Taking 5 minutes for Quicken to startup or load a file ???

My Quicken has started to take up to 5 minutes to start up. I attempted to create a new quicken file, that took almost 5 minutes as well.

I have already re-installed Quicken, am still getting this tremendous startup lag.

My computer is an i7, with an SSD, plenty of RAM and hard drive space, running Windows 10.

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Do you have Q set to do a One Step Update, from all of your banks/cards/etc, when you open Q?
    Have you tried Validating your Q data file?
    Also, what Q product are you running and what BUILD of Q?  Do HELP, About Quicken for this info.  Also, if present, what's your "Valid Thru" date?
    Lastly, please do HELP{, but this time hold down the CTRL key while you click About Quicken.  Take a snapshot of the resulting dialog and post it here.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • I've used Q since the 1980's, so, have quite some time under my belt with this software.

I do not have it setup to automatically one step update when I start Quicken.

I validated the files, everything is ok.

Running R25.10 of Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property. Valid through 12-3-21.

Did the CTRL+About and have the screen save, however, don't see an option of attaching files to this message.

I just:
    - downloaded the most recent version
    - uninstalled my old version
    - deleted the installation folder
    - reinstalled quicken
    - rebooted.

It's running fine now, however, I also did those same steps a couple weeks back when q was taking an extremely long time to start.
  • JustMeHere
    JustMeHere Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020

Did the CTRL+About and have the screen save, however, don't see an option of attaching files to this message.
    If I remember correctly in this forum you can't attach a screenshot when you first join.  You have to first hit a certain amount of posts before it lets you do it.

I guess this is for "spam control", but it really seems like the wrong thing to do because the very people that might need it the most won't be able to do add a screenshot.
    Using Quicken Subscription Premier (and have a copy of Starter to test things on)
  • OK, I can type in the content from the ctrl+about screen:

File Information:
    size of qdf file: 46729k
    accounts: 43
    categories: 571
    Memorized payees: 766
    Securities/Max ref: 548/549
    Transactions: 31578

System Resources:
    Available Memory: 2097151k
    Total Memory: 2097151k
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    JustMeHere said:  If I remember correctly in this forum you can't attach a screenshot when you first join.  You have to first hit a certain amount of posts before it lets you do it.
    I can't see what a "restricted" forum toolbar looks like...
    which icons you have avail -
    but I thought there was a way to "attach" files -

Quicken Subscription - Windows 10
  • My tool bar has only one item - the emoticon. None of the other icons are available.
  • JustMeHere
    JustMeHere Member ✭✭✭✭
    Since I joined this forum pretty recently I remember the "progression" of what you can do, which of course a SuperUser would never see.

At first it is like dz said only the emoticon.  After some what like 10 comments or so you get to the point where you can "attach" an image, but not post it inline.  Then after some more "badges" for answering questions and such you get to the "contributor" "state" and you get the WYSIWYG editor, with is the one ps56k is showing.

This something the SuperUsers should keep in mind when asking people that just came here to post, and they should also complain to the forum managers to get it changed.  One of the most valuable things a person posting a new problem can give is a screenshot.
    Using Quicken Subscription Premier (and have a copy of Starter to test things on)
  • JustMeHere
    JustMeHere Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    I just noticed something.  For initial submitting of a question even a person that is brand new can attach an image.  But they can't do in any comment.

When I came here I didn't have a problem, I was only commenting, so to me it looked totally locked out until later.
  • CityguyPA
    CityguyPA Member ✭✭
    You are right on. There is no action that should be restricted from anyone all this does is cause frustration and we're already frustrated paying for a product that isn't developed properly.
  • Not to detract from the deficiencies of the forum mechanics, I still have no clue why my Q was taking 5 minutes to start up or open a file. As I'd indicated, I've re-installed Q, but, did this a couple weeks back and the program gradually degenerated to taking so long to start up. My other programs load normally, Q seems to be the only program exhibiting this delay in operating.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    I just noticed something.  For initial submitting of a question even a person that is brand new can attach an image.  But they can't do in any comment.
    It was popular on the old forum for Spammers to run thru the various topics and post bogus scam and fraud "tech support phone number images" ...
    These had to be chased down and deleted before some forum user, looking for help, called one of these folks, paid money for "support" and then had their computer trashed via some remote access software....
    SO... tough decision - limit the spammer access and protect the forum users...
    or...restrict user access to posting images... 
    A different discussion for a differrent thread - not to piggyback on this one
    NOW - back to the 5 minute startup discussion

• Looks like I'm back to a 5 minute startup for q today. Would hate to have to reinstall the program every day.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    OK, I can type in the content from the ctrl+about screen:

File Information:
    size of qdf file: 46729k
    accounts: 43
    categories: 571
    Memorized payees: 766
    Securities/Max ref: 548/549
    Transactions: 31578

System Resources:
    Available Memory: 2097151k
    Total Memory: 2097151k
    here is mine - R24.14 - nothing jumps out

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    take a look at this folder location - and see if there are any HUGE log files -
    use your own Windows user name -
    C:\Users\{Owner}\AppData\Roaming\Quicken\Log\

• several small log files. the largest is qw.log that is 1082kb in size.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    several small log files. the largest is qw.log that is 1082kb in size.
    there were some weird problems at the beginning of the year related to the QW.LOG file, but don't think that it still is..... it was growing in size quite rapidly.
    Here is my current R24.14 file - 101 KB vs your 1,082 KB
    You can delete it, and see how much it starts with & then grows...

• Deleted it, started q, new qw.log size 1 kb.
  • JustMeHere
    JustMeHere Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    It seems like that log file doesn't have anything to "trim it back" from time to time.
    I just checked mine and it is about 200MB and the first entry is Aug 28, 2018.

By the look of it is the developer debugging log.

But note that even with it at 200MB I'm not seeing any slow down with starting Quicken.
    I remember the problem @ps56k mentioned and some people's log files had grown into the gigabytes.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    JustMeHere said:
    But note that even with it at 200MB I'm not seeing any slow down with starting Quicken.
    Yeah - you can delete it and it will get created and stay small..
    Was just wondering if some remnant from New Years might still be active.

• gmk3
    gmk3 Member ✭✭
    Seeing the exact same issue since the R25.10 update. Taking 3-4 times normal to open a file.
  • gmk3: I uninstalled, deleted the q program folder, then reinstalled q, and it's working much improved, however, I did the same process several weeks back and it gradually devolved to taking a very long time to open files.