Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Can I change from Quicken Premier 2014 to Quicken Deluxe 2020 and not lose all my data?

I thought I’d like Premier but it just has a bunch of stuff I have never used. I want to get back to as simple a program as I can, even if I have to go back to getting started. First of all my name is Paulette and I’m doing all this for my husband who is 72 and hates change. I can run circles around him technology wise, but he has gotten to where he doesn’t want to learn. So I want to change his Premier version he hates to Deluxe or even Getting Started. Is that possible without losing all his years of data?

Best Answers

Answers

• Paulette
    Paulette Member
    This is my first post, I don’t understand why I need to fill in a second "body" but there you go. What ever, but that is not what I need help with.
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since you are using Q2014, you have not used online access for some time. While you may not use the features of Premier, you do not need to use any feature you don't choose to. The differences between Deluxe and Premier are not that great. If you opt to go with Q2020 Deluxe, you will gain online access, but you will also need to renew each year. This is a subscription version and if you choose not to renew, you will be left with a banner add consuming about a quarter of the screen.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 20H2
  • Paulette
    Paulette Member
    Is Quicken Getting Started the simplest? He just wants to keep track of bills and pay bill online like he has been. He says this new version won’t let him put in his deposits and his bills in the same place "like the old version ".
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paulette said:
    He says this new version won’t let him put in his deposits and his bills in the same place "like the old version ".
    Which new version? You were asking about Q2014 vs Deluxe. While there have been some minor changes, the overall way to enter deposits has not changed. Online bill payments is supported in Starter, but is not really a good choice.

user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 20H2
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R32.12  USA & Quicken 2017 HBRP R20.6 USA
                       Windows 10 Pro 32 & 64-Bit Build 21359.1
    also            Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19042.928

Note: Holding Down the Left Shift Key or Left Ctrl Key produces Window with Quicken 2019 in the Title Bar when click About Quicken,

View: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7859218/work-with-copies-of-your-actual-quicken-data-files/p1?new=1

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser, Mac Beta, Canada Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    GeoffG said:
    ... If you opt to go with Q2020 Deluxe, you will gain online access, but you will also need to renew each year. This is a subscription version and if you choose not to renew, you will be left with a banner add consuming about a quarter of the screen.
    Did you mean to say that "Starter" version? It is the one that needs to stay renewed or the data becomes read-only.
    Have Questions? Check out these FAQs (links now fixed):COMPLETE list of Product Ideas - Quicken for Mac to VOTE on

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen?
    Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(
    Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Paulette
    Paulette Member
    I’m just trying to update/upgrade our computer which he hasn’t used for awhile. He’s been using a laptop since we started trying to move and now that we finally have the computer here he wants to use it and it’s latest version of Quicken is Premier 2014. I wanted to go ahead and upgrade him to the newest version that would be the simplest for him. Keep track of bills, payees, deposits, future payments etc... What do you suggest? Staying with Premier or going with Deluxe or even Getting Started? Also thank you all so much for your help.
  • Paulette
    Paulette Member
    Are you telling me that Quicken have come out with a version where you can keep track of your bills and pay them online somehow, and you don’t have to pay 9.95 a month?
  • Paulette
    Paulette Member
    I seem to have left out the fact that he does use the online bill pay part of Quicken and I am certain that he doesn’t want to give that up. So let me back up and start with this. On the Laptop is one old version of Quicken 2017, I’m not certain which package on the computer is the Quicken Premier 2014. He wants me to upgrade the Quicken on the computer and then move the up to date data from the laptop to the computer. I thought since they were different not just in the year that my first job would be to upgrade them both to the same thing. When they went to purely subscription service did the price change from what he has been paying of $9.95 a month?
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser, Mac Beta, Canada Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    $9.95 is the cost for the "old" Quicken Bill Pay service. It works with or without Quicken online functionality. If you have online functionality support in Quicken, then you can initiate Bill Pay directly from within Quicken. Of course, QW2017 support ends Apr 30, 2020. But it he used Quicken Bill Pay with QW2014, that is not the main issue. It is not clear how he has used it though.

Subscription Quicken Premier comes with some limited Bill Pay service, so you'll have to see if he exceeds this to know whether to replace his existing Bill Pay service or not.

So one option would be to move/re-install QW2017 to the desktop computer and continue using Bill Pay outside Quicken (if that is how he used it before with QW2014) and continue paying $9.95/mon. Or you can upgrade to Quicken subscription. Premier goes for $67.50 from Quicken (10% discount; last week had 40% off) or there is a Premier version on Amazon for $60 here (the picture shows it to be a 2 yrs subscription but it is not mentioned in the description...don't worry about the 2018 version...under the subscription, it is automatically updated to the current version).

Have Questions? Check out these FAQs (links now fixed):COMPLETE list of Product Ideas - Quicken for Mac to VOTE on

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen?
    Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(
    Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• thecreator

Quicken Subscription / Premier or higher comes with Free Quicken Bill Pay. Deluxe Edition does not include Free Bill Pay. You must re-apply for Free Quicken Bill Pay. Cancel the one you pay $9.95 for.

Have you investigated PNC Bank as a Bank to switch to, which offers Free Bill Pay through Quicken?

1-888-PNC-BANK (1-888-762-2265)

• Through PNC Voice Banking, automated account information is available 24/7, 365 days a year.
    • 24-hour Automated Account Information is available 24/7, 365 days a year.
    • View the Consumer Voice Banking menu map to get access faster to the information you need.
    • PNC Customer Care Consultants are available 7:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m., ET, Monday through Friday and 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., ET, Saturday and Sunday to help you with your existing PNC accounts or to open new accounts.
    • Calling from outside the United States? General Customer Service can be reached by calling International Collect, 412-803-7711, to help you with your existing PNC accounts. Available 7:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m., ET, Monday through Friday and 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., ET, Saturday and Sunday.

Also Quicken Subscription offers unlimited Device Installations. Quicken 2017 and 2014, did not. However, you must use the same Quicken User ID and password, for each Quicken Data File.
    thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R32.12  USA & Quicken 2017 HBRP R20.6 USA

Note: Holding Down the Left Shift Key or Left Ctrl Key produces Window with Quicken 2019 in the Title Bar when click About Quicken,

View: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7859218/work-with-copies-of-your-actual-quicken-data-files/p1?new=1

• Paulette
    Paulette Member
    My husband hasn’t used the 2014 Quicken Premier version on our computer since about 2014-2015. He had bought himself a laptop and when we purchased a new version 2017 at that time, I only installed it on the laptop. Now there both out of date. He wants to keep using Quicken and the online billpay. So baring in mind that he want to keep track of all his bills and continue to make payments online using billpay, keep track of all payees and all deposits, be able to balance his account. Everything just like you do with a checkbook. Which version of Quicken would you suggest? Even if you know something easier that will do all he wants and it isn’t Quicken. Well that probably wouldn’t work unless it could take in and decipher his data. When I tried to talk to him about all I’ve learned from y’all, he only commented on the third party billpay. Saying I don’t know if I want to do that.
  • thecreator
    edited February 2020
    Hi @Paulette ,

The Quicken Bill Pay that you currently have will stop on April 30, 2020 when Quicken 2017 online services stop and that Quicken Bill Pay does not work with with Quicken Subscription. You will need to Sign Back on to Quicken Bill Pay as a New User.

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/19871785#Comment_19871785

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/19993475#Comment_19993475

• thecreator
    Paulette said:
    My husband hasn’t used the 2014 Quicken Premier version on our computer since about 2014-2015. He had bought himself a laptop and when we purchased a new version 2017 at that time, I only installed it on the laptop. Now there both out of date. He wants to keep using Quicken and the online billpay. So baring in mind that he want to keep track of all his bills and continue to make payments online using billpay, keep track of all payees and all deposits, be able to balance his account. Everything just like you do with a checkbook. Which version of Quicken would you suggest? Even if you know something easier that will do all he wants and it isn’t Quicken. Well that probably wouldn’t work unless it could take in and decipher his data. When I tried to talk to him about all I’ve learned from y’all, he only commented on the third party billpay. Saying I don’t know if I want to do that.
    Hi @Paulette ,

Quicken Bill Pay is a 3rd party Application.

A Bank's Bill Pay used with Quicken is a 1st Party Application.

It is like walking into a Bank, to pay your Gas and Electric Bill.

So you enter your Online Payee Information. Then enter the Check information. Hit Enter and look at the Check Register. It has Send in place of the Check Number. It doesn't have a Online Check Number, until it would be uploaded to the Bank.

• thecreator
    smayer97 said:

The Quicken Bill Pay that you currently have will stop on April 30, 2020 when Quicken 2017 online services stop and that Quicken Bill Pay does not work with with Quicken Subscription. You will need to Sign Back on to Quicken Bill Pay as a New User.

Actually, this is only partially correct. Quicken Bill Pay service does not stop on April 30, 2020. What will stop is Quicken 2017's ability to interact with Quicken Bill Pay from within the product. You can actually still continue to use Quicken Bill Pay by logging into their website to initiate transactions BUT you will have to enter them into Quicken manually. That is what I was alluding to as a possible option (though he most likely is using Bill Pay from within QW2017, it is not clear to me if he actually is based on previous wording).

If he is, then the most familiar route would be to upgrade to Quicken subscription but it will require signing up and setting up with the new Quicken Bill Pay all over again.

Hi @smayer97 ,

Paulette wrote:
    "He wants to keep using Quicken and the online billpay. So baring in mind that he want to keep track of all his bills and continue to make payments online using billpay, keep track of all payees and all deposits, be able to balance his account. Everything just like you do with a checkbook. Which version of Quicken would you suggest?"

My answer is based on what he wants to do.

Premier would give him Free Quicken Bill Pay, saving himself paying $9.95 a month for the service.

If he would be willing to change to a Bank that offers Free Bill Pay using Quicken like PNC Bank as an example, he could go with Deluxe saving money on the cost of Quicken.

This discussion has been closed.