Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Must I "Set up transaction download" for Navy Federal CU every time I wish to "update my account"

I am running Quicken 2020 Version 5.14.3 (Build 514.31897.100) on my iMac (Catalina 10.15.3), and I bank at, among other places, Navy Federal Credit Union. Although NFCU requires 2-factor authentication, Quicken doesn't prompt for a security code when I attempt to "Update" those online accounts, nor does anything download, nor do I get an error message. The only work around I have found has been to "Deactivate" downloads and repeat the process to "Set up transaction download" each and every time. And in fact, each time I follow the latter process, I'm prompted for and must enter a security code twice.

Is this a known issue? If so, is a permanent fix being developed, and/or is there a better workaround? I'm ok to have to 2-factor each time, but it doesn't seem right that I should have to initiate a download by deactivating and repeating the set-up process each time to access the account, not to mention to have to 2-factor twice per connection!

Comments

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Makers,
    I am also an NFCU member and Quicken user. You may not be aware, but NFCU will let you opt out of the 2 factor authorization. I have done this and avoided the connectivity issues with Quicken.
    Frankx

Quicken H&B-Subscription - Ver. R29.20 - Build 27.1.29.20  - Windows 10 Home - Ver. 2004
                                             - - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's some related guidance from the NFCU website:  BTW - here's an answer to an FAQ on the NFCU website:

Why am I being prompted for 2-Step every time I sign in? 

Enable Easy Sign In on mobile or check the box to "trust" your browser in online banking to avoid being prompted for 2-Step every time you sign in. You can do this during the 2-Step process, in Profile & Settings on mobile* and in Settings in online banking.

Quicken H&B-Subscription - Ver. R29.20 - Build 27.1.29.20  - Windows 10 Home - Ver. 2004
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -
  • Makers
    Makers Member ✭✭
    Thanks Frankx, but I prefer to keep 2-factor on for my bank accounts, and since I can't see what's going on nor do I have any control over the machines Quicken uses to login with, I'm not able to "check the box to trust" the computer being used to log in with. I wonder if there are any other better workarounds?

I also wonder what exactly is going on. Why does it take two security code exchanges for every login? And why can't I see the request for a security code when I use the "update" feature to download transaction instead of having to deactivate and go through the set up process again?
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Hi @Makers,

I would suggest that you touch base with the NFCU Support folks.  Maybe they can tell you what's happening from their side technology-wise and give you some comfort on the "trust the machine" issue.  I've used Quicken for many years with my NFCU accounts, and while there have been download issues from time to time, I've never had a secutity issue. 

I am not sure why there would be 2 security code requests per login (since one would seem to be sufficient) but I think that indicates some incompatibility between Quicken's download process and NFCU"s security requirements.  So I decided to keep the convenience of Q download process.

Good luck!

Frankx

• Makers
    Makers Member ✭✭
    I would be happy to use the "trust this machine" option, but I don't have access to it since it's not my computer that's logging in, it's Quicken's. I'm not asked during the login process whether to trust the machine in the future since it's Quicken that's doing the login, not me.

What are you referring to when you say, "So I decided to keep the convenience of Q download process"?
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Makers,
    I understand what you are saying about Quicken's computers versus your computer, however I think that effectively what I did was to opt out of 2 factor authorization for my CU accounts. And - for full transparency - I do note that another FAQ on the CU website does say this: "

FAQ

1. How will 2-Step Verification impacted me if I use a financial third-party site like Mint.com? 

You may experience issues with third-party sites or apps that pull information from your accounts across different financial institutions. We recommend checking your accounts directly through our mobile* and online banking services.

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    On the "convenience " comment, I simply decided to choose the "let Q connect" option versus the " 2 factor security" option. And I offset the potential risk by frequently changing p/w's.

• Makers
    Makers Member ✭✭
    Good stuff, Frankx. Thanks!
    I will give Navy a call and see what they have to say. My bet is they will say it's an issue with Quicken's software, and the fact is, I agree. I'm totally fine to go thru 2-factor each and every login, but Quicken doesn't give me the chance. It simply fails to download anything. And even my workaround (deactivate/reactivate downloads) is buggy since it requires me to 2-factor twice!
  • Makers
    Makers Member ✭✭
    I spoke with the credit union's technical support people. They tell me some people have no trouble though they couldn't say what version of Quicken those people are using. For those that have trouble, the only workaround they have to recommend is to disestablish then reestablish the transaction download feature. Other than that they recommend I bring up the issue with Quicken. They say there is nothing else they can do.

Help!

Is there a representative from Quicken that can help me with this?
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    HI @Makers.

Sorry to hear that you are still having problems with NFCU downloads, but to be honest, over the years, connectivity with my NFCU accounts has be up and down. I can't count the number of times I have deactivated and reactivated my accounts.

I don't have a representative's name that you can contact - I'd recommend that you use the chat function or support line - both of which you can access from the bottom of this link https://www.quicken.com/support#windows

Good luck!
    Frankx

This discussion has been closed.