Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Purchased a downgraded code to renew, but it immediately downgraded!

Hi! I purchased a Deluxe code to renew my Premier subscription which goes through March 20, but it immediately downgraded my account instead of doing so on March 20! I was already paid through 3/20 on a Premier account. How can this be fixed? Thanks!

Comments

• Shad Ahmed
    Shad Ahmed Member ✭✭
    WOW... The absolute worst customer service I have experienced. This agent clearly does not comprehend the English language and chooses to selectively read the Quicken website. Transcript below for entertainment purposes since obviously Quicken probably won't care to do anything here. I mean, we're talking about 1 month and one day of subscription service so it's nothing to them, but I lost the features I thought I had one more month to use.

ME: Hi! I purchased a Deluxe code to renew my Premier subscription which goes through March 20, but it immediately downgraded my account instead of doing so on March 20! I was already paid through 3/20 on a Premier account. According to https://www.quicken.com/support/how-do-i-manage-my-quicken-subscription, I should have had the rest of my Premier subscription before the downgrade. How can this be fixed? Thanks!

AGENT: Thank you for contacting Quicken Chat Support. My name is Anna. To better assist you, can I please have your first & last name, email address and phone number?

ME: XXXXXXXX

AGENT: Thank you for that information! How can I help you today?

ME: I purchased a Deluxe code to renew my Premier subscription which goes through March 20, but it immediately downgraded my account instead of doing so on March 20! I was already paid through 3/20 on a Premier account. According to https://www.quicken.com/support/how-do-i-manage-my-quicken-subscription, I should have had the rest of my Premier subscription before the downgrade. How can this be fixed? Thanks!

AGENT: Give me a second

ME: OK, thanks!

AGENT: I was checking the information, the actual downgrade takes right away in this from Premier to Deluxe. It extend the months of the subscription

ME: From the website I linked: “A downgrade does not prorate. The current
    membership plan will expire on the original expiration date and the new downgraded plan will begin after that.”
    which makes sense because I already paid through the end of March 20th, otherwise I should get a partial refund!

AGENT: Yes, hat is correct says expire on the original EXPIRATION DATE and the new downgraded plan will begin after that."

ME: correct
    But I got downgraded now instead of “after that”
    my expiration date is 3/20

AGENT: Yes, is talking about that it will extend your subscription. But the downgrade it takes right away.

ME: That is not what it says! It says the “new downgraded plan will begin after that”
    Think about it. I paid already through the end of 3/20. It is fraudulent to downgrade me for something I already paid for!
    This website confirms that I should have had Premier through the end of 3/20

AGENT: “Downgrading your subscription will lower your subscription tier and leave only the features available in that lower tier.”

ME: Yes. AFTER the expiration date

AGENT: n the same link you sent to me it states “Downgrading your subscription will lower your subscription tier and leave only the features available in that lower tier.” It is no fraudulent it is saying that it will doengrade and leave with the available in the lower tier

ME: “The current membership plan will expire on the original expiration date and the new downgraded plan will begin after that” MY CURRENT MEMBERSHIP PLAN IS PREMIER!!!
    If you cannot understand this then please transfer me to a supervisor. It is absolutely fraudulent to pay for something and then not receive it. If you pay for something for a year and then pay for a lower tier for another year, you are entitled to a full year plus a year at a lower tier.
    If you pay for two apples every month for one year, and then pay for another year of just one apple per month, you are entitled to two apples every month for 12 months and then 1 apple every month for another 12 months

AGENT: I cannot transfer you to a supervisor. And I do apologize even if you called and talk to someone else they will tell you the same. The downgrade takes right away, we cannot change that.

ME: That is not what the website says!!!
    It says the downgraded plan will take effect AFTER expiration!
    Do you see that?
    This needs to be addressed by someone who can fix this issue

AGENT: Ok, you can call at 650 250 1900

Still on hold, but not holding out much hope here. I'll update this if they actually address this, but I have a strong suspicion it's the same people and they'll just back each other up.
  • Shad Ahmed
    Shad Ahmed Member ✭✭
    Well, I will say the phone agents seemed much better to deal with, but it seems Quicken does not equip them to deal with issues out of the ordinary. Originally, my options were to keep it as is or to upgrade to Premier but decrease the months of the subscription term to December. I almost gave up. The agent checked with a supervisor and was then able to upgrade me back to Premier and adjusted the subscription accordingly. Lesson learned, I will gladly sacrifice some convenience to speak to someone who can actually resolve the issue.

Thanks for your help , I really appreciate your response and pointing me to the right resources on their website!
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser, Mac Beta, Canada Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad to help. Glad it worked out. But are they going to fix this discrepancy in general?
    Have Questions? Check out these FAQs (links now fixed):COMPLETE list of Product Ideas - Quicken for Mac to VOTE on

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen?
    Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(
    Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Shad Ahmed
    Shad Ahmed Member ✭✭
    My Guess? Not a chance! If they wanted to address the issue, here is what I would suggest on reproducing it for testing purposes, putting my developer hat on. This is likely the use case where this issue arises:

1) Existing subscription is a higher tier
    2) A renewal code is purchased for a lower tier at an authorized reseller (Amazon) vs. on the Quicken website
    3) Customer inputs the activation code before the expiration date.

In order for Quicken to even get wind of this, the customer would have to do this well enough before the current subscription expires that they would notice the issue. However, given my experience, who knows, maybe others have experienced this and just gave up like I almost did.
  • Quicken Kathryn
    Quicken Kathryn Administrator admin
    Hi @Shad Ahmed
    Sorry you had a poor support experience--I think the issues may have been related to a misunderstanding of terminology.  Downgrading to a lower product SKU, as you see in the FAQ above, can only be done through the Quicken website.  What you did by purchasing and inputting an activation code is extend your subscription.

Downgrades don't prorate, however, extensions do--that's why the remainder of your Premier subscription was prorated to Deluxe and added to your subscription term.  I agree the agent did seem to confuse the two terms as well, and I will look into giving this agent feedback.  

I hope this helps to clarify things--

Quicken Kathryn
    Community Administrator
  • Shad Ahmed
    Shad Ahmed Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Hi, thanks for your reply! At first, I didn't understand what you were saying because it seems like it is wrong to downgrade me when I paid for premier through the end of next month. However, if I follow correctly, I think you are saying that this is a "reverse" prorate? In that scenario, are you saying that in lieu of downgrading at the end of the current term, it downgraded immediately, but also then added a nominal amount of time to the term to make up for that? If that is the case, then I have a few thoughts.

(1) I still think that it is wrong to change the terms of what was already paid for, even if the date is extended by a tiny bit more. That is still changing the terms for something that was already pre-paid. Even other SaaS platforms do not do this. I can purchase a Microsoft O365 activation code on Amazon or another reseller and it is treated the same as direct through Microsoft.

(2) It does not clearly state anywhere (that I could find) what the "reverse" prorated value of each "tier-month" is, e.g., is a "Premier month" worth 1.5 "Deluxe months," etc.?

(3) Thank you for communicating with the chat agent that did not clearly explain that to me. I think it is important to learn where this escalated and sounded like he was dismissive of my logic. That, in turn, caused me to become frustrated and it continued from there. A good teachable moment for this agent.

(4) Chat agents should have a mechanism for a supervisor to get involved.

(5) Given that support is limited to phone and chat, there should be an overall method to escalate to a supervisor by the customer, even if it is just by email. Not having any other recourse can lead to customer dissatisfaction with no method for the company to address this. The customer can feel like the company is not interested in resolving issues when there is no other recourse.

(6) I would in the STRONGEST possible terms suggest abandoning this convoluted dual-venue approach to licensing/subscription. Subscriptions purchased through an authorized reseller should never differ in methodology from a manufacturer-direct purchase. The customer, let alone your own customer service representatives, should not have to expend this much time and energy to understand a complex billing policy. At the very least, the FAQ page should be updated. IMHO, however, I think streamlining the subscription methods is better in the long run to avoid this mess in the future.

Thanks again for taking the time to read and reply to this to improve the customer service experience. I hope the team takes this feedback. If VP Pehr Lawson or the rest of the Customer Care team desires to learn more, I am happy to provide any additional info here. Thanks!

Regards,
    Shad
This discussion has been closed.