Tracking TSRUs

Would be nice if Quicken could properly track TSRUs. They are like options, but also have a dividend per share. Example:

1,000 TSRUs granted @ $20
3 year vest, 5 year expiration/settlement
Current price $25
Dividend per share: $5
Current worth: 1000 * ((25 - 20) + 5) = 10,000
0 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• NotACPANotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What does TSRU stand for?
    Also, what Q product are you running? What BUILD of Q?  You can do HELP, About Quicken for this info.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • TSRU - Total Shareholder Return Unit. As I said, it is like a stock option (grant price, strike price, vesting schedule) but also has a per-share dividend that has to be included in the value of the grant.

Quicken Deluxe Windows 2020 R24.13 (just updated today)
    You're not going to be able to  download the value of those TSRUs into Quicken.  So I'd suggest that you simply set them up, in  Q, as if they were options ... and record the dividends when you actually received them.
  • I'd be fine with manual entry. But Quicken doesn't support this kind of option. Which is why I'm making the request for new functionality...
    In what WAY does Q not support this kind of option?  Be specific.
    Also, what Q product are you running?  What BUILD of Q?  What "Valid Thru" date?  This info is available by doing HELP, About Quicken.
  • Quicken Deluxe Windows 2020
    Version R24.14
    Build 27.1.24.14
    Valid through July 12 2020 (although not sure how that comes into play here).

Quicken does not support tracking a security net worth that has both a strike price *and* a dividend. So in my example:

1,000 TSRUs granted @ $20
    3 year vest, 5 year expiration/settlement
    Current price $25
    Dividend per share: $5
    Current worth: 1000 * ((25 - 20) + 5) = 10,000

I can create stock option for 1000 units with grant price of 20. And Quicken can track that the stock price is currently 25 and so I've got a $5,000 gain. But I can't also specify a dividend of $5 - which adds another $5,000 in value to the units.

Sure, I could come up with some wokraround like one security for the option price and another security for the dividend amount (and put in purchase price of $0). But that is a woraround. That is not support for something called a TRSU.

In fact, I should open this RFE up to include support for actual RSU tracking. Rather than the current process of creating a "Restricted Stock" security, entering a BUY of the restricted security, and add my own reminder transactions. Then at vest time, I have to enter transactions for SELL of the restricted stock and account for taxes and then enter transaction to BUY the real stock.

Yes, it works - but it is a way to shoehorn in RSU tracking using the pre-existing Quicken capabilities.

And so I'll repeat the request - it would be nice to have Quicken track TSRUs (and RSUs with a vesting schedule) for what they are. Quicken does that for Options - and I'm asking that RSUs have similar native support.