in particular, I think it's clear that the fault lies with Citibank. That said, the first-level Quicken person I talked with did not understand the issue when I explained WHY duplicate transactions were showing up in account registers.

So while it's frustrating to get nonsense answers from Quicken, the real problem lies with Citibank. In a reply to @hpinsley, I posted the address of the Citibank exec to whom I wrote a letter. I encourage you to do the same.

[Technical explanation of the duplicate transaction problem, which may cause your eyes to glaze over:
    The QFX standard requires each and every transaction to have a unique ID, so that if the same transaction is downloaded a second time, the duplicate is detected.
    Last year, around May, Citibank's web site broke that feature, so that all my accounts started showing duplicate transactions.
    [End of technical explanation. ]
  • For me, hpinsley's edit recommendations worked like a charm.

Thanks very much for the insight.
    Kudos to @hpinsley
  • ReshmaReshma Member ✭✭
    I used to be able to download transactions from the Citi website via a QFX file. As of a week or two ago, I keep getting OL 221-A OL 221-B errors when I open the downloaded QFX file.

Spent a bunch time on the phone with a quicken rep who tested a bunch of things and finally said that I need to talk to Citi because it seems that there is file compatibility issue at their end.

Called Citi and was told that they have been getting a lot of calls like mine over the past week or so and they think it has got to do with Quicken's latest update. They claim it is happening randomly with different Citi accounts (eg banking may show an error but credit card would be fine) and even different financial institutions but they haven't been able to pinpoint exactly what the error is.

I don't know what to do next to resolve this issue!
  • JustMeHereJustMeHere Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 12
    Among other reasons OL 221-A and OL 221-B are "thrown" for syntax errors in the QFX file.

You can (but in reality Citi should be doing this) look into the connection log, which is were Quicken reports such errors, and give a "clue" at where the problem is in the file. You get to this log file by selecting Help -> Log Files -> Connection Log...

For instance I purposely changed a field in a QFX file to create an error, and here is the result when I tried to import it.
    ==== Mini-OSU End (20200212/16:03:52) ====
    [Edited to remove entries that weren't from this test.]
    20200212 19:01:09:
    20200212 20:00:01:
    20200212 20:00:34: Not all required fields present. Object: CCSTMTRS missing tag: LEDGERBAL
    20200212 20:00:34:

It isn't whole lot of help to know that I change a BANKTRANLIST to BANKTRANLIS, but one thing it isn't is "random".

Given a QFX file with the problem, it will error out every time. It really shouldn't be that hard to track down what is wrong with the file, and then work backwards in the program that is generating it, to find what the problem is. But of course that is work Citi has to do. You can point such things out to them, but they have to fix it.
  • ReshmaReshma Member ✭✭
    Thank you. I looked up my logs per your suggestion and for the timestamp tied to Quicken failing to open the Citi QFX file, the log file says:

Not all required fields present. Object: BANKACCTFROM missing tag: ACCTTYPE

I don't know if this is because Citi hasn't programmed in the tag or Quicken isn't reading the tag.
  • JustMeHereJustMeHere Member ✭✭✭
    Reshma said:
    Thank you. I looked up my logs per your suggestion and for the timestamp tied to Quicken failing to open the Citi QFX file, the log file says:

Not all required fields present. Object: BANKACCTFROM missing tag: ACCTTYPE

I don't know if this is because Citi hasn't programmed in the tag or Quicken isn't reading the tag.

It is because of what Citi put in the QFX file, and the QFX file itself is the proof.

If you like (really it is Citi that should be doing this) you can edit the QFX file with any text editor.
    The field would look like this:
    <ACCTTYPE>CHECKING

It could be missing, or the wrong "spelling" or even in wrong place, it should be somewhere between:
    <BANKMSGSRSV1>
    and
    </BANKACCTFROM>

The full sequence looks like:
    <BANKMSGSRSV1>
    <STMTTRNRS>
    <TRNUID>1
    <STATUS>
    <CODE>0
    <SEVERITY>INFO
    <MESSAGE>Success
    </STATUS>