Home Quicken for Windows Download, Add/Update Accounts (Windows)

Sort sequence of imported transactions

I am creating transactions in an MS Access application to import into Quicken for Windows for check writing.

Everything is working fine in Quicken 2017 except that the check transactions don't appear in the order in which they're entered. That order is important to the client so that she can check the numbers. The transactions show up in payment amount order!

I tried adding a sequence number to the check date, but the Quicken date doesn't include time, so it thought I was sending a different date. That won't work.

I tried adding the sequence number to the word "Print" in the check number field, but the sort was still wrong, and the system thought I had no checks to print. So that won't work, either.

I could add the sorting information to the payee name and set the sort sequence to Payee in the register and Description in the transaction report, but the user will have to remove that text manually before printing checks. Not acceptable.

I could add the sorting information to the Category designation, and set the sort sequences to Category, but that limits the user's ability to set the Category designation.

I found that adding the sorting information to the Memo field doesn't help because the transaction report won't sort by the Memo field.

I can't use the Tag field because I couldn't find a specification for importing it.

Any more ideas?

Best Answer

• cmkay999cmkay999 Member ✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    @JustMeHere and @Rocket J Squirrel,

Thanks so much for all your help. I'm going to recommend to my client that we use the check number to get the transactions to sort properly. And that she change the made-up check number to the word "Print" one by one, printing one check at a time. I discovered that if she changed them all at once, the checks would print in amount order, no matter how the register sort is set up. She told me that the printer tends to eat the checks, so she prints them one by one anyway.

And now I know how to have both versions of Quicken on my machine. Thanks for that advice, too.

Answers

• UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you tried setting the Sort options in the register, using the Actions gear icon, to by Date / Order entered?
    Can't guarantee it, but that might do the trick ... until you print the checks in Quicken and each transaction is updated with the check number.
    Once that's done, you can easily sort the register by Check #.

Yes, I tried that and it didn't work. Do you know of a way to import the order entered date? If so, I could manipulate that. It wouldn't help on the reporting, though, as that's not a possible sort field.

It looks like I'm going to have to use the check number field, and she'll have to change each transaction to get the checks to print.

I can't believe no one else has thought of this.
  • ps56kps56k SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    cmkay999 said:
    I am creating transactions in an MS Access application to import into Quicken for Windows for check writing.
    just wondering what file format you are using for the Import ?

Quicken 2020 Deluxe - Subscription - Windows 10
  • Rocket J SquirrelRocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you try just plain "Order Entered" as the register sort order?
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
    > @ps56k said:
    > (Quote)
    > just wondering what file format you are using for the Import ?

I'm creating an ASCII text file, with a .qif extension, following the specs I found here - http://www.respmech.com/mym2qifw/qif_new.htm
    > @Rocket J Squirrel said:
    > Did you try just plain "Order Entered" as the register sort order?

Doesn't work. Thanks, though.
  • JustMeHereJustMeHere Member ✭✭✭✭
    "I can't use the Tag field because I couldn't find a specification for importing it."

In the "QIF syntax" tags are known was "class".  Here is an example of how to use them in a QIF file:
    LGroceries/Tag1

As far as "Order Entered" not working, I will bet that isn't really true, but the fact is that you aren't controlling the order they are entered.  I would bet you are allowing all the imported transactions to be accepted into the register without the user's input, right?

If so then the order entered is the order that Quicken chooses to order the transactions while doing the import.  And that order might not the order in the QIF file.  If one was to turn off the automatic entry into the register and select transactions one at a time from the Downloaded Transactions tab that would give you the "Order Entered".

Note I didn't go back to Quicken 2017 to check this out, but it is how I remember it working.

With Quicken Subscription (Quicken 2018 on is "subscription") there is an added twist.
    For QIF imports they go directly into the register with any processing as in allow you to use the Downloaded Transactions tab or matching to existing transactions.

But I just tried it to see how it behaves by taking a QIF file where the transactions are in date order and then moving the first one to the end of the QIF file.  And it did move to the end of the register when "Order Enter" sorting was used.

Using Quicken Subscription Premier (and have a copy of Starter to test things on)
    > @JustMeHere said:
    > "I can't use the Tag field because I couldn't find a specification for importing it."
    > In the "QIF syntax" tags are known was "class".  Here is an example of how to use them in a QIF file:LGroceries/Tag1

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. But, again, that order can't be specified in the reporting function.
    > @JustMeHere said:
    > As far as "Order Entered" not working, I will bet that isn't really true, but the fact is that you aren't controlling the order they are entered.  I would bet you are allowing all the imported transactions to be accepted into the register without the user's input, right?
    > If so then the order entered is the order that Quicken chooses to order the transactions while doing the import.  And that order might not the order in the QIF file.  If one was to turn off the automatic entry into the register and select transactions one at a time from the Downloaded Transactions tab that would give you the "Order Entered".
    > Note I didn't go back to Quicken 2017 to check this out, but it is how I remember it working.

My preference is that all transactions be transmitted at one time with no intervention by the user. There may be a couple hundred transactions at a time.

The order of transactions in the .qif file is the correct order that I want them to be accepted in, and reported by, but Quicken 2017 is putting them in Amount order! By default.
    > @JustMeHere said:
    > With Quicken Subscription (Quicken 2018 on is "subscription") there is an added twist.For QIF imports they go directly into the register with any processing as in allow you to use the Downloaded Transactions tab or matching to existing transactions.
    > But I just tried it to see how it behaves by taking a QIF file where the transactions are in date order and then moving the first one to the end of the QIF file.  And it did move to the end of the register when "Order Enter" sorting was used.(Image)

I have the Quicken Subscription installation file, but haven't installed it yet. I'm not sure which version my client is using, and she's not available right now. I'd like to install it to see what my options are, but if I destroy 2017 by installing the new version, I don't know if I can go back.

Can I have two versions of Quicken installed and available?
    > @JustMeHere said:

Based on the example you showed, I'm thinking that the problem may be partially that all of the transactions need to be entered with the same transaction date. If that's the Order Entered date, then I think I have to use the check number for sequencing, and my client will have to manually change that to print the checks.

Not desirable, but the only practical thing?

At least the creation of the transactions by the Access application will keep her from having to type in all the check entries.
    Even though you can install two different year versions of Quicken at the same time it isn't recommended because Quicken wasn't designed for it and has global/user level configuration files that will lbe shared.  It is better to uninstall.  Hold down the control+shift while pressing the button to install to bypass the automatic install.  Note this doesn't work if you install the newer version first.  Also installing a different version of Quicken doesn't affect the data file, and you can switch a new one during the install if you like, just tell it you are a new user.

I decided to install Quicken 2017 and it reminded me of something I forgot.  In Quicken 2017 QIF import always go through the Downloaded Transactions tab.  Quicken 2017 doesn't honor the automatic entry mode when importing QIF transactions.

Give that I tested it and the reason you would have the transactions coming in amount order after selecting Accept All and using "Order Entered" is because you have your Downloaded Transactions tab sorted that way.  If you select the Date column it will be sorted by date, and that is how Quicken will order them in the register for "Order Entered".  Note clicking a second time on the column name reverses the sort order.  You can see what it is by just looking at the transactions in the Downloaded Transactions tab.

So going back to your original problem. I would really summarize it as:
    If I have multiple checks on the same date, is there any way to get them to first sort by date and with a secondary sort by check number when using Accept All while importing the QIF transactions.

I threw in the "sort by date" because if you don't do that then the running total will be wrong, and I will bet that is important to your client too.  Note that if the goal was just to get the checks in sorted order you could just sort the register by check number, so that isn't really the goal.

And from what I can see that is exactly what Quicken 2017 does when sorted by date.  But note the check is sorted by alpha, not numeric.
    The given "MyCheck" transactions below are in the QIF file in the following order:
    MyCheck2
    MyCheck11
    MyCheck1
    (with other transactions in between)
    Note while viewing them in the Downloaded Transactions tab the checks aren't sorted.
    Interesting enough they aren't in the order they were in the QIF file either (or the reverse of that)

Using Quicken Subscription Premier (and have a copy of Starter to test things on)
  • Rocket J SquirrelRocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even though you can install two different year versions of Quicken at the same time it isn't recommended because Quicken wasn't designed for it and has global/user level configuration files that will lbe shared.  It is better to uninstall.  Hold down the control+shift while pressing the button to install to bypass the automatic install.  Note this doesn't work if you install the newer version first.
    I think you meant to say "bypass the automatic uninstall." and "this doesn't work if you install the older version first."
    The Ctrl+Shift trick doesn't work with the subscription version of QWin. That version forcibly uninstalls all previous versions and there's no way to prevent it. So to run 2 versions, you need to install the subscription version first, then install the older version using the Ctrl+Shift trick.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
    And for Quicken Subscription {the same QIF file} (reminder transaction go in without any user interaction/processing)

Quicken subscription fixed the check number sorting so that it does sort alphanumeric.
    Accepted Answer
    @JustMeHere and @Rocket J Squirrel,

Thanks so much for all your help. I'm going to recommend to my client that we use the check number to get the transactions to sort properly. And that she change the made-up check number to the word "Print" one by one, printing one check at a time. I discovered that if she changed them all at once, the checks would print in amount order, no matter how the register sort is set up. She told me that the printer tends to eat the checks, so she prints them one by one anyway.

And now I know how to have both versions of Quicken on my machine. Thanks for that advice, too.
This discussion has been closed.