Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Moving from Quicken 2000 and I'm torn

Hi - It's been a 20 year run with Quicken 2000, but maybe now it's over. The hard drive died on the computer I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10, and my vintage Quicken 2000 setup program won't work on my fresh Windows 10 installation no matter what compatibility settings I set for it. Time to get current.

I found the Quicken article about upgrading my Q2000 data file. It seems you go to Q2004 first, and then Q2013, and then Q2020. The article has convenient links to free downloads for Q2004 and Q2013. I copied my QDF file to a virtual machine, installed Q2004, and updated the file. I repeated the process for Q2013 and eyeballed my accounts and all looks okay.

I was just about to spend money for Q2020 and set that up on all my Windows 10 systems here, when I read a boat-load of awful reviews. The forced annual subscription model, annoying nag panels when subscriptions expire, double and triple-entered transactions, reconciled transactions that disappear at random - those all look scary.

And then I saw a suggestion to just stay at Q2013 for now. I'm not sure I have that option, since I never paid for Q2013 and only used it in a virtual machine to upgrade my data file. It's probably restricted to a few activations.

But assuming I have a choice, I'm torn - people like me are probably the reason Quicken went to a subscription model, and I'm okay paying for an annual subscription if it offers value. But the feedback I see in the community suggests the subscription is more parasitical than beneficial.

Maybe I should just keep an obsolete Windows 7 VM handy and milk some more out of Quicken 2000 that way. Thoughts?

Comments

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    … The forced annual subscription model, annoying nag panels when subscriptions expire, double and triple-entered transactions, reconciled transactions that disappear at random - those all look scary.

I agree with you about the nag panels and I wish the subscription price was lower, but I have never had trouble with "double and triple-entered transactions", but then I don't use QMobile/Q-Web.  QMobile works great for some folks and is a nightmare for others.  I can almost bet if you stay away from it and it sounds like you will since you don't use any online banking features, you will not have issues.
    Another thing users will do is try to run Quicken in "auto-pilot" mode of explicitly trusting Quicken to download and import without review by the user.  They will also de-activate and re-activate an Express Web Connect download connection which causes the FITID values (the Q anti-duplication IDs) to be different and introduce duplicates, once again something you will probably not run into.

-splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    I was just about to spend money for Q2020 and set that up on all my Windows 10 systems here, when I read a boat-load of awful reviews. The forced annual subscription model, annoying nag panels when subscriptions expire, double and triple-entered transactions, reconciled transactions that disappear at random - those all look scary.

And then I saw a suggestion to just stay at Q2013 for now. I'm not sure I have that option, since I never paid for Q2013 and only used it in a virtual machine to upgrade my data file. It's probably restricted to a few activations.
    You do not use the online features so those features are of little value to you. The conversion Q2013 version you downloaded is not hampered or restricted in any way. Since you manually maintain your data, there is no reason to move from Q2013.
    I have posted here before that Quicken Inc. should market a current release manual version for the untold thousands of users that choose to input manually at a reasonable one-time cost, but so far they have not listened. :(
    As an aside, a good number of the negative reviews for Q Subscription come from inexperienced users (IMHO). I and many other SuperUsers do not experience the frequency nor severity of problems posted here on a daily basis.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 20H2
  • Wait - I can use Q2013 with no restrictions? Indefinitely? (Or until a future Windows version breaks it?) With no hidden gotchas? As a consumer, that *is* nice - free is good. I guess I'll give it a try. It's a shame the current version doesn't offer me any additional value. Thanks for the advice. I'll post how it goes back here. I wonder if Quicken's new owners hang out here. They're missing a revenue opportunity.
  • I see this forum has many Quicken users going back to 1992. I go back to '94 myself. Does anyone here remember what happened in the IT industry with Computer Associates back in the 90s? CA bought up aging business software packages and then extorted quadruple or more for annual maintenance from existing customers. Is something similar going on at the consumer level here with Quicken?
  • For anyone else who finds this - Q2013 seems fine on both desktops here. I just paid a couple bills (manually) and entered a few transactions. All seems to work fine. I see no evidence of any limits to the number of times I can activate it.

Don't try to register Q2013 on Windows 10 - that breaks and says it wants Internet Explorer 6.0 or newer. And then there's no way to close the broken registration window other than killing the Quicken Launcher with Task manager.

Other than that, it seems fine so far.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser, Mac Beta, Canada Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Yes, it is well established that the free copy of QW2013 by Quicken has no restrictions for manual use.
    Have Questions? Check out these FAQs (links now fixed):COMPLETE list of Product Ideas - Quicken for Mac to VOTE on

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen?
    Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(
    Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

This discussion has been closed.