Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Process for using a retail code to extend existing subscription

fggates
fggates Windows Beta Beta
Hello - I have searched for this answer but the ones published skirt away from the detail I need, or seem counter to the official language on the Quicken.com website FAQ.

I am a 24-year user, $325MB QDF. I have always upgraded each year, and now have a Premier subscription (27 month) which will need renewing at the end of March 2020 (next month).

The Quicken.com FAQ states:

Can I use a retail copy of the Subscription Release of Quicken to extend my membership?
Yes, but you can only redeem the activation code in the retail copy to extend your subscription in the last six months of your current subscription term. Note: Activation codes expire 24 months after being generated.

How does that work in practice? I am looking for the best per-year offer and would be happy to pay 2, 5, more, years ahead for that. After 24 years I expect to use Quicken until either I or the company dies. I am irritated by the usual subscription renewal shenanigans of giving new users the best deals and punishing loyal users with high rates for automatic renewals.

Looking around, I see 12 or 14 month new-user Premier DVD with code sold for $31 from a well-known reputable mainstream outlet. If I were to buy a new subscription from Quicken online there is a 2-year $119. If I let it renew automatically I could be in for a $85 1-year surprise since the upcoming rate is not available, and I anticipate the full MSRP ('for convenience' !).

SO HERE'S THE QUESTION -
If i buy Quicken Premier and receive an activation code how does that work in practice to extend/renew my existing subscription per Quicken's FAQ? It is VERY VERY important that my QDF is carried forward; I do not mind reactivating any financial provider linkages. An subscription extension is of course preferable (per FAQ) but since I can get a code in days/minutes I can apply it in the last 24 hours of my sub to avoid overlap. 1 day doesn't matter but there must never be QDF continuity issues. My QDF file is among my most valuable possessions.

Looking for actual first-hand experience advice.

Thank you,

Frank.

Best Answers

• fggates
    Accepted Answer
    Thanks Frankx.

I did some more research. For the benefit of all others here is the way to extend a subscription using an activation code obtained in a retail copy of Quicken, which will be less expensive than using Quicken's own automatic renewal process.

1. During the last 6 months of your present subscription locate a retail copy of the Quicken version you wish to extend. In may case that is Quicken Premier.

2. Make sure that the product assembly date is within 24 months. So, right now a copy of Quicken Premier 2019 would do the job since Q2019 was released in Aug 2018 and the activation code in the box would not have been generated before early March 2018.

3. Rip open the retail box. Use the activation code at Help | Enter Activation Code ... The term of your subscription will extend by the period of the activation code (adds to the end of your present subscription period).

4. Discard of the retail packaging and disc responsibly.

In my case I am able to add 14 months to my subscription for $31 vs the $75 for 1 year available at auto-renew. That is a 65% saving.

Answers

• fggates
    Accepted Answer
    Thanks Frankx.

I did some more research. For the benefit of all others here is the way to extend a subscription using an activation code obtained in a retail copy of Quicken, which will be less expensive than using Quicken's own automatic renewal process.

1. During the last 6 months of your present subscription locate a retail copy of the Quicken version you wish to extend. In may case that is Quicken Premier.

2. Make sure that the product assembly date is within 24 months. So, right now a copy of Quicken Premier 2019 would do the job since Q2019 was released in Aug 2018 and the activation code in the box would not have been generated before early March 2018.

3. Rip open the retail box. Use the activation code at Help | Enter Activation Code ... The term of your subscription will extend by the period of the activation code (adds to the end of your present subscription period).

4. Discard of the retail packaging and disc responsibly.

In my case I am able to add 14 months to my subscription for $31 vs the $75 for 1 year available at auto-renew. That is a 65% saving.
This discussion has been closed.