Home Quicken for Windows Paying Bills, Online Billers & Reminders (Windows)

Quicken Bill Manager - what are the limits & fees for Quick Pay & Check Pay* ?

This discussion was created from comments split from: Trying to sign up for Quicken Bill Pay -- No longer sure this is a good idea..

Comments

• qradqrad Member ✭✭
    Under "Payment Accounts for Quicken Bill Manager", it shows "Payments available this month" . For Quick Pay, its says "Payment available this month: 12" and for "Check Pay, 3" . Does that mean there is a limit of 3 manual payments we can make a month? Fees for more? I don't see any documentation for the limits, fees, etc.
  • ps56kps56k SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    EDIT - updated topic title to better reflect Q&A
    Quicken 2020 Deluxe - Subscription - Windows 10
  • ScooterlamScooterlam SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    My guess is that you have 12 online bills and 3 manual bills yet to be paid this month?   Could that be what you are seeing?   

From this web page, it seems that the cost of Quicken Bill Manager is baked into the price of Premier and HBR versions, with a soon to be monthly fee for Basic and Starter versions.  I haven't seen any references to limits to the number of online/offline payments.

Good question.

• mnemmnem Member ✭✭
    That's what I'm seeing, but that doesn't answer the question. If the cost is free for Premier and above, and there is a 12 online bill limit, does that mean that you cannot pay more than 12 online bills, or that you will be charged for anything above that? If so, what is the price? Is this cheaper than Quicken Billpay?
  • Quicken KathrynQuicken Kathryn Administrator admin
    Hi All,
    You're correct--there is a limit of 12 online bills and three manual/Check Pay bills per user per month.  The number of payments you have remaining in the month will appear in the Bills & Income tab by going to the Gear Icon > Payment Accounts and looking under the section "Payments available this month".

At this time, if you reach the limit during the month, you simply won't be able to process more payments.  In the future, there may be an option to purchase packages of more payments for a small fee, but that is not available at this time.

Hope this helps!
    Quicken Kathryn
    Community Administrator
  • qradqrad Member ✭✭
    Since many online payments are possible by auto direct billing, it's the manual payments that keep me using bill pay. Three a month is absurd. Part of the reason I update Quicken Premier every year is the cost of Bill Pay baked in. Assuming the 3 manual bills a month stays, and Bill Pay goes away, there is no way I would update Quicken annually and then pay even more for additional manual bills every month. (if even offered, which it is not yet). I would seriously re think this plan.
    edited February 24
    I happen to use my Chase account to use as my Bil Paying conduit for Quicken.  It works well with my Chase checking account, and their online bill paying website.
    Just looked, and I use about 9-12 electronic payments each month - no checks.
    I wonder if the bill paying interface to banks like Chase will be terminated ?

Quicken 2020 Deluxe - Subscription - Windows 10
  • John EllisJohn Ellis Member ✭✭
    > @Quicken Kathryn said: there is a limit of 12 online bills and three manual/Check Pay bills per user per month.  ... At this time, if you reach the limit during the month, you simply won't be able to process more payments. 

That's a non-starter for me. In 2019:

- For individuals and local businesses, I wrote an average of 7.5 Quicken Bill Pay checks/month, with three months having 11 or more.

- For regional and national businesses that (hopefully) provide online bills, I wrote an average of 11.5 checks/month, with three months having 25, 17, and 13 bills.
  • PeterKPeterK Member ✭✭
    I make far more than 15 payments per month using Billpay. I simply pay the extra fee for the additional payments. This is not going to work at all for me.
  • BobCBobC Member ✭✭✭
    1.  Payment limit of 12 or 12+3 - In my brief review of the information posted on the "new" Quicken Bill Manager and Quick Pay and Check Pay, the limitation on number of payments is only the tip of the iceberg, so to speak.   I often make more than 12 payments/month or 12+3.  So this is a real problem.  No problem in Quicken Bill Pay.

2.  Schedule Payment - it appears, from what I see, that you cannot schedule either a Quick Pay or a Check Pay in the future.  The Quick Pay will be made when you enter the data, and I'm not sure about the Check Pay, but it looks like it might be the same.  I must be misreading the instructions.  The software can't be that inflexible??  How do you enter a future date on which you want the payment to be processed?  Note that Quicken Bill Pay does this without any issue, and it has worked for me for years.

3.  Payment of more than the amount due?  I often pay more than the amount of the bill or the amount due.  There are many reasons why one might want to do this.  It appears from the instructions, which I believe say you can enter any amount between the minimum due and the amount due, that paying more than the amount due, which would be the statement amount, cannot be done with Quick Pay.  Is this true?  If so, it is another unacceptable limitation.  Again, no problem in Quicken Bill Pay.  Can it be done with Check Pay?  So, do I need to use Check Pay for those bills where I want to pay more than the amount due?  Wow, the 3 per month limit will be even more of a problem now.

4.  When does the money come out of my bank payment account, and how is that reflected in the Quicken register?  For paper checks, with Quicken Bill Pay, the amount of the check is not debited in your bank checking account, until the recipient cashes the check.  And the amount does not shown as R or reconciled in your Quicken bank register until the the bank shows it as cleared.  This was a desirable and useful feature with using Quicken Bill Pay, NOT available if using my bank's bill pay service, in which case the amount was removed from my account immediately upon processing the payment, even though the bank wouldn't see the loss of the $ until the recipient cashed the check.  So the bank made even more off of the FLOAT.  How does this work with Check Pay?  All of the above details are important.

I hate to be negative, but after all of the Bill Pay issues we users struggled through in November and December of 2019,  this is, as the above users suggested, a real slap in the face.  Perhaps well intended, but with apparent limitations that make it a real backward step, and a deal breaker.  Please, someone who knows how it really works, tell me I have misread the information posted on the new Quick Pay and Check Pay....
    Hi All,
    As you've seen, today we made the official announcement that Quicken Bill Pay will be discontinuing on 5/31/20.  Our service provider for Quicken Bill Pay determined that they would no longer support this service, so we've worked with a new partner to provide this service with a better overall experience from Quicken.

Let me try to address some of your question:
    @qrad Yes, for new Bill Manager users (users who have not used Quicken Bill Pay previously), the total payments per month are 12 online and 3 check payments.

@ps56k No--Direct Connect bill pay will not be going away, and will continue to be available as long as your bank allows for it.

@John Ellis and @jafo @PeterK If you're a prior Quicken Bill Pay customer, you will have 12 online payments and 6 check payments per month; we understand that some users exceed this number, and we're looking to add the ability to expand this in the future with incremental payments for additional bills; however, from our research of bill pay customers, this amount of payments covers the majority of users.

@BobC In terms of payment amount, please see my comments above; scheduled transactions are not available now, but we know this is important to our customers, and we're working on implementing this in a future release.  In terms of paying more than the amount of the bill, there's no issues doing that as long as the payee allows it; if you've done it in the past, you should have no issues with online payments over the amount of the bill.  Payments will appear as uncleared debits in the payment account register immediately after the payment is processed; when the payment clears your bank (which depends on your bank's processing time), the transaction will match to the uncleared transaction in your register.

I hope this helps everyone with your questions!
    Quicken Kathryn

Quicken Kathryn
    Community Administrator
  • mikeglaspymikeglaspy Member ✭✭
    I received the notification of the changed bill paying service. I followed the directions to begin setting it up, but it doesn't appear available on Quicken yet. I checked and have the latest s/w installed (R.25.18). When I click on "Bills & Income", there is NO page that looks like their instructions, i.e., mo "Get Started." When will this be available?
  • mnemmnem Member ✭✭
    Not being able to make more than 12 online payments is a BIG problem, and must be corrected. I will use my bank to make those payments, as necessary. I assume that at least the bills will be delivered ... ????
    The email I received earlier this morning and this new Web page have different and confusing information:
    https://www.quicken.com/billpayC1?utm_source=&utm_medium=email&utm_content=004&utm_campaign=EMBP01NA200305

It says that the "same monthly fee of $9.95 [for Quicken Bill Pay], you’ll get...up to 15 electronic bills with Quick Pay [and] up to 15 manual bills with Check Pay".

But then below it then says, "Quicken Premier and Home & Business memberships include Quicken Bill Manager with up to 12 electronic payments using Quick Pay and up to 3 check payments using Check Pay each month."
    @John Ellis - I see that you are on Quicken Deluxe; Quicken Deluxe users who are currently paying for Quicken Bill Pay will receive 15 Quick Pay and 15 Check Pay payments per month for $9.95.  The free bill pay option for Premier and Home & Business members is 12/3, where as if they are migrating from Quicken Bill Pay, it's 12/6.
    Quicken Kathryn
    Community Administrator
    Thanks. It would be good to update the Web page(s) to clarify all this:
    https://www.quicken.com/billpayC1?utm_source=&utm_medium=email&utm_content=004&utm_campaign=EMBP01NA200305

The 15+15 comes closer to my needs. But what happens in those months when I need more than 15? (The Web page doesn't say.)
  • Pete SawinPete Sawin Member ✭✭
    I received the notification of the changed bill paying service. I followed the directions to begin setting it up, but it doesn't appear available on Quicken yet. I checked and have the latest s/w installed (R.25.18). When I click on "Bills & Income", there is NO page that looks like their instructions, i.e., mo "Get Started." When will this be available?
  • jafojafo Member ✭✭
    > @"Quicken Kathryn" said:
    > Hi All,
    > @John Ellis and @jafo @PeterK If you're a prior Quicken Bill Pay customer, you will have 12 online payments and 6 check payments per month; we understand that some users exceed this number, and we're looking to add the ability to expand this in the future with incremental payments for additional bills; however, from our research of bill pay customers, this amount of payments covers the majority of users.

Thank you for taking the time to clarify, but any restriction to me being able to pay bills via Quicken Bill Manager (your new system) inside of Quicken, is a joke. You have tied my hands and many other hands by removing exiting functionality from the product. Extremely disappointing.

My opinion, this should not launch without ensuring all the features that are currently in place are in the new system. Another slap in the face to us.

Really disappointed in how this is being rolled out and handled.
  • HankHank Member ✭✭
    I use Quicken Deluxe 2020 Version R25.10 Can I use Bill Manager? How?
  • SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 5
    If you haven't already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/billmanager
    Quicken user since 1997
    Premier on Windows 10
  • HankHank Member ✭✭
    I have reviewed that, and I still have the same question. If you scroll down to the last item before "upgrade", it says in the box under Deluxe "Upgrade for $9.95 a month, coming in June/July." Quicken BillPay quits before that!!!!
    edited March 5
    Hank said:
    I have reviewed that, and I still have the same question. If you scroll down to the last item before "upgrade", it says in the box under Deluxe "Upgrade for $9.95 a month, coming in June/July." Quicken BillPay quits before that!!!!
    If you want to use Quicken Bill Manager before it is available in the Deluxe Edition, I suggest you consider the upgrade to the Premier Edition: select Help > Add Premier...

If you're using Quicken Bill Pay, I suggest another Bill Pay service.
    Quicken user since 1997
    Premier on Windows 10
    Hank said:
    It appears that they are FORCING us to upgrade. I want a confirmation or denial from someone at Quicken.
    They're not forcing you to do anything.  The company that provided Quicken Bill PayMetavante Payment Services, has decided to terminate the service.  If you want a Bill Pay service, I suggest you find another provider.  At this time, Quicken Bill Manager only provides Quick Pay and Quick Check which has significantly less functionality.
    Quicken user since 1997
    Premier on Windows 10
  • markb1markb1 Member ✭✭
    I am totally done with quicken. After 30 years and all my trouble with quicken bill pay...it just isn’t worth it.
  • HankHank Member ✭✭
    Sherlock, I appreciate your comment. The problem is that I have become so connected to Quicken that I don't see how I can just go somewhere else. I have 8 bank accounts in Quicken. I pay many bills from each account each month. I do my taxes using Quicken reports on five properties. I think I have to stick with Quicken for my records. I just don't know what I am going to do about the bill paying. I can probably shift some of the bills to automatic payment, but not all. I think I could get by with BillManager for what's going to be left, but I sure would like to set it up and see before "June/July".
    Hank said:
    Sherlock, I appreciate your comment. The problem is that I have become so connected to Quicken that I don't see how I can just go somewhere else. I have 8 bank accounts in Quicken. I pay many bills from each account each month. I do my taxes using Quicken reports on five properties. I think I have to stick with Quicken for my records. I just don't know what I am going to do about the bill paying. I can probably shift some of the bills to automatic payment, but not all. I think I could get by with BillManager for what's going to be left, but I sure would like to set it up and see before "June/July".
    There are 510 financial institutions that appear to support online bill payment from within Quicken using the Direct Connect connection method.
    Quicken user since 1997
    Premier on Windows 10
  • Bob_AlderBob_Alder Member ✭✭
    edited March 7
    Sounds like I must convert to “Quicken Bill Manager” from my current "Quicken Bill Pay."

That's fine, but several things are not clear to me;

• Will this new “Quicken Bill Manger work with my current software (Quicken 2017 Deluxe)
    • Will the monthly fee for bill paying be the same $9.95?
    • Will I have to re-enter all my apx. 80 Electronic Payee list (resident with Quicken Bill Pay) after starting Quicken Bill Manager?
    • Per instructions I have updated my Quicken to the most recent version (i.e. Quicken 2017 Deluxe, version R19.8, build 26.1.19.8). However, when then following instructions at the link shown below, there is no navigation to select “Bills & Income.” What step am I missing?

(https://www.quicken.com/support/how-move-quicken-bill-pay-quicken-bill-manager?utm_source=113&utm_medium=email&utm_content=001&utm_campaign=EMBP01NA200305).

Thanks for your help.
    Bob Alder