Home Quicken for Mac Errors and Troubleshooting (Mac)

How do delete old years on my data file so I have only the last two years?

I am trying to split my data file so it contains only the last two years. I duplicated my whole file; Renamed it. When I started deleting old years, I got the message "there locked children of a split transfer." What do I do?

Comments

• jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's just no easy way to do this. You'd need to go through deleting the transfers in the right order, then deleting other transactions, then calculating what adjustment is needed to get the account balances back to their current values. You could do it, but depending on the number transfers you have, this could be a painful process.

My question is why you're doing this. Quicken is designed to carry many years of data without bogging down. You can set filters in transactions and reports to only show the current or previous year. (Some people want to delete prior years just because it's what they're used to doing, because older Mac and Windows versions of Quicken had databases with size limits and potential for corruption, but the modern Quicken Mac uses a database not prone to such issues.)
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Deborah333Deborah333 Member
    Thank you for answering my question. I was surprised to actually get a response. It was the first time I had been on the community site.

I had come to the same conclusion but getting your replay reinforced me. Especially you comment "why are you doing this."

Thank you so much.
  • TomMTomM Member ✭✭
    What would be the Quicken file size limit. I've got 13 years of data at about 356,000 kb?
  • magoodmmagoodm Member ✭✭
    My file size is 145mb and goes back to 1997 with no issues whatsoever. I have never heard of a size limit for the current QMac.
  • jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is no practical* file size limit, at least that anyone is aware of. Modern SQL databases like the one used by Quicken typically don't have such limits. (Old databases often had tables in which the number of transactions had to be built/reserved, and old code sometimes had limits of the maximum number of database entries they could address.)

*There are limits to various parameters in an SQL database, but in terms of the number of Quicken transactions, the hard limits are not likely to ever be reached. How many billion transactions does any Quicken user need? ;)
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.