Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Two AmEx Cards on Single Account

Greetings Quicken Support, I have a question related to online transaction download, which has worked fine for years but which broke this week when one of our credit cards was replaced (with a new credit card number). My wife & I have a single AmEx account, which I track in Quicken, but for which we have two separate credit cards. My card was replaced this week, so when I went to download transactions, the transactions on her card downloaded fine, but the ones on my new card did not. As noted above, transactions for two separate cards have always worked fine previously. When I tried to fix this with the online billing settings, Quicken took me to a screen where it had both new cards, but only one of the two could be linked to the single account in Quicken. How can I address this?

Note that there's a thread on this from another user affected similarly, but the moderator responded to link the two credit cards to "the accounts" (plural) then closed the thread. That is not how I have handled this in the past - we have two cards but both are on the same account (singular) - and it has worked previously.
Tagged:

Best Answer

• SteveinAZ
    SteveinAZ Member ✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Rick (& forum members), thanks and my bad for directing this to Quicken Support. The punchline: I think I have this working, but read on.

When I played around with this issue earlier today, I tried a couple things including deactivating and reactivating account downloads, and logging on to AmEx directly. After reading this post, I tried a couple more things.

The first thing I tried was manually downloading my transactions from the AmEx website. This confirmed what I had verified earlier, that transactions from both credit cards are in the same AmEx account, but in downloading the transactions AmEx also presented me with a screen I hadn't seen earlier (potentially since I didn't manually download) telling Quicken customers to deactivate downloads and then to reactivate them.

Back in Quicken, I turned off transaction downloads and reactivated them with Quicken Direct Connect, as recommended in this forum and on the screen in on the AmEx site described above. That went smoothly and seems to be downloading transactions from both cards (hard to tell since there weren't as many transactions as usual this week due to the card replacement).

If this does NOT work, I'll update this post and ensure the "real" Quicken Support is also aware.

Thanks again to Rick!

Steve

Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    First of all, this is not Quicken Support. This is a user-to-user forum. If you want to contact Quicken Support, you can do so by clicking the Help link at the top of this page and scrolling down to the blue banner.

First question: Do both cards show up in the single login at americanexpress.com? If not, you will need to contact Amex to get them to merge the cards into the single account. 

Next question: Are you connecting to Amex with Quicken Connect? You can check by looking at the Connection Type in the account settings in Quicken. If so, you should switch to Direct Connect (which is free for Amex):

Choosing Direct Connect

If you are already using D/C and both cards show in your online account, then I believe this will be something for which you'll need to contact Amex about to make sure both cards are linked for Quicken.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • SteveinAZ
    SteveinAZ Member ✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Rick (& forum members), thanks and my bad for directing this to Quicken Support. The punchline: I think I have this working, but read on.

When I played around with this issue earlier today, I tried a couple things including deactivating and reactivating account downloads, and logging on to AmEx directly. After reading this post, I tried a couple more things.

The first thing I tried was manually downloading my transactions from the AmEx website. This confirmed what I had verified earlier, that transactions from both credit cards are in the same AmEx account, but in downloading the transactions AmEx also presented me with a screen I hadn't seen earlier (potentially since I didn't manually download) telling Quicken customers to deactivate downloads and then to reactivate them.

Back in Quicken, I turned off transaction downloads and reactivated them with Quicken Direct Connect, as recommended in this forum and on the screen in on the AmEx site described above. That went smoothly and seems to be downloading transactions from both cards (hard to tell since there weren't as many transactions as usual this week due to the card replacement).

If this does NOT work, I'll update this post and ensure the "real" Quicken Support is also aware.

Thanks again to Rick!

Steve