Help categorizing an unusual transaction

Hi folks, I wasn't sure how to summarize my question in the subject so please forgive the vagueness.

If I pay for something (via credit card) on behalf of someone else, and then they reimburse me in cash, how could I categorize that? It seems like marking it as a "Transfer" might be most appropriate, but then how would I categorize the cash? Also as a "Transfer?" Note that I do have a cash account that I've recently started using to track cash purchases, per the advice of some on this forum.

Thank you.

Answers

• NotACPANotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1st transaction is a Transfer to a new ASSET type account.  I call mine "Receivables".
    The 2nd transaction  is posted in your CASH account as a Transfer FROM "Receivables".
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Austin@[email protected] Member ✭✭✭✭
    I don’t know if this is considered best practice or not, but here’s what I do:

Say I use my credit card to purchase groceries for my friend, and then he pays me back in cash. I categorize the credit card transaction according to what the purchase was for (Groceries). I then apply the same Groceries category to the positive cash transaction where my friend paid me back. Because both transactions are the same amount (one negative and one positive) and the same category, they zero each other out so all reporting stays accurate for how much was actually spent for that category.
  • jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The responses above hit on the two ways to do this type of transaction:

(a) If you have these transactions recurring, create a separate Asset account to use each time you make a purchase for someone else, and for when they pay you back. The purchase isn't an expense, it's a transfer to an asset -- money owed to you. When you get the payment, it's not income, it's a transfer from the asset to your bank account. I have an account like this I use for purchases I make for work for which I subsequently receive reimbursement.

(b) If you have a transaction like this infrequently, it's probably not worth creating the separate asset account. You can do as suggested above, but I prefer to create a category -- I call it Exchange -- for the payment and and the reimbursement back in. It's basically the same as @[email protected] is suggesting, but by sing a unique Category, you can quickly run a report to see if you're owed anything.
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Just LurkingJust Lurking Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions. This forum is a wealth of useful advice! That said, I'm still a little torn on what to do.

@NotACPA has what I'm sure is the approach most consistent with Accounting rules, and that's appealing, but creating dual transactions is a little fussier than what I usually try to do for my personal Quicken spending.

The method used by @[email protected] is the kind of keep-it-simple method that appeals to me in other areas of Quicken, but the one issue I see is that sometimes I don't remember how I categorized something. I'm trying to avoid creating too many new Categories, so sometimes I struggle to decide whether to use Category A or B, and this method relies on me either remembering or (more likely) taking the time to look up the previous category.

@jacobs offers a possible compromise. I could always use the same Category, so there's nothing specific to remember. Being able to run a report is a bonus.

I'm partly just thinking out loud here, forgive me, but I am open to any additional thoughts.

One question for @jacobs: in terms of whether it's worthwhile creating a "Receivables" account, is it more about how large (material) are the transactions, vs. their frequency? I'm leaning towards using your (b) approach. My use case isn't extremely infrequent, but they tend not to be large compared to total monthly spend.
    edited February 14
    My approach would be preferable if the friend does NOT pay you back quickly.  That way you'd have a record of what's owed to you.
    If the friend DOES pay back quickly (say, as soon as you get home) ... I'd use your approach also.
  • Austin@[email protected] Member ✭✭✭✭
    I love reading all of these ideas and perspectives. My method has worked well for me because I don't buy things on others' behalf very often, and when I do it's usually close friends who pay me back the same day. I also like having a record of what I actually spent my money on (books, clothing, food, etc.) even though I am quickly reimbursed for it, which is why I use the actual category for what was purchased.

If I had large amounts of these types of transactions and wasn't paid back quickly, I would definitely set it up how @NotACPA has it. I'm also intrigued by @jacobs recommendation of setting up a dedicated category for these types of things, since there are definitely pros to doing that as well. I think the reason I have been doing it the way I have (using actual categories based on what is purchased) is because often my friends and I will split to the cost of things half-and-half. Usually I will pay the full amount with my credit card, and then my friend will pay me back half of the total cost (either with cash or via Venmo). When I assign both transactions the actual category (food, entertainment, etc.), my reporting then shows the correct net amount (half of the initial credit card transaction) that I actually spent on that category.
    An Asset type account, as I recommend, is part of your Net Worth ... it's money that's owed to you.
    A Category, as @jacobs recommends is money that you've spent with no expectation of getting it back.  If you DO get it back, then his entries zero-out ... but the transactions won't show on your Net Worth.
    Also note that if the friend pays back VERY quickly ... then you could just show the transaction as a transfer from your credit card to cash ... which is the simplest of all.
  • FrankxFrankx Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Austin,

To quote you:
    " I think the reason I have been doing it the way I have (using actual categories based on what is purchased) is because often my friends and I will split to the cost of things half-and-half. Usually I will pay the full amount with my credit card, and then my friend will pay me back half of the total cost (either with cash or via Venmo). When I assign both transactions the actual category (food, entertainment, etc.), my reporting then shows the correct net amount (half of the initial credit card transaction) that I actually spent on that category."

This is spot-on and clearly is the best way for the types of situations that you frequently encounter (and I too handle those situations likewise).  No need to get too formal here...
    Frankx

Quicken H&B-2017 - Ver. R19.8 - Build 26.1.19.8  - Windows 10 Home - Ver. 1909
                                             - - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Like" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -
  • jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Frankx said:
    @Austin,

To quote you:
    " I think the reason I have been doing it the way I have (using actual categories based on what is purchased) is because often my friends and I will split to the cost of things half-and-half. Usually I will pay the full amount with my credit card, and then my friend will pay me back half of the total cost (either with cash or via Venmo). When I assign both transactions the actual category (food, entertainment, etc.), my reporting then shows the correct net amount (half of the initial credit card transaction) that I actually spent on that category."

This is spot-on and clearly is the best way for the types of situations that you frequently encounter (and I too handle those situations likewise).  No need to get too formal here...
    It's really whatever works for you. In my case, I would enter a split on the transaction, with half going to the proper expense category for my half of it, and the other half going to my Exchange category (or account), so I can easily create a report to see if there's anything I'm owed money for. I've sometimes bought concert tickets for myself and friends 6, 8 or more months before the event, and I'm happy to have them pay me back at the time of the event -- but I definitely need an easy way to be reminded if someone owes me money. That's why I prefer to have these amounts stick out so I can't forget about them. (Having a separate Exchange account, rather than just a category, makes the transactions not show up as expenses at all, and let's me see right in my accounts sidebar if I'm owed money.)

I don't find it at all complicated to have this extra account, and to record transfers in and out when I make purchases and get paid back, but it certainly depends how often you do this as to what level of complexity you want; if it's pretty much a one-time thing, it's not worth setting up a separate account for it.
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993