Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Quicken should offer a DAAS and then users can use the full desktop version wherever they are

Quicken should create a Desktop As A Service offering allowing users to run quicken wherever they may be. Now I know, I know. Some skeptics on here are going to claim that is a security disaster waiting to happen. But all your info is already on the cloud if you use the mobile and app sync features. Remote desktop uses 128 bit encryption, the desktop itself has a password, and the quicken file can also be password protected. With that in mind one would have to go through a lot of hassle to even try to get to your data if protected properly.

If quicken were to simply offer a good DAAS service then they could make quicken available whenever and wherever. Scrap the efforts on the web version, and put those efforts into the mobile app (for entering transactions on the go). And into new features for the desktop version (which can be available wherever web access may be offered via RDP or just a browser.
Tagged:

Comments

• JustMeHere
    JustMeHere Member ✭✭✭✭
    In fact Quicken Inc already tried this.  It went through a long beta and then was released.  And was shutdown a few months later.

My personal opinion of one of the reasons it failed is because of Quicken Inc sort of giving people the impression it was "more" than what it was.  As in it was the desktop Quicken just run from remote.  People really wanted and believe they were getting is a multiple user interface that they could access from anywhere.
    Using Quicken Subscription Premier (and have a copy of Starter to test things on)
  • pmrussell892
    pmrussell892 Member ✭✭✭
    This can already be done for around $12 a month so probably not very cost effective for Quicken Inc. Not sure what technology they used to do it before, but desktop as a service is just a windows 10 pro desktop hosted in the cloud,a nd accessed using the remote desktop software built into windows. The install on the remote server uses the same .exe installer file as any other desktop install.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser, Mac Beta, Canada Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have Questions? Check out these FAQs (links now fixed):COMPLETE list of Product Ideas - Quicken for Mac to VOTE on

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen?
    Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(
    Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• JustMeHere
    JustMeHere Member ✭✭✭✭
    This can already be done for around $12 a month so probably not very cost effective for Quicken Inc. Not sure what technology they used to do it before, but desktop as a service is just a windows 10 pro desktop hosted in the cloud,a nd accessed using the remote desktop software built into windows. The install on the remote server uses the same .exe installer file as any other desktop install.
    They never gave the "reasons" it failed, so that is just speculation on my part.  But I think you are right that not being that cost effective had to play a part in it.
    Using Quicken Subscription Premier (and have a copy of Starter to test things on)
  • JustMeHere
    JustMeHere Member ✭✭✭✭
    smayer97 said:

Frankly I think Quicken Inc believes that they have already addressed this request with the creation of "Quicken Simplifi".  And any "efforts" for more features would go there.

I think that this request as the users are envisioning it is simply impractical.

First off the web is harder to design for than the Desktop as in the GUI elements you can use are more restrictive.  But even if they weren't just look at Quicken Mac and how long it has taken to get even close to the Windows functionality.  And now people want them to restart and do all of this on the web with all the same features.  It just isn't going to happen.

Intuit and Quicken Inc and the users have long under estimated what it takes to build out the features that Quicken has, not to mention that Quicken users don't really represent what the "new generations" might want.  There isn't any point in doing large scale development to work into a customer base that is shrinking.  They would/should be looking for the feature set for the "new generations".
  • pmrussell892
    pmrussell892 Member ✭✭✭
    > @smayer97 said:
    > Why not simply vote for Full Featured Version of Quicken On the Web (not dependent on desktop version)?

That is unlikely to happen anytime soon as it would require very extensive reworking and writing of millions of lines of code to replicate something that can be so easily offered using a program that is already written and battle tested. This idea, and the web idea are two completely different solutions with the same end result.
This discussion has been closed.