Why do Online Payees disappear?

I don't understand why some payees get deleted from my list of Online Payees. Seems that once a payee is setup, it should remain in the list until I delete it. It seems to be happening for no rhyme or reason.

Answers

• FrankxFrankx Member ✭✭✭✭
    Hi @ BobP,

Are you using Quicken Billpay, or are your online payments made directly by your bank account?
    Frankx

Quicken H&B-2017 - Ver. R19.8 - Build 26.1.19.8  - Windows 10 Home - Ver. 1909
                                             - - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Like" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -
  • BobPBobP Member ✭✭
    I don't know. In Quicken I write checks using the option "Use Online Billpay". I guess that means Quicken Billpay.
    HI @BobP,

When you go to pay your bills and open up the Tools Menu, do you click on "Online Payee List" (which is 5th from the bottom) or on "Quicken Bill Pay" (the last item at the bottom of the dropdown)?
    Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Like" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -
  • BobPBobP Member ✭✭
    Neither. While in the check registry I go to Actions (upper right hand corner) which brings up a Transactions menu. I then select "Write Checks". I fill out the check form and select "Use Online Billpay". When I start to type the payee name, it draws from the Online Payee list that you refer to. I've been finding that payees on that list mysteriously and randomly disappear. Not all of them, just from time to time a payee gets dropped from that list and I have to reenter the name.
    Okay.  Based on what you've described, you are using the bill payment function provided by your bank (not Quicken Billpay).  There are settings that control how this feature works and you can make and change those Quicken program settings (including a setting on how long payees are retained) by taking the following steps:
    1. Choose Edit menu > Preferences.
    2. In the left pane, under Register, click Data entry and QuickFill.
    3. In the right pane, select the settings you want to use.
    4. Click OK to save your changes.
    Here's some additional information on three of the above options:

* - Fills the register fields with memorized payee information when you press TAB to leave the Payee field.  You probably don't want to turn this off, because this is what makes QuickFill so convenient for reusing previous transactions.  Turning off Recall memorized payees also turns off complete fields using previous entries.

** - Saves each transaction you enter for a new payee (except investment transactions) and adds it to the Memorized Payee List.Quicken will stop automatically memorizing new payees when your Memorized Payee List reaches 2,000 entries. In that case, you can delete memorized payees from the list, and then turn Automatically memorize new payees back on.

*** - When this option is selected, Quicken removes unlocked, unused memorized payees from the Memorized Payee List after the specified number of months.This option is useful if your list is getting so detailed that using QuickFill gives you too many closely related choices.

Hope this helps.

Frankx

• BobPBobP Member ✭✭
    Thank you, but other than "Use enter key to move between fields", all of them were already selected. Also selected was "Remove payees not used in last 12 months." But last night I went to pay someone I had paid last August using this method, and that payee was not found in the Online Payee list. It was in the Memorized Payee list, but when I wanted to use that entry, I had to reenter the address, account number, etc. There are some still in the Online Payee list that I haven't used in over 12 months. So why did the one I used last August get deleted?
    @BobP,

I really don't know why the payment made less than 12 months ago disappeared, however I would suggest that you unselect the "Remove payees not used in the last 12 months" option.  This could cause you to retain more data than you need, but since your problem relates to missing payees, it can't hurt to retain more data.
    Frankx

• BobPBobP Member ✭✭
    I'll give that a try. Thanks.