Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Annoying message

I get a membership expired message every time I open Quicken. I do not want a membership. I do not want Quicken to have my credit card. And why can't I get updates for a product I paid for without a credit card on file?

Best Answers

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    You don't need to have a credit card on file, purchase Quicken from a retailer and Quicken will not need your credit card unless you signup for auto-renew which, IMO, you should turn off and continue to make your purchases from retailers where you have complete control over how much your Quicken costs you.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • Ron Carr
    Ron Carr Member ✭✭
    Since I already own Quicken, which I bought from Amazon, and do not auto-renew, this does not seem to be true. Without renewing membership, which requires credit card, I get annoying message and lose software updates.
    Ron
  • Ron Carr
    Ron Carr Member ✭✭
    I voted! Thanks for reminder.
    Ron
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    FWIW, you don't own Quicken. You purchased a license to use Quicken which included Online Services for the period of the membership. You can continue to use the software in manual mode (except Starter Edition) and deal with the nag screens or renew your membership.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Ron Carr
    Ron Carr Member ✭✭
    Good point. I will have to remember that when I purchase software...but I will not renew membership.
  • Jerry Unruh
    Jerry Unruh Member ✭✭
    Some of this has been plagiarized form another commenter, but his comments voice mine very well. I've been using Quicken (Home & Business) since 1997. At some point I tried the financial institution automatic transaction download, but could never get the tax categories to fill properly so stopped that. Also used BillPay for a while, but found that my bank(s) service was easier to use and free. So I don't really need any of the online services, and I don't want a copy of my financial data on the cloud. I think that I'm better at securing my data, and I don't use Quicken from my phone.
    I realize that I'm a tech dinosaur, but I was also a an aircraft mechanic for 60 years, and know about integrity I am sure that if I suddenly decided to do things my own way you people that fly would not be happy. I also find that entering transactions manually, which takes me 30-45 minutes a week, helps me keep better watch on my accounts to check for fraud and mistakes.
    Since converting to the subscription service, I have had a problem with saving manually entered transactions, which I reported previously. I was told that my installation to the E: rather than default C: drive (another geeky habit) caused the problem and that I could just uninstall and reinstall. Since backing up after entering transactions and restoring before the next cycle solves the problem, I have not tried that solution.
    Since my subscription expired on 1/5/20, I have been receiving a reminder in the app along with a window that takes up a lot of room saying much the same thing. I don't really need any of the features that I'm losing, and don't want to pay for them. I've considered reverting the the Intuit 2015 version, which was what I was using when I converted, but would rather not spend the time that it would inevitably take. I understand your need for a subscription service to support ongoing product development, but is there any way that long-time users like me could pay for the basic PC app without all the bells and whistles? Or is there at least a way to disable the annoying messages? When I bought the Quicken program I spent hard earned money for something that has worked well up till now. You forget that I bought it from bottom to top and since I don't use any of your online services you have no right to try to take it back.
  • Ron Carr
    Ron Carr Member ✭✭
    Well, I would agree with every statement made above!!!
    Ron
  • cdarling
    cdarling Member
    Absolutely agree. There is something sinister in this also, in that if you want to convert to another piece of software, it is virtually impossible to do so, unless you start from scratch. If for example, you do use the cloud copy and the phone app, and if something happens your desktop data for any reason, Quicken will not allow a restore from the Cloud. So, not much point in having it and paying for it.
  • cdarling
    cdarling Member
    I should have said that I have been using Quicken since 1991!
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    cdarling said:
    … and if something happens your desktop data for any reason, Quicken will not allow a restore from the Cloud. So, not much point in having it and paying for it.
    The Quicken Cloud Account only has the accounts in it that you elect to sync and it starts out with at most the last two years of activity.  Someone like myself with transactions back to 1996, that is not much of a backup.  Backups are too easy to make to either network drives, cloud drives or thumb drives to not make them routinely.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
This discussion has been closed.