Home Quicken for Windows Errors and Troubleshooting (Windows)

Bills & Income Tab Crashes Quicken

Any action I take in Bills & Income around scheduled payments crashes Quicken. If I hit "enter" on a scheduled transaction Q crashes--although the payment is entered. If I "edit" a scheduled transaction--either amount or date--Q crashes and the edit is NOT entered. Note--these are just scheduled payments that I enter into the register they are not linked online to any financial institution or payee. Has pretty much rendered Quicken unusable.

Answers

• UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

If you haven't rebooted Windows since you installed the latest software update, please do so now and then try Quicken again.

Still not working?

Let's try some "Troubleshooting 101" to ensure the Quicken software is installed and updated properly and that your data file is in good working order.
    Please perform all the steps in this document:
    Troubleshooting 101 - Fixing Software Installation and Data File Problems

• mquickmquick Member
    Thanks. I followed all those steps. It is still crashing
  • Quicken SarahQuicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator mod
    Hello @mquick

Thank you for trying those steps, although I'm sorry to hear that the crash is persisting.

May I ask, when the crash occurs, does a dialogue window open with an option to submit the crash report to Quicken?

Or does the Quicken window just disappear with no errors, message or dialogue windows appearing?

If you haven't already, please also create a new data file (strictly for testing purposes only) by going to the File menu > New Quicken File option.

In the new data file, please add an account and attempt to access the Bills & Income tab, create some new scheduled transactions, enter and edit the transactions.

Does the crash occur in the new data file? Or does the scheduled transactions work as expected?

Please let us know, thank you.

Sarah
  • irish316irish316 Member ✭✭
    I am having a similar problem. Ever since I updated to version R25.10 and build 27.1.25.10 I cannot open Bills & Income tab. Quicken shuts down every time I try to access it.
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've read a number of discussions about Quicken being crash-prone when the Quicken ID was not properly connected to the Quicken server.
    Try this, please:
    1. Go to Edit / Preferences / Quicken ID, Sync & Alerts
    2. Click the "Sign in as a different user" link immediately above the "Mobile and Web" group.
    3. Sign out, then sign back in to your Quicken account using your current (correct) Quicken ID.

• Andrew CurtisAndrew Curtis Member ✭✭
    I've had the same problem now for several months. I've tried all the troubleshooting steps, supervalidated my file, deleted all bills and re-added them, signed out and back in, updated to the latest version of the software, etc.

When I click on the Bills and Income tab, it typically loads slowly. Then inevitably when clicking on one of the bills it will crash. It won't always be the first time I try to do something with the bills. The longer the program/app has been opened, the more likely it is to occur. It doesn't cause data loss - usually when I reopen the program, either things are as they were before or the bill was actually entered properly. It's just a major nuisance to have to restart the program over and over.

I do get the dialogue window to report the crash to Quicken and have reported it now for months (many, many times) but nothing has been done.

Any more ideas to fix this on my end, or do we have to wait for someone to debug the software?
    Hello @Andrew Curtis

Thank you for sharing the details of this issue with the Community, although I apologize for any frustration or inconvenience experienced.

I took the liberty of searching our system and was able to locate the submitted crash reports.

After reviewing the crash reports, i have a quick question, are there any currently set up Online Billers in your data file?

If so, which billers are active?

Please let us know, thank you.

Sarah
    Thanks. No, I don't have any online billers set up. I have many manual bills but that's it.
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just curious:
    How many manual bills do you have?
    I'd also like to see the "File Information" window  (See below)

- File Information: Click Help in the Menu Bar. CTRL+click About Quicken and it'll give you a File Information box. Please capture an image snapshot of this File Information box and attach it here.
    The Windows Snipping Tool (available with Windows 7 and newer) can be used to capture a partial screen image and save it to a file of file type PNG, JPG, or GIF.

To attach the image here, start composing your response. At the top of the text entry window you'll see a row of icons beginning with B I S
    Click the landscape "Attach image" icon. It will allow you to select and upload the captured image file from your computer. The captured image will be inserted at wherever the cursor is located in the text.

I've got somewhere in the range of 25-30 manual bills.
    Hi @Andrew Curtis

Thank you for the response and providing that additional information.

I asked because when I was reviewing the crash reports, it looks like the system is attempting to make a connection with a Capital One online biller. 

Since the biller doesn't actually exist, it is generating an error that appears to be the root cause of the crash.

Do you happen to use the Mobile/Web companion apps with Quicken?

If not, I would recommend deleting the cloud account, which should remove the internal attempt to connect with Capital One online billers.

To delete the cloud account, you will need to create a new, temporary data file by going to the File menu > New Quicken File.

Name the new file anything you would like and open the file when prompted.  You may see the registration screen, if so, select "Don't Use Mobile" and click through until the "Add Account" window opens.

Close the Add Account window (cancel or the "x" in the upper right corner) and then go to the Edit menu > Preferences > Cloud Accounts

On the right side, select the "Cloud accounts associated with this Quicken ID" link and delete the dataset associated with your original data file.

Once deleted, please return to the original data file and then attempt to access the Bills & Income tab again.

Please let me know how it goes and if the crash occurs again.  If so, please submit the crash report once more so I can compare the details.

Thanks so much!

Sarah

Thanks. I followed those steps, and so far so good. There was an unrelated crash while I was trying to back up my file, but nothing related to the Bills/Income tab yet. I will let you know next time it happens (if it ever does).
  • PJS FinancePJS Finance Member ✭✭
    @Quicken Sarah I found your last post on this interesting. The only problem I have had the last few months is that my Capital One credit card will not update in the Bills & Income tab. However, I try to "Update Again" and never have had Q crash. However, an hour ago I posted an issue where, after updating to 25.18, my Bills & Income Tab is completely blank and when I have "Update Bills" checked during the one step update process, Q crashes (no automatic crash report GUI pops up, as you inquired earlier in this blog, but I did submit a report manually). Would be interesting if now my Capital One account is what is crashing it, but if so, why only after updating to 25.18? Waiting for next patch to get too concerned, but at this point Quick Pay and Check Pay are not usable as the entire Bills & Income tab is blank.

PJS
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks. I followed those steps, and so far so good. There was an unrelated crash while I was trying to back up my file, but nothing related to the Bills/Income tab yet. I will let you know next time it happens (if it ever does).
    If Quicken keeps crashing, please perform the following procedure:

Let's try some "Troubleshooting 101" to ensure the Quicken software is installed and updated properly and that your data file is in good working order.
    Please perform all the steps in this document:
    Troubleshooting 101 - Fixing Software Installation and Data File Problems

After a week and a half without crashes, Quicken has now crashed the last two times I tried using the Bills/Income tab. Quicken Sarah, are you able to check the new crash reports I submitted for those?
    Hello @Andrew Curtis

Thank you for letting me know that you are also experiencing a crash and have submitted the crash reports.

I was able to locate the reports in the system and had a few questions, I apologize.

Do you have Capital One added as an online biller in your Quicken data file?

If so, and you haven't already, please remove Capital One from the online billers and let me know if the crash occurs.

If you have already removed, or never had Capital One added as an online biller, how much available memory (Control Panel > System & Security > System) does your PC system info show?

Thank you,

Sarah
    I don't have any online billers set up. Why would it appear that I have a Capital One online biller when I've never used that functionality?

I went through the process you gave above to delete my Quicken cloud account, and it seemed to work for a while, but my cloud accounted was somehow automatically created again. I just repeated the process of deleting the cloud account but whenever I do a one step update it creates the cloud account again. I have looked for an option somewhere to be able to stop the one step update from creating a cloud account, but I can't find it. Can you point me in the right direction?

I tend to have around 3GB of available memory.
    I'll add - there used to be an option that would show up for me in the One Step Update to enable or disable cloud sync (as is seen here: https://www.quicken.com/support/what-quicken-cloud) but it is no longer there.

Second note: I don't think it's necessarily the one step update that is creating the cloud account. I just deleted the account again, verified that it was gone, then closed Quicken and opened it, and it was back.

Any help in figuring out how to keep this cloud account from being created would be helpful. Ideally, it would be great to be able to have the cloud account and have Quicken not crash.