Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Purchasing Premiere 2019 to extend membership in 2020

I've seen advice to purchase Quicken from online retailer to save money instead of renewing with Quicken directly. Amazon is selling Quicken Premier 2019 1 Year membership for much less. Will I be able to use this version to extend my membership which has recently expired?

Best Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Since 2018, it is just subscription Quicken, the year is pure marketing.  Having an active subscription gets you all updates to the software and all the online banking features.  It is an all inclusive price, not a fee in addition to the software purchase.
    It doesn't matter where you purchase Quicken from, Quicken.com or a retailer partner, it is all the same, the only difference is the $/month, so shop around for the best deal.
    Now and then, Quicken.com will make an offer that is pretty good that is only valid to first time subscription buyers, so there is a chance that Quicken.com may be a better deal that the retailers.
    If you purchase from Quicken.com, the subscription starts at the time of purchase; with a retail purchase, it starts when you activate the subscription.
    I advise that after your subscription is active, you login to Quicken.com and set your account preferences to "Auto Renew" to OFF, that way you have complete control over the price when you extend your subscription in the future since Quicken.com charges MSRP.
    If you already have an active subscription, purchasing either way will EXTEND the subscription, this just has to happen during the last 6 months of the current subscription. (Keeps you from buying lots of activation codes and immediately activating all of them, so that you end up with a subscription ending in 5 years or so)

-splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser, Mac Beta, Canada Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020 Accepted Answer
    splasher said:

If you already have an active subscription, purchasing either way will EXTEND the subscription, this just has to happen during the last 6 months of the current subscription. (Keeps you from buying lots of activation codes and immediately activating all of them, so that you end up with a subscription ending in 5 years or so)

That being said, if you find good pricing on subscriptions, know that ANY 2018 subscription still being sold has an activation code that NEVER expires, so you can save it until you want/can use it, and any 2019 or newer subscriptions being sold has an activation code that is good for up to 2 years since the date it was printed/created, so these too can be saved for future usage, though you have to watch their expiration by which date you have to apply them or lose them.

Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:
    COMPLETE list of Product Ideas - Quicken for Mac to VOTE on

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen?
    Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(
    Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Since 2018, it is just subscription Quicken, the year is pure marketing.  Having an active subscription gets you all updates to the software and all the online banking features.  It is an all inclusive price, not a fee in addition to the software purchase.
    It doesn't matter where you purchase Quicken from, Quicken.com or a retailer partner, it is all the same, the only difference is the $/month, so shop around for the best deal.
    Now and then, Quicken.com will make an offer that is pretty good that is only valid to first time subscription buyers, so there is a chance that Quicken.com may be a better deal that the retailers.
    If you purchase from Quicken.com, the subscription starts at the time of purchase; with a retail purchase, it starts when you activate the subscription.
    I advise that after your subscription is active, you login to Quicken.com and set your account preferences to "Auto Renew" to OFF, that way you have complete control over the price when you extend your subscription in the future since Quicken.com charges MSRP.

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser, Mac Beta, Canada Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020 Accepted Answer
    splasher said:

That being said, if you find good pricing on subscriptions, know that ANY 2018 subscription still being sold has an activation code that NEVER expires, so you can save it until you want/can use it, and any 2019 or newer subscriptions being sold has an activation code that is good for up to 2 years since the date it was printed/created, so these too can be saved for future usage, though you have to watch their expiration by which date you have to apply them or lose them.

Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:
    COMPLETE list of Product Ideas - Quicken for Mac to VOTE on

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen?
    Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(
    Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)
  • Thank you for the great answers.
    I am also curious about Quicken's large discount to new users. What are any disadvantages to a previous user subscribing as a new user with a different email and login? I wouldn't do this myself but just wondering about their business model.
  • Thank you for all the prompt and helpful answers.
    I want to report back on the outcome. I didn't want to wait a few days to purchase an less expensive Premier online so I bought the 14 month package from Amazon for $75 that included an instant download activation number.
    That number didn't work for some reason so I postponed until I had more time to debug.
    2 days later I tried again and it worked. It may have just needed a reboot instead of just restarting application? Quicken works fine and recognized membership.
    However, during those 2 days Amazon dropped their price to $59 for same 14 month deal. I contacted them by online chat and they were kind enough to give me a store credit for the difference in cost.
    I'm satisfied with the deal I got even though it's not the least expensive out there. 👍
  • mrzookie
    mrzookie Member ✭✭✭✭
    I want to buy Quicken "2019" to extend my current subscription which expires in a couple of months bc its selling for less than the "2020" version. This thread indicates its not a problem to do that. According, however, to the Quicken FAQ, activation codes expire 24 months after they are generated. Is there any chance that a "2019" version code could be more than 24 months old? Is there a way to tell? 
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @mrzookie ,

If your Subscription expires in a few months and you are buying the program, now. And it expires in less than 6 months, you can buy the program now and apply the activation now, and your Membership will be extended from where it originally set to expired, I learned.

Doe other problems, see this FAQ:  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7307115/add-your-quicken-information-to-your-posts-plus-how-you-are-connected-to-the-internet
    thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R32.12  USA & Quicken 2017 HBRP R20.6 USA
                       Windows 10 Pro 32 & 64-Bit Build 21359.1
    also            Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19042.928

Note: Holding Down the Left Shift Key or Left Ctrl Key produces Window with Quicken 2019 in the Title Bar when click About Quicken,

View: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7859218/work-with-copies-of-your-actual-quicken-data-files/p1?new=1

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    mrzookie said:
    I want to buy Quicken "2019" to extend my current subscription which expires in a couple of months bc its selling for less than the "2020" version. This thread indicates its not a problem to do that. According, however, to the Quicken FAQ, activation codes expire 24 months after they are generated. Is there any chance that a "2019" version code could be more than 24 months old? Is there a way to tell? 
    Until you have it in hand there is no way to tell in advance.  It is generally assumed (dangerous word I know) that they are all generated in the Fall of the year when the "new" version is released, but since there really is no "new" version, it is when the MARKETING Dept has them change the year on Packaging and in advertising and on the Help->About Quicken (Quicken->About Quicken in Mac) screen in the program. So the 2019 codes where probably  generated in October, 2018 and good thru September, 2020.
  • mrzookie
    mrzookie Member ✭✭✭✭
    @splasher - pretty much what I'm thinking as well. Thanks for your input. 
  • hddray
    hddray Member
    I bought a new copy of Quicken deluxe from Costco in hopes to renew my existing Quicken deluxe 2017. The instructions are to open existing Quicken and under the health screen push the activation code.There is no activation choice on my Help tab.Any suggestions of how To activate my purchase.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    hddray said:
    I bought a new copy of Quicken deluxe from Costco in hopes to renew my existing Quicken deluxe 2017. The instructions are to open existing Quicken and under the health screen push the activation code.There is no activation choice on my Help tab.Any suggestions of how To activate my purchase.
    QW2017 knows nothing about activation codes.  You need to install the new subscription Quicken to use the activation code.
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    hddray said:

The CD you purchased from Costco, can not be reused to install Quicken on a different computer. It can only be used one time and becomes a coaster for drinks.

Download Quicken is not a part of your Quicken User ID, until it is activated for the very first time.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R32.12  USA & Quicken 2017 HBRP R20.6 USA
                       Windows 10 Pro 32 & 64-Bit Build 21359.1
    also            Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19042.928

Note: Holding Down the Left Shift Key or Left Ctrl Key produces Window with Quicken 2019 in the Title Bar when click About Quicken,

View: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7859218/work-with-copies-of-your-actual-quicken-data-files/p1?new=1

• mrzookie
    mrzookie Member ✭✭✭✭
    Followup RE: Using Quicken "2019" labeled product (purchased on Amazon) to extend current "2020" subscription.
    Worked fine, and saved me $20.
This discussion has been closed.