Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Fixing a corrupt Quicken for DOS 7

Is there a database/Quicken genius out there familiar with the .qdt file format (DOS, mid-nineties) who knows how to edit a .qdt file that currently won't load and make it accessible again? When attempting to load the file, an open file error message returns, on multiple versions. This is my last ditch effort for fixing a file that is probably not repairable. (The characters in the file are viewable in an editor). Thanks.

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited February 2020
    Good luck in your quest.  I doubt that any such person exists.
    Do actually have a copy of QDos7?  Because the file probably cant be opened in other versions.
    Do you have backups?  Hopefully, multiple.  Because you might try them also.
    OH, and Q has never published their DB schema ... so what you're asking is a VERY long shot.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • JustMeHere
    JustMeHere Member ✭✭✭✭
     (The characters in the file are viewable in an editor). Thanks.
    You are fooling yourself into believing that this data file is editable by a text editor when you open it and see "viewable characters".  That is just your editor not showing everything.

This format isn't known by anyone other than maybe the Quicken programmers.

Note "with the .qdt file format (DOS, mid-nineties)" makes it a Windows version not one of the original DOS versions.

You can try using Quicken 2004 to see if it can convert it.
    It was able to read/convert that data file above.  I'm not entirely sure what version of Quicken created it, but the last date in it was in 1992.  But when I opened it in Quicken Version 6 for Windows, it had to convert it, so most likely it was created with Quicken 92/ Version 2 for Windows.

And Quicken 2004 was able to directly convert that data file too.

Select the "Converting a data file from Quicken 98 - 2003" to download the install.

Note I did this in a virtual machine running Windows XP. Running in newer versions of Windows might cause problems, especially if they aren't a 32-bit version.
    Using Quicken Subscription Premier (and have a copy of Starter to test things on)
  • Thanks for the feedback. Knowing that Quicken didn't publish their DB schema pretty much puts this to rest.

Since the file won't open in a version of Quicken 7.0 (1994), I doubt if the conversion will work. But I'll check it out. I tried unsuccessfully to open and validate the file on three later versions of Quicken (98 to 2018) with no luck.

No backups. I'm doing this for a friend of mine on his Windows 95 machine. No backups in a couple of years since his "A" drive went down. Yeah, this guy is really old.
  • JustMeHere
    JustMeHere Member ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah given that it doesn't open in Quicken 7 then it highly unlikely that Quicken 2004 will open/convert it, with the exception being that the data file is actually created by a later version of Quicken.
    Using Quicken Subscription Premier (and have a copy of Starter to test things on)
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    A correction to above info.  There was a QDOS 7 in parallel with QWin at the time.
    These earlier version required a copy of QW2000 to convert before converting to QW2004.

-splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • JustMeHere
    JustMeHere Member ✭✭✭✭
    @splasher for the extra information.  Didn't know that, I thought they discontinued the "DOS line" when they created the Windows line.  But it does make sense that they would have "hold outs" that would refuse to switch.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Back then, they didn't know if Windows was a passing fancy or would have staying power.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
This discussion has been closed.