Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Matching downloaded transactions

I'm probably confused as usual, but...When I have a bill reminder set up to enter the transaction 3 days before, it loads the bill into the register awaiting the transaction to take place. That works perfect. I also have the bill set up in the Bills & Income Tab and have it linked to the reminder. However, when the actual transaction occurs and downloads, it does not match the reminder due to a difference in the actual transaction date and the reminder date. Fine, I just accept the downloaded transaction and match the reminder to it.
If I do it that way, it changes the actual transaction date to the reminder's date (error).
If I change the reminder's date, they will match and sync, of course in the register.
1) Shouldn't the reminder accept the actual transaction date instead of the other way around?
2) Shouldn't the reminder date be updated when the Bills & Income updates the relative biller's date and amount due?

Thanks in advance for any clues.
Quicken since Andrew Tobias "Managing Your Money" V-12 (DOS)
Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit, Core i7 
Quicken Premier
Tagged:

Comments

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    "1) Shouldn't the reminder accept the actual transaction date instead of the other way around?"
    I would say "No."  The reminder entry is, in effect, a "manual" entry you made and, presumably, you did know the transaction date when you "made" that entry.  And, typically, the transaction date that's downloaded reflects the "cleared" date of the transaction, not the date the transaction actually took place. 
    A very obvious example of this would be if you wrote a check and handed to somebody on the 2nd of the month, but they didn't get around to cashing the check until the 20th of the month and it cleared your bank on the 22nd.  No matter what, the transaction date remains, correctly, as the 2nd of the month.
    Given the various billing patterns that happen in the real world it would take a very sophisticated program to actually mimic all that.
  • gooddog50
    gooddog50 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Tom,
    Thanks for the reply. If you assume the reminder is akin to a manual entry, your explaination logic is absolutely correct. If you think of it as non factual, but just a reminder, then the reverse logic I was seeking would prevail.
    The goofy thing is that this used to work previously. I have been using reminders forever and they usually would match up when I started using the Bills and Income Tab. Actually, if I recall, the reminder would be updated to the corrected date when the Bills and Income refresh updated the respective biller.
    Go figure.
    Thanks again for the input,
    Quicken Premier
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps the disconnect between us is due to me being a very long time user and an accountant to boot and have really never used many of the "bell and whistles" Quicken has added over the decades.  In the main I just deal with the registers and transaction lists though I do have plenty of reminders active. 
    I've certainly looked at the Bills and Income tab from time to time but haven't investigated it to any extent.  Maybe I'm missing something.
  • gooddog50
    gooddog50 Member ✭✭✭✭
    I'm sure you are safer in that mode Tom. Unfortunately, I have an engineering background and it gets me into more trouble than I can recall. I've used Quicken ever since Andrew Tobias stopped making "Managing Your Money" software. I am reluctant to delve into the new features area as well knowing I'll probably mess up what's already working...but curiousity gets the best of me at times.
    Thanks,
    Quicken Premier
This discussion has been closed.