Home Quicken for Windows Download, Add/Update Accounts (Windows)
Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Previously used sub-categories are inaccessible, Non-Existant Categories added to Transactions

CityguyPACityguyPA Member ✭✭
Category maintenance won't show these subcategories but they are there if you try to readd them it says they are in error. Categories being put onto downloaded transactions don't seem to exist in Category Maintenance or have been turned off. There is a set of categories listed as standard on the maintenance screen but they don't show up on the category list screen. 

[removed - rant/off-topic]

Best Answer

Answers

• SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you haven't already, you may want check to see if the missing categories are set to be hidden:  press Ctrl + Shift + C and check Show hidden categories
    Quicken user since 1997
    Premier on Windows 10
  • CityguyPACityguyPA Member ✭✭
    I just went through all these categories because some change was made that started defaulting new transactions to categories in business expenses rather than personal. So I turned off all the non-personal categories. But, no regardless of how the personal expense sub-cats would have become hidden they are not showing in the Category List as hidden or not. And you can't access them for transactions either but try to add them and it says they already exist.
    I even attempted to search for where these categories are stored but I was not able to find them inside any file. I thought maybe if I could see the actual data file that maintains these categories I could fix them. I assume that they are kept inside the actual user data file but I searched everything and found nothing.
    I jusst checked the app and the missing categories show up if you try to add a transaction along with a thousand others that I've never seen before so what's being passed along isn't based on what I set as actuve categories.

Also you are unable to change a category on an existing transaction which are often shown with missing subcats.

Quicken should be embarrased at this terrible crap they call software and the factn that you're expected to spend hours on the phone helping them fix it is jhat adding insult to injury.

They shouldn't ve alowed to cutoff your transaction feed which you've paid for to force you to but their next crappy edition.

I may take this to my Attorney General see what they might be willing to do.
    Can I post captures to this forum? If not, WHY?
    I'm about to post an answer to my own question which is going to explain why this is so screwed up but I need to show images.
    I never saw that image icon there before. The emoticon is the only one I ever recall seeing. Well anyways.

So the problem here is what makes a unique key into the Categories and in some places they use the correct and full key and other places they miss a part of the key.

I don't get how this image is supposed to work. It's not inline so I can't see it except it's attached at the bottom. The box says I can insert or drag and drop it but that's not what it did. It seems that once it's been "inserted" you can't delete it and try to drag and drop because you get a message telling you it's already uploaded even though I clicked the "x" on the attachment it appears gone but if you hover over the empty box that remains it's still there.

BTW you have a whole list of items icons that go across the length of the box I got 3.

The only category that works from the list underneath the Expense: Utility is Communication and if you look at the rest of them they have a different key of which there's a choice of Personal Expense, Business Expense, and Rental Expense. However, when you attempt to add a category it's not evaluating what expense group you're adding it too and so as long as it exists in one of the 3 you cannot read it because it says I already have that key.

If I go into the properties of that category and try to remove or change the Rental Expense it just puts it back even though you have closed the window and it appears to update when you open the properties again there's the Rental Expense group again.

So during some update this new level of the key got added in but was only added in some places which is why you do a scan for the key before you make a production change to ensure you have modified every place that key is used to include the new field and then once you change the key in each place you test each module so ensure that when one adds a key that it requires you to enter a group. When I started to see 100's of new categories that I knew I would never use I went through and hid them and that's why this became a problem because I had hidden the Rental Expense and the Business Expenses there was no longer a category that I was able to put my various Utility bills into. And there's no drop-down selection when building a new category to select Personal or Standard Expenses they're called 2 different things in 2 different places which are probably part of the problem as well.

That last 2 captures are reversed and there's apparently no way to move them around and there's no way to delete them so you're just going to have to realize that. That 18.21 timestamp is attempting to add the Electric Sub-category for the Utility Sub-category of Expense. Notice the drop-down only shows the old key structure you don't see the Rental, Business or Personal section of the key however in the bottom part of the box there's an optional place where you can key in the Expense Group except it don't work right either. At some point while I was keying the upper part it added the optional Personal Expense but when the complete key was checked against the database it didn't check for the optional part which brings me to the last image which is the one saying that the key already exists. This same problem exists if you try to add a category from the category tool or if you attempt to add it more ad-hoc while you're adding a transaction it gives you a duplicate and you get the same problematic drop-down that shows you that that sub-category already exists even though it's the lack of the Expense Group that makes it look like it exists it really doesn't.
    edited February 2020
    If you would like these categories that are appearing in the Rental Property Expenses group to appear in the Personal Expenses group, I suggest you reset the Tax line item associated with these categories so that they're not Schedule E (or C) items.
    Quicken user since 1997
    Premier on Windows 10
    Oh if it were only so easy. Today I had to get my transactions back so from the Category Screen I went down through all the categories that had transactions assigned that were not in the proper Class and created a report on the report screen I highlighted them all and recategorized them from the Rental Expense Class to a new category under Personal Expenses. When I went back to the main category screen gone...gone...gone. It irks me that you can't specify you want them created in your Personal Expenses just to be sure they go where I want them. But anyway. After I did the recategorizations I guess it deleted the ones under Rental Property Expense. The categories are gone not even showing in the All List. I didn't think I checked anything to remove them but it doesn't matter I'm not planning on going into the rental business. In fact, all the Rental Expense Categories are gone. But thanks for your help.
    CityguyPA said:
    Oh if it were only so easy. Today I had to get my transactions back so from the Category Screen I went down through all the categories that had transactions assigned that were not in the proper Class and created a report on the report screen I highlighted them all and recategorized them from the Rental Expense Class to a new category under Personal Expenses. When I went back to the main category screen gone...gone...gone. It irks me that you can't specify you want them created in your Personal Expenses just to be sure they go where I want them. But anyway. After I did the recategorizations I guess it deleted the ones under Rental Property Expense. The categories are gone not even showing in the All List. I didn't think I checked anything to remove them but it doesn't matter I'm not planning on going into the rental business. In fact, all the Rental Expense Categories are gone. But thanks for your help.
    To restore the missing rental categories, I suggest you press Ctrl + Shift + C, select Options > Manage Categories, Rentals & Royalties in the Available categories pull-down menu, Mark All, Add, and OK
    Quicken user since 1997
    Premier on Windows 10
This discussion has been closed.