Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Data downloaded from PayPal changes form its downloaded in every couple months

In 2019 there were multiple periods where weeks or months of data was missing when I synced with PayPal which I do at a minimum monthly. Sometimes I'd receive the deposit and bank service charge in two sepearate transactions. Other times I'd receive them in one transaction with split categories. This was has been a nightmare for reconciliation of my business income/expenses taking hours of my time to click each transaction 4-5x. How do I stop this from happening.

Comments

• JustMeHere
    JustMeHere Member ✭✭✭✭
    How do I stop this from happening.
    There is only one way I know of, stop using PayPal.

The users, and in fact Intuit and Quicken Inc have no control over this.

I'm not exactly happy with it either, but I'm lucky in the sense that I only have a few transactions a month and can deal with this kind of thing and the "flaky downloading" that also is the "PayPal to Quicken" interface.
    Using Quicken Subscription Premier (and have a copy of Starter to test things on)
  • ncutsforth
    ncutsforth Member ✭✭
    > @JustMeHere said:
    > (Quote)
    > There is only one way I know of, stop using PayPal.

This wasn't happening before 2019 so I something changed on the software or banking end. I've been using PayPal with Quicken for 10 years.
  • JustMeHere
    JustMeHere Member ✭✭✭✭
    > @JustMeHere said:
    > (Quote)
    > There is only one way I know of, stop using PayPal.

This wasn't happening before 2019 so I something changed on the software or banking end. I've been using PayPal with Quicken for 10 years.

Well all I can say is you have been luckier than I have.  It has been "flaky" ever since I have even used it.  Not everyday or even maybe every month, but they have changed "what downloads, missing transactions, download net instead of payment and fees" and "when as in delayed transactions", ...

Currently it is in fact been working pretty well for me for the last week or so, but I get very few transactions so I'm not much to go on.

As for "what's changed", I would have to say my guess is "nothing in Quicken", "maybe something on Intuit servers that collect the data", and "almost 100% that PayPal is change things".
    Using Quicken Subscription Premier (and have a copy of Starter to test things on)
  • TomM
    TomM Member ✭✭
    I never felt the need to link to PayPal. That said, I don't do a large number of transactions with them. When I do, I create a manual transaction in Quicken in my checking account such as PayPal ABC Corp, PayPal XYZ Corp, etc.. When I update the bank transaction links to the transaction I manually posted in my checking account and it reconciles just like any other transaction.
  • JustMeHere
    JustMeHere Member ✭✭✭✭
    The real problems (bigger) with PayPal comes from when PayPal is used as a business account.  With such activity, there are fees associated with them and they change depending on the cost of the item and if a currency exchange fee is applied.

And then couple that with most businesses (not mine) have tons of purchases, it really can't be handled manually.  Either they have to get the PayPal connection working or work out some other way to get/manage the transaction information.
  • Adam
    Adam Member ✭✭
    I am wondering if anyone has found any solution to this situation. I currently run two online businesses that use PayPal for all of the payments. The unpredictability and inconsistency that occurs when trying to sync these transactions with Quicken has been a nightmare, to put it mildly. Months of transactions will occasionally completely disappear from Quicken when I try and sync. Sometimes debits are shown as credits. In the last few months I have been forced to enter transactions in Quicken manually in order to just try and get things to balance. In short, the Quicken/PayPal integration has become literally unusable for me, and now I'm forced to spend hours manually entering transaction data from hundreds of payments.

EDIT: Just got off the phone spending over an hour with Quicken support and PayPal support and basically both are blaming the other for this issue. I cannot believe how frustrating this has become. Quicken developers: If you can't get this to work, then take PayPal connectivity out of the program instead of misleading us into thinking it can be used reliably!
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Adam said:
    Quicken developers: If you can't get this to work, then take PayPal connectivity out of the program instead of misleading us into thinking it can be used reliably!
    This one falls squarely on PayPal. They have never cooperated with Quicken. The only connection method is Express Web Connect, which in this case involves the Quicken aggregation servers performing screen scraping on PayPal. Because PayPal couldn't care less about Quicken, they feel free to change their data presentation however and whenever they like. This breaks screen scraping.
    Users: if you can't rely on PayPal, use a different payment service which is more compatible with Quicken.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • ncutsforth
    ncutsforth Member ✭✭
    > @Adam said:
    I'm forced to spend hours manually entering transaction data from hundreds of payments. [[SAME HERE... it's DEPRESSING]]
    >
    > EDIT: Just got off the phone spending over an hour with Quicken support and PayPal support and basically both are blaming the other for this issue. I cannot believe how frustrating this has become. Quicken developers: If you can't get this to work, then take PayPal connectivity out of the program instead of misleading us into thinking it can be used reliably! [[ I AGREE at least I can use my PayPal report to separately calculate that portion for my taxes but its a lot more work]]
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    @Adam said:
     Quicken developers: If you can't get this to work, then take PayPal connectivity out of the program instead of misleading us into thinking it can be used reliably!
    PayPal. Can. Not. Be. Used. Reliably. With. Quicken.
    If it gives you heartburn, stop trying to download it into Quicken. You have 2 choices.
    1. Enter your PayPal transactions manually.
    2. Use a different payment service.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • mrnic408
    mrnic408 Member ✭✭
    Reading this thread with interest...

I just upgraded from Q2017 Windows to subscription. Paypal downloads used to work fine... no issues or frustrations ever.

Since I upgraded... the 'account balance' will update just fine, but no transactions are downloaded, so I'm left to fill in the transaction details on my own.

I did an 'account reset', then also did a 'deactivate/reactivate' sequence. No changes.

It's almost like the download methodology changed from Q2017 to the current version. Frustrating. I was hoping for a better experience after the upgrade....
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @mrnic408 All I can say is that I have been using Quicken "Subscription" from 2018 and PayPal and currently my PayPal downloads are working correctly.  But will that said PayPal and Quicken have had a long history of "not getting along".  Goes for a while with no problems, then transactions don't download or are delayed or needs reset...
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • ProfQuill
    ProfQuill Member ✭✭
    > @mrnic408 said:
    > Reading this thread with interest...
    >
    > I just upgraded from Q2017 Windows to subscription. Paypal downloads used to work fine... no issues or frustrations ever.
    >
    > Since I upgraded... the 'account balance' will update just fine, but no transactions are downloaded, so I'm left to fill in the transaction details on my own.
    >
    > I did an 'account reset', then also did a 'deactivate/reactivate' sequence. No changes.
    >
    > It's almost like the download methodology changed from Q2017 to the current version. Frustrating. I was hoping for a better experience after the upgrade....

This started happening to me within about the past week, while I was using Q2017, exactly that, the online balance is updated but no new transactions. I looked in the log file and the transactions simply aren't there.

I JUST updated to the subscription version (extremely reluctantly, but have no choice if I want to download), and the problem is still there, so I want to verify that it seemingly has nothing to do with the Quicken version.

This has happened in the past, and after no apparent admitted fixes by anyone, it just started working again. So I guess that is all I can hope for and in the meanwhile enter transactions manually.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    I have one Paypal transaction a month.  Paypal sends a Charge to one of my credit cards and I download from that credit card.
    Works well, and I don't have to deal with actually downloading from Paypal itself.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    NotACPA said:
    I have one Paypal transaction a month.  Paypal sends a Charge to one of my credit cards and I download from that credit card.
    Works well, and I don't have to deal with actually downloading from Paypal itself.

This is a good solution if you don't use the "PayPal balance" and you are just transferring money in to pay for this or that item.  But if you run a business and use PayPal as your payment system it isn't going to work, or if someone just choose to maintain a PayPal balance and pay out of that for some reason.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.