Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Validation Problems

I've been getting complaints about my QDF file from Q17 Home & Business for several weeks now. Since the utility is called "Validate and Repair," why am I still getting these messages?

(The QEL has been flagged for years.)

Is there anything I can, or should, be doing about this?

Mark

[Sat Feb 15 18:01:19 2020]

File: "C:\Users\Mark\Documents\Quicken\Qdata"

QDF:
Damaged data block.
Damaged data block.
Damaged data block.
Damaged data block.
Validating your data.

QEL:
The old file was corrupt and only some of the data has been recovered.

QEL:
All internal consistency checks passed.

[Sat Feb 15 18:03:12 2020]
Validation has completed.

Best Answer

Answers

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry, you are hosed. "Damaged data block" means permanently and irreparably damaged.

Your only hope (aside from starting a whole new data file) is to restore a backup from before the "damaged data block" errors and rebuild from there.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • Mark Wallace
    Mark Wallace Member ✭✭
    @q_lurker asks "What sort of complaints ..."

The ones shown in the log file at the bottom of my original post.
  • Mark Wallace
    Mark Wallace Member ✭✭
    I ran the command File .. File Operations .. Copy ..., and then loaded the new copy in place of the old main file. It now passes all tests.
  • markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    You are the first person ever that I can recall who was able to repair a file with a "damaged data block".  Note that in this Knowledge Base article, Quicken maintains what you were able to do, cannot be done; "damaged data block" is still considered irreparable.

https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows
  • Mark Wallace
    Mark Wallace Member ✭✭
    @markus1957 - I went back and had a look at the QDF files. The old one (with the errors) was 129,595 KB, and the new one (the result of the copy operation) is now 118,041 KB (after a handful of additional data entry transactions).

All of the open account balances look correct, but I don't have time to go back and verify all of the history for closed accounts. Maybe the copy was able to discard some blocks that I don't need anyway, but were still able to set off the verify logic?
This discussion has been closed.