Download and reconcile is unreconciling 8 year old transactions. Help!

I start with a perfectly reconciled register, then do the "update" aka download from the bank & auto-reconcile. in my reconcile window, old transactions from 12 years ago suddenly appear unreconciled and it wants me to make an adjustment. I have to restore from back-up and try again. Eventually I get a clean update and reconcile. I have a very large and old quicken file. This started when I moved to the subscription version, and I just got a new computer this week with a brand new install and it is worse now, happening every time i update. Sometimes I also get an "error writing to disk" message, but not every time. I need quicken to fix this! or tell me how to archive our data again so I can shrink my file size. I see that others have reported this too.
Tagged:

Comments

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Telaryn Brooke May

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your issue, although I apologize that you haven't received a response. 

We will need a bit more information to be able to assist. Please take a moment to review the information here and post back with the year and version of Quicken you are currently running.

May I also ask if you are using the mobile or web app? 

The more information you can provide regarding this issue will help the Community to better understand and assist.

Thank you,

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please provide the full name of the financial institution and the connection method being used: open the register, press Ctrl + Shift + E and select the Online Services tab.

It sounds like you're frequently pulling duplicate transactions (new FITIDs) when you're importing transactions.  I suggest you disable Automatic entry and Reconcile using online balance until the issue is resolved: open the register, press Ctrl + Shift + E, and select the Online Services tab
  • Telaryn Brooke May
    Telaryn Brooke May Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    I am on the latest version of Quicken 2020 subscription and attached is a sample of the error I got recently. Note I do not always get he Disk error just sometimes. it can get corrupted with or without that error.
  • Telaryn Brooke May
    Telaryn Brooke May Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    here is the picture , you can see the weird data. Once a restore from backup and try again it worked fine
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am on the latest version of Quicken 2020 subscription and attached is a sample of the error I got recently. Note I do not always get he Disk error just sometimes. it can get corrupted with or without that error.
    Data corruption does sound like a possible scenario. You make no mention of running a file validation, so I would start there. File>File Operations>Validate.

user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 21H1
  • > @GeoffG said:
    > (Quote)
    > Data corruption does sound like a possible scenario. You make no mention of running a file validation, so I would start there. File>File Operations>Validate.

Yes I did run the validate and repair, it did not help. Still have an issue. I don’t get this error on any other account, just the Bank of America ones.
  • Today I tried the update 3 times before I got a clean one, each time getting corrupt old transactions in the reconcile window, restore from backup and try again. Each time the corruption had different transactions.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    here is the picture , you can see the weird data. Once a restore from backup and try again it worked fine
    There are a number of possible explanations for the intermittent behavior.  The first thing I suggest you do is run Windows Memory Diagnostic and check the disk for errors:

If all is good, make certain the data file is opened in a folder on a local drive and is not being access by any other process (for example, Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive, Megasync, ...).

If the issue persists, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows
  • > @Sherlock said:
    > (Quote)
    > There are a number of possible explanations for the intermittent behavior.  The first thing I suggest you do is run Windows Memory Diagnostic and check the disk for errors:
    > (Image)
    >
    >
    > If all is good, make certain the data file is opened in a folder on a local drive and is not being access by any other process (for example, Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive, Megasync, ...).
    >
    > If the issue persists, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows

Thanks, but I just got a brand new HP computer and it happened first time I tried and is worse than my old Computer now happening every time instead of every few times. It is on a hard disk on the solid state drive. I will read through the article.