Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

What will stop users from sharing Quicken Account's username & passwords?

As long as users don't use the Payment feature, I think this would work great.

Best Answers

Answers

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Huh ?  You mean like sharing your Netflix ID/password with others ?  
    OR ?
    Your Quicken User ID / password - can potentially access all your data that may exist via the Quicken Mobile App or Quicken on the Web - all use the same ID / password.
    So, whoever has your User ID / password - has access to your data -
    Quicken 2020 Deluxe - Subscription - Windows 10
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Please clarify what you mean.  Quicken doesn't share Quicken account holders' username and passwords with anyone.
    If you are talking about financial accounts' username and password information you enter for OSU, you can delete your Password Vault and then manually enter all the login information each time you run OSU. 
    Your PW Vault password is either your Quicken ID PW or a custom one you had previously selected.  That information is not shared with anyone else. 
    You can edit/, delete, reset your PW Vault data and change your PW Vault password by clicking on "Password Vault" under "Tools".

(QW Premier Subscription: R32.12 on Windows 10)
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    kydave said:
    As long as users don't use the Payment feature, I think this would work great.

What stopped them in the past?  With the subscription and QMobile, sharing the Quicken Id and Password among users means that the other users may be able to have access to your information.
    I hope you trust your friends, no less your family.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Information about multiple software installations and sharing Quicken ID and PW: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7856893/how-many-computers-can-have-quicken-downloaded
    (QW Premier Subscription: R32.12 on Windows 10)
  • kydave
    kydave Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the replies. Doesn't Quicken state that the account info & data are not sent to their servers? So, if users decide not to use the mobile app, isn't their info not available on the internet? Thus, no other user with the same account username & password would be able to view or even know other's bank account info. As I understand, the way I've been using Quicken, without mobile access, my data should only be on my PCs. Am I mistaken or has Quicken been lying to us? If my info/data is only on my PCs, then there would be no problem sharing username & passwords. Asking for a friend. :-)
  • kydave
    kydave Member ✭✭
    Added a few minutes later.
    Either the info mentioned previously is NOT on the internet or Quicken has been lying to users because when we are asked to send them our files for any reason, it is suggested we clean/purge personal info before sending files to Quicken.

ps56k " You mean like sharing your Netflix ID/password with others ? " YES, that is exactly what I meant.

If Quicken decides to go with subscription, I think this is a major flaw. Then if they limit access to only specific IP addresses it will further limit me using Quicken at a vacation home or at work.

Thanks again,
    KY Dave
  • kydave
    kydave Member ✭✭
    Splasher, thanks for your reply.

The answer you gave was what I thought it would be. The activation codes could be passed along with the username & password. I see these offers for other products fairly often.

IMO - The subscription model Quicken is invoking does nothing to limit piracy, it only demands more money from Quicken users, especially those that don't ever use their Bill Pay, Qmobile or Qweb features at all (such as myself). This will probably limit the amount of new users trying Quicken by adding a year's subscription cost to the try out price as well as driving current users to other products. Quicken's mileage may vary, but this maybe the downfall of this software.

Quicken could limit their losses by offering a stripped down version that downloads bank info without the other features that require secure servers to hold users' data for web access.

Thanks,
    KY Dave
  • kydave
    kydave Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the heads up. I don't intend to use the above scenario, I was just pointing out the possibility of abuse of the subscription plan. I have already developed a strategy for not being able to use Quicken's downloading features when the Quicken team takes away the primary reason I bought their software in the first place. I've found other software that downloads all my banking info and I've been using my bank's free payments for a week and just checking it against Quicken. When the subscription plan ends Quicken downloads, it won't bother me much. I am required to do one additional step that wasn't required with Quicken, but that is much better than paying the extra money required for a subscription and being held hostage for future price increases.

Thanks for your replies,
    KY Dave
This discussion has been closed.