Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Adjust $ in scheduled future transactions?

How can I adjust the $ amounts of selected future transactions. Also, how to schedule future transactions that will have variable $ amount.

Comments

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    If you double click on a future scheduled transaction in the register, you can change date and/or amount for only that instance of the transaction.

Or, when you double click on the transaction, you will a blue button under it that says Edit All Future Instances. Click this to change any fields of all future instances.

For future transactions of variable amount, you could enter them a zero amount or use an average amount, and then update them when the amount is known.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • wjfeeh
    wjfeeh Member ✭✭
    RickO, When I double click on the future transaction, the cursor skips back to the date of the original (first) transaction.
  • RickO
    That doesn't sound right, but I admit I don't really fully understand what you mean by this. Could you perhaps expand on the explanation of what happens, step by step, and add screenshots if possible?
  • wjfeeh
    wjfeeh Member ✭✭
    Let's say that I create a transaction to pay XYZ every month $40, starting on 3/14/20. Later, I want to change only the 7/14/20 payment to $50. When I double click the 7/14/20 transaction in the register, the cursor returns to the 3/14/20 transaction.
  • RickO
    Okay, I see what you mean now. (I had my registers set to view only single next occurrence.) Now I see that when you double click any future transaction other than the next one, instead of that one opening for edit, the first future transaction in the sequence opens instead. 

I agree that's not how it should work. You should be able to change, say, the fifth future transaction without affecting the others. But this may be something that they were not able to accomplish in the design and so force you to be able to only change the next in sequence transaction. Or it might be a bug.

Assuming the latter, then this would be something to contact Quicken Support about. (Click Help at the top of this page then scroll down to the blue banner.) You can also report within Quicken via menu Help > Report a Problem, but you won't get any feedback using this method.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    I'm pretty sure it was designed so you can either change all future instances of a scheduled transaction or change the next instance of a transaction; they did not design it so you could edit the amount for the 5th or 9th or nth future instance of a transaction independently. So I don't think this is a bug.

I wonder how often people have a need to individually a single edit future instance of a transaction with a different amount like this.

If this is an infrequent occurrence, you might want to just make a single, manual entry dated in the future; when the future date arrives, just mark the scheduled transactions paid and then delete that transaction.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.