Home Quicken for Mac Product Ideas - Quicken for Mac Product Enhancements (Mac)

Option to add Duplicate button on Register toolbar

Leslie JonesLeslie Jones Member ✭✭
edited February 14 in Product Enhancements (Mac)
Does anyone know how to add things to the toolbar that sits at the bottom of the register page? I'd like to add Duplicate transaction. This is the toolbar with New, Edit, Split, etc.
2 votes

New · Last Updated

Best Answer

Comments

• Leslie JonesLeslie Jones Member ✭✭
    I am on a MAC so Command (Apple) D is a shortcut. Thanks for your response. It is just more ammo for this program being a Mac app in name only.
  • jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am on a MAC so Command (Apple) D is a shortcut. Thanks for your response. It is just more ammo for this program being a Mac app in name only.
    What Command key shortcut for Duplicate would you consider to be "more Mac-like" the Command-D? Command-D doesn't have any standard use across Mac programs like Command-C or Command-V, so I'm not sure I see the problem.
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • RickORickO SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think what they are saying is that most Mac programs with toolbars (usually at the top) allow you to customize the toolbar to some degree. But even those programs that allow toolbar customization don't allow every possible command to be added to the toolbar.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Leslie JonesLeslie Jones Member ✭✭
    Thanks RickO. That is exactly what I am saying. If Duplicate is in the toolbar I don’t have to move my hand from the mouse to the KB and back again. It is faster. Cmd D is a great shortcut but it involves the keyboard. Things like this would be so easy for Quicken to implement. Like having the date be a string 010220 instead of adding /. And for what it’s worth I wouldn’t have to use Duplicate that often if the last register input I used at least saved the date and action when I created a new one. This is especially helpful in investments when many dividends are given out in the same day. Just things I am used to from Quicken 2007 for Mac that they chose not to keep.
  • jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Things like this would be so easy for Quicken to implement. 
    Yes… and maybe not. ;)  There was recently some complaining that users couldn't make the Quicken window narrower to ave more screen space for other things. The product manager explained that when they allowed the window to be significantly narrower, elements in toolbars and menus started bumping into each other, and they didn't think that was a desirable outcome. They compromised a bit and allowed the window to get a bit smaller -- but any smaller than it is currently, and the bottom toolbar would start having problems if there were more icons there. So I'm only noting that what appears to be a simple change -- and I'd agree that adding a Duplicate icon to the toolbar seems a pretty simple thing to do -- sometimes isn't as simple as it might seem. 

In any case, I'd suggest you create a new Post as an "Idea" with the simple request to have a Duplicate icon added to the bottom toolbar. Idea posts get the blue box where people can vote on them, and ideas that get a lot of votes are then forwarded to the development team for consideration.
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • RickORickO SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
     If Duplicate is in the toolbar I don’t have to move my hand from the mouse to the KB and back again. It is faster. 
    Funny, because for me, I hate having to move my hand from the keyboard over to the mouse and back. Since you can't type with the mouse, I'd prefer to keep my hands on the keyboard as much as possible. 

That said, unless you are using your mouse left-handed, Command-D is a totally left handed action, so no hand off the mouse necessary.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s