SDCCU says unrecognized device (IP = Intuit server) logged into my bank account??

I received a notification email from San Diego County Credit Union that my online banking account was "just accessed by an unrecognized device, IP 206.108.41.105", at 7:15am this morning. WhoIs lookup reveals that that IP is registered to Intuit. We were not accessing the account at that hour, and Quicken (2020 for Windows subscription) was NOT running. There are no automatic updates scheduled.
Is this what it sound like - account password stored in Quicken has been uploaded to a Quicken server and used to access my account?? - or another of the ongoing issues with SDCCU/Quicken (see thread "San Diego Credit Union returns CC-502"). I have contacted both Quicken Support and SDCCU, but my hope of reaching someone able to really look into this is small.
(I realize Quicken is now separate from Intuit, but it seems reasonable that when the separation occurred, Quicken took over the existing servers without re-registering all of them. My SDCCU account seems fine.)
Tagged:

Answers

• BoatnmaniacBoatnmaniac Member ✭✭✭✭
    Are your online services for this account set up for DC (direct connect) or EWC (express web connect)?
  • Joseph WitkinJoseph Witkin Member ✭✭
    Express Web Connect. SDCCU has not spent the $ to obtain Direct Connect- wish they would!
    edited February 7
    With EWC Quicken obtains the financial transactions and account balance information from the FIs in the background and independently of our OSU updates.  That data is then saved on Quicken's server waiting for us to request a download via OSU.  I believe (not 100% sure) that Quicken still uses Intuit server(s) for EWC so that was likely the reason why your credit union flagged it.  It looks like your credit union needs to update their system to trust Quicken inquiries from that IP so it doesn't raise alerts. 
    EWC advantages include faster data retrieval because our Quicken program can retrieve data for a bunch of FIs all at one time from a single server connection.  A disadvantage (minor for most users) is that the downloaded data does not reflect real time information at the FI...it can be hours old.  Another disadvantage is that EWC is not a 2-way communication (probably for security reasons) so we can't send transaction commands to the FI. 
    DC, on the other hand, is a direct connection between our Quicken programs with each FI individually, one at a time.  Since it is one at a time it can (and often does) take a little longer to get all the OSU updates completed.  But it is real time and does allow for 2-way communication so we can send the FI transaction commands.
    I, too, prefer DC for banks so I don't have to also visit the website to set up bill payments.  But for most other FIs EWC is fine.
    Boatnmaniac, thank you for that reply that fully explains everything. Are you Quicken staff? I have been using Quicken for 15 years and never saw an explanation of that.
    SDCCU has always had issues with their Quicken support - very frustrating. At least once a month, after working fine, EWC update fails, usually -502, -503 or -800 error "accounts not found". Sometimes self corrects, but usually have to deactivate EWC for all 3 of my SDCCU accounts and recreate. This morning, even that doesn't work - it wants to add, instead of link, two of the accounts, and the master checking account it finds as "unknown type, unable to add".
    Don't know why they have to keep messing with it.
    You are welcome.  No, I am a user just like you.  I just learn a lot of stuff through trial-and-error (unfortunately, too many errors :smile: ), from Quicken Help, from Quicken Support and from reading and participating in Quicken Community.  The Quicken staff who review and post in this forum will have user names like "Quicken-<name>".
    I've not been experiencing any EWC issues lately but I agree that it's frustrating to need to sometimes deactivate/reactivate.  I usually try resetting first before doing that but that is also hit-or-miss.  BTW, I find that deactivate/reactivate seems to work better when the account number, routing number and customer ID fields in the Account Details pop-up are first cleared before trying to reactivate.
  • Marketing GuruMarketing Guru Member ✭✭
    Getting an unspecified cannot connect at this time error. Tried resetting account and while Quicken appears to logon and find the account correctly, it fails with unspecified "cannot complete" error.

This is with current version of Quicken HB&RP.
  • MHSwizzleStickMHSwizzleStick Member ✭✭✭
    After having connection trouble with SDCCU yesterday and today (error CC-800), I was just now able to deactivate/activate successfully. You might give that a try.
    I'm getting the notification emails too. This also happend last November:
    SDCCU needs to hire someone who knows what they are doing- they have had issues with Quicken for years. 😟
    5 days later, are others out there still seeing errors with SDCCU Express Web Connect transaction download?

I have tried every means of re-establishing connection - restoring backups from when it worked, deactivating and reactivating online download for all my SDCCU accounts or one at a time, refreshing branding and profile, multiple machines, etc. Always the same result - savings and money market checking are ok (though quicken does not recognize the exisiting accounts and wants to "add" - but I can "link" successfully)- but Free Checking is "unknown account type" and cannot be added.
    Running one step update on my file before deactivating the original express web connect that used to work gives "error 800- accounts cannot be found", though it shows account updated as of current date, "no new transactions".

Messages to SDCCU basically say to do manual OFX download (which works)... same message they have given for years when there are issues - but I have never seen the errors last this long. :(
    It doesn't help you any, but the answer to your question for me is, mostly, no. I had to deactivate/activate last October when SDCCU switched to the new online banking site (see thread  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7861982/san-diego-credit-union-returns-cc-502 ). I had to do it again 5 days ago for some unknown reason. Other than that, I have had no errors for years (other than the occasional, temporary glitch that fixed itself after a day or two, knock wood, cross fingers). I tried downloading just now and no errors.
    I have had to deactivate and reactivate my SDCCU accounts three times (including today) since the first online banking changeover. Yes it restores connectivity but it's a royal PITA. Their whole updated platform migration has been a disaster. Their tech support / IT dept doesn't give a rip about Quicken. I've been an SDCCU customer for 30 years.
    Anyone from Quicken monitoring? SDCCU gives out the line that they are "working with third parties" - have they reached out for support??

My wife uses SDCCU - if they were my accounts I would move to another institution.
    I talked to an SDCCU customer service rep who actually communicated by email with IT while I was on the line. They are aware that Quicken express web connect "does not work with many accounts" since the platform changeover. They claim to be "working with Quicken" to fix...
    This morning I did an online transfer of $1 between my SDCCU accounts so that there would be a new transaction to download. After I did that, OSU was able to recognize and add the free checking account. With no pending transactions to download, the account had been "unrcognized type".
    We'll see how long OSU continues to work...
  • glacialglacial Member
    Same problem as Joseph W here. (and frankly, very annoyed to learn that EWC is holding my bank credentials outside of Quicken, and logging in to my bank when I'm not using Quicken -- but that's another issue).
    Tried a full deactivate and reactivate of the failing SDCCU accounts again today. Setup finds the accounts on SDCCU, and links them okay.
    Now running an update doesn't report any errors, but it doesn't retrieve any transactions either. It remains to be seen if it will work going forward.
    I think my next contact with SDCCU will be along the lines of, "Your new online banking system is worse than the previous one. Not happy with that, but could live with it. However, the fact that it now fails to work reliably with Quicken is not acceptable. Either fix it soon or lose a long time customer."
    My feelings exactly. I wish there was a way to really let SDCCU know...
    Yesterday, I deactivated and reactivated my SDCCU bank accounts including our business account in Quicken. It started working again and I was able to D/L transactions. Today I'm back to the same old problems. CC-506 ERROR - Quicken is unable to update your accounts.
    Just got the CC-506 error.