Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Trouble printing from within Q2006 after moving to Windows 10

I have been using Quicken 2006 under Windows 7. I just re-installed it to a new computer running Windows 10, 64 bit. For a couple of weeks things have been fine. But once I tried to print a report from within Quicken, I found it would not work. Trying to print using Cntl-P also does not work. All non-Quicken printing is fine.

The Quicken pdf printer will not install, which is to say that nothing happens when I execute
c:\ . . .\Program Files (x86)\Quicken\PDFDrv\restorePdfDriver.bat. In looking for solutions on-line, all of them involve doing something with that printer.

So I am beginning to suspect that this printing aspect of Quicken 2006 is just not compatible with 64 bit Windows 10. Am I out of luck with this version of Q?

Having just looked at the Q website, I see that they are charging by the year now. From that I infer that it is now a web-based program. These two things make me reluctant to upgrade, for a couple of reasons not relevant here. But if there is a CD-based version that is newer than mine that would let me print, I would consider it and search on-line for it.

Windows 10 Pro
64 bit
Version 1909
Build 18363.657

Quicken 2006 Basic
Release R 2

Best Answer

Answers

• JustMeHere
    JustMeHere Member ✭✭✭✭
    Printing tends to be one of the first things that stops working when upgrading to a new operating system because it requires hardware driver level support and also printer drivers are a bit different than most other drivers.

One thing you can try is printing to "Microsoft Print to PDF" this is a built-in PDF printer that Windows 10 has.

As for the newest versions of Quicken "subscription".  The subscription is just how you pay for it, it doesn't imply that it is web based.  It is still a Desktop application.  It does have a "companion" web site and mobile app that it can sync some of the Quicken information to, but these are optional, and the Desktop program/data file is the "master".

You can also try Quicken 2013 since Quicken Inc has made an install for it free for use, and it before any of the "Quicken Id" or subscription requirements were put in place.

It is of course manual entry only though.
    See this:

Click on "If you are converting from Quicken 2004 through 2009"

Using Quicken Subscription Premier (and have a copy of Starter to test things on)
  • Seeker301
    Seeker301 Member ✭✭
    Printing using Microsoft Print to PDF did not work, because Q doesn't let me get that far. The instant I hit the print button, I get the message telling me to install the aforementioned batch file.

However, I found a work-around. Should have thought of it before I posted. "Export data" to clipboard worked well enough to be usable, with some formatting problems.

Thank you for your insights.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    1) You're missing patches available for Q 2006

Old Quicken Patch downloads 2000+

When running an old, unsupported Quicken for Windows version you may no longer be able to download bug fixes (patch files) directly from Quicken.
    However, until further notice they are still available here:
    US version: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatches.html
    Canadian version: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatchescanadian.html
    If clicking on Help / About Quicken does not show the highest Release number available for your version (year), as shown on this webpage, download and install the appropriate file(s) from the link above.

2) How to Repair Printer Setup:

Try resetting your printer definitions in Quicken and then redefine the printer:

For Quicken for Windows versions 2009 and older:

• Close Quicken
    • Use Windows File Explorer to locate and rename the file
      C:\Users\_username_\AppData\Roaming\Intuit\Quicken\Config\WPR.DAT to WPR.OLD
    • Now set up your printer again, as described below. The WPR.DAT file will be recreated next time you start Quicken.

For Quicken for Windows 2010 and newer:

• Click File / File Operations / Validate and Repair. Click "Reset Quicken Printer Settings", then click OK.
    • Now set up your printer (see below)

Printer Setup (all versions):

• Close and restart Quicken (might not be necessary, but it can't hurt)
    • In Quicken click File / Printer Setup / For Printing  and visit all selections as needed
      (a) for Reports,
      (b) for Checks,
      (c) for Invoices [Quicken H&B, RPM users only]
      and define your printer.

If you're printing checks, do not forget to select the correct check style.

• For 3-per-page personal size checks choose "Wallet Checks (Check 21 ...)", not "Wallet Checks" (unless you still use some very old stock from many years ago)
    • For 3-per-page business size checks choose "Standard Checks", not "Voucher Checks".
    • For 1-per-page business size checks with 2 stubs choose "Voucher Checks".
    • Canadian users need to choose between 2 layout styles, e.g., old style "Voucher" vs. new style "Voucher - Image ready".

(Optional) If you are printing a logo (image) on your checks, click the Logo button and make sure that your logo image file is still where Quicken expects it to be.
    Also choose the proper features for printing partial pages when using 3-per-page stock.
    Users of continuous forms on dot matrix printers: Be sure to select "Continuous Forms" instead of "Page-oriented".

Make sure that at least one of your printers is marked as Windows Default Printer ... doesn't have to be the one you want to use with Quicken, but you need at least one marked Default Printer

In some of the newer versions of Windows 10 you may also need to do this:
    Go into Windows Settings or Control Panel, Printers & Scanners.
    Uncheck "Let Windows manage my default printer".

3) This is not for the faint of heart, but it may get your Quicken PDF printer working again.

https://www.quicken.com/support/not-able-print-pdf-windows-64-bit-systems

4) If all else fails and you are running the US version of Q 2006
    Upgrade for free to Q 2013 and either stick with it for the near term or upgrade all the way to at least Q 2020 Deluxe (not Starter Edition!)
    The steps to do so are described here (skip the part about first going to 2004 ... you're past that already), and the free download of Q 2013 is a link within the webpage.

http://www.quicken.com/support/how-and-when-use-intermediate-version-convert-older-versions-quicken

• Seeker301
    Seeker301 Member ✭✭
    UKR:

Thank you for your effort. I will check for the patches but have not yet had time to do so. (Income tax time.)
    Under "resetting your printer definitions," my version of windows does not have an "AppData" folder anywhere, nor does it have a WPR.DAT file.
  • Seeker301
    Seeker301 Member ✭✭
    Thanks again, JustMeHere. I did indeed find and rename WPR.DAT. When I went to redefine my printer, it already was set up to my regular printer. I tried to print with that printer and also with Microsoft Print to PDF. Neither worked, because as soon as I hit the print button in both cases, Q displays the message to execute the batch file as mentioned above. If it means anything, both printer descriptions end with "in Ne01."
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your old Quicken may not be able to print properly to a network-connected printer. Try a USB-connected printer instead.
    To try to make your Quicken PDF Printer work follow the instructions I gave under part (3) above.
    Alternative: Download and install one of the free PDF file creation tools and see if you can make it work.
    If all else fails reread part (4) of my response above.
This discussion has been closed.