Slow Performance with Quicken Data File

It seems this is common issue and I followed as many steps online as I could find but my quicken data file is still very slow to load and change accounts from my accounts tab and sometimes may take several sections to enter transactions (10-15).

Computer (Just created a new one, old computer had the same issues):
AMD 3800X
32 GB RAM
Windows 10 Pro

Quicken - Deluxe 2020
Version: R24.14
Build: 27.1.24.14

See attachment for the data from my QDF file. The file itself is approximately 77MB and contains data going back to 1994. This seems like a relatively small database as far as I'm concerned (no attachments or anything like that).

I have tried creating a copy of the file, validating and repair, super validating all with no luck. I have also tried cleaning up my memorized payee list. All old accounts have been marked as closed as well.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Comments

• whamrick5
    whamrick5 Member
    edited February 2020
    I've been a Quicken user since 1998, and the product has been slow since about 2005. I'm running on a gaming pc with an i7 Extreme processor, super fast memory and a new Nvidia 1620 video card. Quicken is just a dog. Every other program that I have screams.

If you talk to Quicken, they will suggest reinstalling the product, running the file validation, blah, blah, blah. Nothing works.

(Removed-Off-Topic/Inaccurate)
  • Guld
    Guld Member ✭✭
    > @whamrick5 said:
    > I've been a Quicken user since 1998, and the product has been slow since about 2005. I'm running on a gaming pc with an i7 Extreme processor, super fast memory and a new Nvidia 1620 video card. Quicken is just a dog. Every other program that I have screams.
    >
    >
    >
    > If you talk to Quicken, they will suggest reinstalling the product, running the file validation, blah, blah, blah. Nothing works.
    >
    >
    > (Removed-Off-Topic/Inaccurate)

Yep, already been through that. I've been building computers since I was a kid and used to do system admin work. It's not the computer. It's also not the antivirus, lol. And it is a brand new computer with a fresh install of the software.
  • JustMeHere
    JustMeHere Member ✭✭✭✭
    First off it hard to judge what people call "slow" without any actual times mentioned.
    Second Quicken is like a 100 year old man with a facelift.

Just as you might pretty up the face, the brains haven't been changed from day one because it isn't possible.  I'm pretty sure Quicken is using the same database libraries that it did when it first changed to Windows.  One that long ago no longer is supported.

Also I would bet lots of Quicken's core hasn't been changed.  It certainly hasn't been changed to really make use of multiple processors (most likely the database is single threaded).

So given that the cycle time on processors hasn't really changed in a long time, just more processors are added I wouldn't (and don't see) much difference in from running on old hardware and new hardware.

But another thing about the speed of Quicken, size of the data file has almost nothing to do with it.   For instance there are people that have gigabytes of attachments and since the main QDF file is just a compressed ZIP file and they are in folders, they have no impact on the speed.

What tends to slow Quicken down the most is the investment accounts, especially if they have a lot of securities and transactions in them.

And then there are the "problem data files".  Given the conversions year in and year out that a lot of they old data files had, throw in some conversion bugs, and such and sometimes all of a sudden they "act up", and are really slow for no apparent reason.

So back to my first line, I will throw what the performance is like in my data file.  And from what I have seen there isn't anybody out there with a "faster one" even if they have much more modern hardware.  In fact the people that say they have "extreme graphics" tend to report the worse times.

AMD A10-5800K APU 3.8 GHz (using built-in graphics)
    12.0 GB RAM
    512 SSD
    Windows 10 Pro

Data file.

Startup -> 10 seconds.
    Open largest investment account first time -> 10 seconds
    Open largest credit card account first time -> 2 seconds
    Reopen investment account -> 3 seconds
    Reopen credit card account -> less than a second

Enter a buy transaction into largest investment account (from time high Enter/Done until refreshing and such stops) -> 10 seconds
    Using Quicken Subscription Premier (and have a copy of Starter to test things on)
  • Guld
    Guld Member ✭✭
    Here are some times that seem about average for me. I agree that it seems Quicken is still built upon an ancient database system that is very likely single threaded. I just wish they would consider upgrading it, otherwise it seems like they are just trying to milk this until the product is useless for as long as possible rather than investing in a new core database code. Also, it is interesting to hear that faster video cards seem to have worse performance, I am a bit surprised there would be any correlation at all with what video card a system has.

At least modern versions of Outlook can handle huge databases with much faster response times than the tiny databases that I am using in Quicken. *sigh*. Unfortunately there aren't any competitors anymore.

startup -> 21 seconds
    open investment accounts (not particularly large but big) firs time -> 5-10 seconds
    open large credit account first time -> 5 seconds
    reopen investment account -> 2-3 seconds
    reopen credit -> 2-3 seconds
    buy transaction -> 8 seconds
This discussion has been closed.