Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Bills and Income tab single line view

Is there a way to change the default view in Bills and Income back to the single line view it had in Quicken Deluxe 2017? It's using far too much screen per line item to show you each bill that is due and I'd prefer to go back to the old view. The funny thing is, if you click on 'Manage Manual Bills and Income, that view is exactly how it used to be and what I'm trying to go back to.

Comments

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    I, too, like the old view better.  Here's what I did to get a view that is closer to what the old view was like:  Home tab-->Add View (button on the right)-->enter a name for the view-->select "Bill and Income Reminders"-->Add-->Save.
    This will add a new bill and income reminders tab under the Home tab which is more similar to the old view.  In this tab you can select the time period you want to show and if you want to see a graph and/or the calendar as well you can check the boxes for those.
    (QW Premier Subscription: R32.12 on Windows 10)
  • itchyfish
    itchyfish Member ✭✭✭
    Thank you sir, I did try that but I couldn't find a way to enter the transactions without going back to the Bill and Income tab to do that.

I did find that in the Bill and Income tab there's a button in the upper right corner 'Manage Manual Bills and Income' that if you open that you can get the view and enter your bills. It's extra steps but it work. It'd be better if they'd just left the old view alone instead of messing with it. Geez. Or give us the ability to change it back to the old view.
  • Boatnmaniac
    In that new Bill and Income tab (under Home) click on any reminder in the list and on the right you should see buttons for "Enter", "Edit" and "Ignore"...or if the reminder has already been entered into the register you should see a "Go to Register" button.  You are not seeing that?
  • itchyfish
    itchyfish Member ✭✭✭
    Ohhhhh ... That's not apparent, I didn't know that.

I really dispise having to upgrade in order to be able to update my transactions when it didn't cost anything before.

This"upgrade" has not been worth the money spent. It's really no different than the 2017 version plus coding to force you into their subscription model.

I will be on the hunt to replace quicken before my subscription expires. And I've used it since the 90s.
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited February 2020
    Good.  I'm glad you are now seeing it.
    You don't need to install the upgrades if you don't want to.  All you need to do is keep your subscription current which is every 1-2 yrs depending on which plan you subscribed to and when an upgrade is offered you can decline to download/install it.  At least with the subscription model you can get the latest upgrades at no charge when they become available instead of having to buy a new CD/download every 3 yrs or whenever you want to upgrade.
    But I'm with you, for the most part I prefer the old model.  The subscription model is more cost effective for those who used to upgrade to the latest CD/download version every year and it's pretty much a break-even scenario for those who used to upgrade every 2 years but for those of us who used to only upgrade when the 3 yr online services license expired it is more expensive.
    There are quite a few different personal finance management tools available that are less expensive than Quicken (some are even free) but I've found nothing that has the features and capabilities for a comprehensive financial management tool than Quicken.  Also, most of those other tools are online tools and not ones you can download onto your computer (which I very much want).  Bottom line it's a matter of personal choice based upon your needs, wants and priorities.
  • itchyfish
    itchyfish Member ✭✭✭
    Quicken came out with an email stating after April 2020, you won't be able to update anything unless you upgrade to their subscription model software.
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited February 2020
    That message was because the 3 yr online services license that came with your previous program was going to expire.  I'm assuming you were using the Quicken 2017 non-subscription version and Quicken support (including online services) for that version will also cease in Apr 2020. 
    In the past you would have been required to buy a new CD/download program (with 3-yr online services license) if you wanted to continue using One Step Update.  Now you need to buy a 1-2 year subscription, instead.  Other than the length of the online services license and the price it really is no different in that aspect.
    BTW, if you don't want to buy the subscription (or renew it in the future) you can continue to use Quicken and enter your updates manually for as long as you want to because when you buy the program you received a lifetime license to do that. but you won't be able to download any updates once your subscription for online services expires....just like before.
  • SF_fan
    SF_fan Member
    I do not like the recent Update and would like to change the default view in Bills and Income back to the single line view it had prior to the latest Update. Prior to the latest Update, the payment (dollar) amount was on a single line. Now not only is it using far too much screen per item, it is also showing the payment (dollar) amount on five lines, or more depending on the amount to be paid. The only way to put the amount on one line is to make Quicken full screen. I prefer the view I had with Quicken 2017. I could work with the larger block mentioned in other posts, but could Quicken (Intuit) at least make it so the amount is on one line without having to go full screen?
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited March 2020
    SF_fan, you can get a single line default view by following the process I laid out above at the start of this thread.  It looks like this.
  • Movie Nut
    Movie Nut Member ✭✭✭
    THIS HELPS !
    Thanks
    "No Matter Where You Go, There You Are"
    Windows 10 Pro, Quicken Subscription
This discussion has been closed.