Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Do I need to do One Step Update before exiting Quicken?

I ended up setting up Quicken on the Web after researching whether to put my Quicken for Windows data file on OneDrive (most common answer - don't do that).

Before I rely on it, I have some questions.

1) When I am done using the desktop version, do I have to remember to manually do a One Step Update before exiting, just in case the next time I access my data I do so via Quicken for the Web? If I forget to do the One Step Update after making changes on the desktop, is it the case that Quicken for the Web just won't have my latest changes, and will sync them automagically the next time I do a One Step Update from the desktop? How are conflicting changes handled?

2) It appears that the initial setup of Quicken for the Web didn't merely transfer my Quicken data from my PC to Quicken's servers, but it also did a download for each of my accounts (I know this partly because Citi gave an error saying I had to visit https://citi.com/datamanagement to approve). Will it do future downloads at some random time? If so, how does this mesh with 2FA? I'm guessing it won't text me in the night and expect me to provide a code like what happens when I do a One Step Update.

3) Should I instead use the Quicken Mobile Companion app? Does it use the same underlying mechanism as Quicken for the Web? Is it more or less reliable than using a browser?

Side note - I really really hoped that by now Quicken would be a bit more robust when using cloud storage. My recent purchase of a Surface Pro prompted all this. Having my data tied to a single PC (or having to write a PowerShell script to move the file back and forth between cloud and local) is so 20th century :smile:

I have read all the FAQs I could find, but I couldn't see anything explicit regarding this. But I could be blind.

Thanks.

Comments

• JustMeHere
    JustMeHere Member ✭✭✭✭
    Let me first say that syncing to the "cloud" isn't a backup for your data file, and it isn't a 100% of your data, and can't be used to recover from lost data on the Desktop.  Backup your Quicken Desktop data file (to OneDrive is fine for the backup).

#1 Yes you have to remember to sync before exiting to get the changes you made pushed up to the cloud/server.

#2 What is happening is that the accounts your have selected are synced to an account/dataset on the Quicken server (the "cloud"). Both the web and the mobile are basically just GUIs to look at this "cloud" data.    Those servers in turn will log into the financial institutions to download new transactions, just like One Step Update does for the Desktop. This is to keep them up to date even if you are away from your Desktop for an extended period of time.  As for conflicts.  What is suppose to happen is that whether the Desktop downloads a transaction or the "cloud account/server" does it they should get the same unique Id so that Quicken knows that they are in fact the same transaction.  Manually entered transactions from either side should sync in both ways when you do the cloud sync on the Desktop.  If you change the same transaction say for the category in both places without first syncing, they I don't know which will "win"

#3 The web interface has more features, and because of being able to use more screen space (mobile has to work on phones), so mobile certainly wouldn't be the "better choice".  It is more about what the user has in any given situation.

A note about "backups"  Copying the .QDF is a "backup".  So if you want you could have a script that copies the .QDF out out OneDrive, and then opens Quicken with it (you can give the QDF file as a parameter on the command line), and then when Quicken quits, copy it back.
    Using Quicken Subscription Premier (and have a copy of Starter to test things on)
  • JustMeHere
    JustMeHere Member ✭✭✭✭
    P.S.  You don't have to do a full One Step Update just to sync to the cloud.  There is a separate button that is put in your tool bar by default that will do just that sync.
    Using Quicken Subscription Premier (and have a copy of Starter to test things on)
  • Oscar101
    Oscar101 Member ✭✭
    1.) One Step Update will pull transactions that your desktop copy doesn't know about, and it logs on to each site in turn. You can select which accounts are updated on each run (e.g., I only update investment accounts every quarter).

2.) I've never turned on the web stuff ... but QHB will sync the accounts you choose to Quicken servers. This is a necessary pre-req to using the mobile app and likely necessary for the web stuff as well.

3.) I use the mobile app on two devices because I find that using the app is less onerous than sitting down with a pile of receipts at the desktop. The mobile app takes some getting used to but after that, well, it works for me. While I'm filling my gas tank, I have the charge filled out and waiting for the final cost to appear on the pump.

One downside to the mobile app is (AFAIK) you have to manually invoke "Mobile & Web / Sync Now" to retrieve mobile transactions to your desktop.

Side note: I haven't used COPY (close out past year) in years so I have a fair amount of data in my QDF. The first sync on the mobile devices was, yes, painful. A good wireless connection helps. The mobile apps will re-sync when opened. Sometimes there is a noticeable delay if you're on cellular data at that moment ... but it retrieves only changes, and once everything is sync'ed up it works pretty good (but I live in an urban environment).

When I first fired up the mobile app I instantly decided that I didn't need to have all of my data in the cloud (e.g., why do I need to carry around my investments and savings accounts on my phone?).

Another side note: You can tell that I don't rely on Q web for full recovery of my QDF file. Personal cloud stuff (G-Drive, One Drive, etc.) is not a good choice; a better choice would be a cloud backup service which encrypts your QDF data on disk and provides some guarantee of recoverability; this is what I do, but I also have business data on my machine. Once upon a time Quicken had an embedded Dropbox option, but that seems to have disappeared. Those more adept than I am might produce simple CMD files that zip and encrypt your QDF to a separate folder that the procedure syncs to a more public cloud space (but this is likely not a trivial exercise).

HTH.
  • Mike Thomas
    Mike Thomas Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the responses @JustMeHere & @Oscar101

Still researching.
This discussion has been closed.