Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Home Network Use

I'm thinking of upgrading to the latest version. Quicken says that the program can be loaded onto multiple computers but recommends that it not be used on a network. Why be able to load the program on multiple computers if it cannot be used on a network? I would think that if I load the program on more than one of my computers, I should need to keep the data file on only one of the computers. Since my home computers are networked, I could then enter transactions from any computer. I chatted online with a Quicken representative who told me that if I wanted to enter transactions from multiple computers, I would need to load the data file onto each computer and enter the transactions on each computer. That makes no sense. Can someone give definitive guidance?

Best Answer

Answers

• JustMeHere
    JustMeHere Member ✭✭✭✭
    Quicken was never designed to work with the data file on a network drive. It assumes that there will not ever be a "write error". And as such has no system for checking if the data actually got written correctly or to recover from such a problem if it didn't write properly.

Nothing in the "latest version" has changed this fact, either plus or minus.

Besides this there isn't anyway for Quicken Inc to judge the reliability of "network drive". Which can be on any given operating system using any given protocol and any given hardware, and be setup by an expert or a person that has no clue about networks. So you might have anything from a network that never fails to one that has errors all the time.

The general workaround for people that want to use the same data file from different computers is to copy the data file around using various methods.
    Using Quicken Subscription Premier (and have a copy of Starter to test things on)
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    MartyW said:
    … Why be able to load the program on multiple computers if it cannot be used on a network?…
    I normally use Quicken on my desktop computer, but I want it on my laptop when I travel, so that is one reason.

-splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    MartyW said:
    Why be able to load the program on multiple computers if it cannot be used on a network? I would think that if I load the program on more than one of my computers, I should need to keep the data file on only one of the computers. Since my home computers are networked, I could then enter transactions from any computer.
    Because Quicken's core data structure was developed for home use during the 80's long, long before networks would become common place. While it can be a bit inconvenient to work around, a work around is available none the less. And because it is home based software probably will never be upgraded to a network version.
    If this is important to you, I believe QuickBooks supports network installations.

user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 20H2
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @MartyW ,

Leave Quicken installed on just one computer. Use either Remote Desktop or TeamViewer (Free for Personal Use) to use into your Desktop Computer.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R32.12  USA & Quicken 2017 HBRP R20.6 USA
                       Windows 10 Pro 32 & 64-Bit Build 21359.1
    also            Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19042.928

Note: Holding Down the Left Shift Key or Left Ctrl Key produces Window with Quicken 2019 in the Title Bar when click About Quicken,

View: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7859218/work-with-copies-of-your-actual-quicken-data-files/p1?new=1

This discussion has been closed.