Quicken on the Web still using Adobe Flash ? - authentication error - which browsers

First time I attempt to login I get an authentication error: "An error occurred while verifying your credentials, please try again. If you believe you have received this message in error please contact support." Then I enter exact same user id and password and my account data loads just fine. Is this a known issue?

Comments

• I have the exact same problem. I can't log in at all using Firefox or Safari. I have to use Chrome. It's the only one I can get in on, but I have to do it twice. Often I have to clear my history to get it to work.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    JohnWells said:
    First time I attempt to login I get an authentication error:
    What browser ?
    As mentioned above, maybe this bug is related to specific browsers - or their settings -

Quicken Subscription - Windows 10
  • JohnWells
    JohnWells Member ✭✭
    OK it didn't happen with MS Edge, but I don't want to use Edge. I've also done a "Cloud Reset Data" from the Quicken Deluxe Windows app.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check to see that your browser allows popup windows from https://www.quicken.com or quicken.com
    In Firefox you may also have to change Security settings: Enhanced Tracking Protection from "Strict" to "Standard"
  • JohnWells
    JohnWells Member ✭✭
    I added allow to Quicken.com and no success. Maybe Quicken - Web should make their login page more STANDARDS-friendly?
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    hmm.... seems like a large amount of data downloaded BEFORE the signon screen.
    Yup - looks like they are using - Adobe Flash -
    I totally disabled the Adobe Flash add-on in my FF browser -
    and Quicken on the Web still works just fine...
    SO... Adobe Flash may not be the actual culprit -

Quicken Subscription - Windows 10
  • JohnWells
    JohnWells Member ✭✭
    Bingo! In Chrome browser I get the "flash blocked" symbol in the URL/Search bar. Adobe Flash is EOL the end of 2020. Quicken needs to abandon it.
  • JohnWells
    JohnWells Member ✭✭
    I even try to edit my comment to thank you and get a "format not allowed when I try to save the edit to my above comment. Quicken doesn't play well with Chrome . . . the most widely used browser by far.
  • TheLogicEscapesMe
    TheLogicEscapesMe Member ✭✭✭
    There seems to be a lot of assumptions and guesses, and not a lot of "testing".

Let's put down some of the facts.

Quicken Web is used by thousands of people, and most likely even used by the developers that created it.

Chrome used "the most" (by millions and it is "impossible" that none of the thousands of users aren't using Chrome)

ps56k has already tested with Flash blocked and doesn't have the problem.

Web code is written to be flexible. As in "use this if available" if not "try this". Just because web browser flags that Flash was "blocked" doesn't mean that it is guaranteed to be the problem, just that the code was setup to try it.

In your last comment John you state that trying to edit on this website you got a format not allowed" and of course that means to you that "Quicken doesn't play well with Chrome". Well first off this forum is a third party software package that Quicken Inc is using. They didn't write it. And again we have the thousands of people that use the site and as you pointed out most of them must be using Chrome, but the forum isn't filled with "site doesn't work with Chrome comments", not to mention all the other sites that must be using the same third party software.
    And then there is this thread. Two users telling how the site used by thousands must be the problem. Why, because they have a problem with it.

Hmm. To me that doesn't add up.

I'm sorry, but the problem is with your machine/web browser/install/settings.

I have personally just tested the following for logging in and viewing Quicken web.

On Windows 10.
    IE 11 -> doesn't work, gets a blank page (not sure why, but at this point most agree that IE should be used, even Microsoft)
    Edge -> no problem
    Chrome with and without Flash blocked -> no problem
    FireFox with and without Flash blocked, with standard mode and strict -> no problem

On iPad (iOS):
    Safari -> no problem

BTW on the ""format not allowed" that isn't a "this website doesn't like Chrome" problem. I have seen that problem once or twice using FireFox, and forget exactly what was causing it, but it might have been I was trying to copy the text in from an editor, or it was some "simple" it just doesn't like XXX in the text. It has more do with the editor built into this forum, than the "browser".

One last thing, I tested logging in starting with www.quicken.com and from the app.quicken.com with FireFox blocking popups, and had no problem. Which is no surprise if you just watch it as you log in. Each time you do a submit the current window is refreshed with the new page. They aren't using popup windows.
  • JohnWells
    JohnWells Member ✭✭
    > @TheLogicEscapesMe said:
    I'm sorry, but the problem is with your machine/web browser/install/settings.

HP Chromebook 3 running latest stable version (recently powerwashed - no settings changes) Version 80.0.3987.128 (Official Build) (64-bit)/ Chrome browser.

Windows 10 Edge browser - get same results as with my chromebook.
    Quicken windows app - latest build - R25.18 No file validation errors. No mobile sync errors. Have logged in as different user to reset my credentials and reset cloud data.

Two different machines and browsers - sort of refutes your claim.
  • TheLogicEscapesMe
    > @JohnWells said:
    > > @TheLogicEscapesMe said:
    >>I'm sorry, but the problem is with your machine/web browser/install/settings.
    >
    > Two different machines and browsers - sort of refutes your claim.
    >

Your two machines and browsers against my two machines and multiple browsers. Not to mention every other user that isn't on this or other threads complaining.

It definitely isn't that they are using Adobe Flash.

But I did leave out one other possibility that given all the information in this thread tends to point to, there is something wrong with your account.

It seems to be the only thing that is in "common" with the problem.

I suggest that you contact Quicken Support and see if they can help:
    https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support
  • JohnWells
    JohnWells Member ✭✭
    Two hours online with Quicken support. Mostly had me repeat all the things I had already tried. I've been a Quicken user since 1992 (Quicken for DOS). They didn't find any errors in several log files. They elevated my ticket to Tier 3 and said I could continue to ignore the "error occurred while verifying your credentials" and log in again, while they investigate. They think the problem is on their website side.

After ending call I tried using Verizon phone as hotspot to rule out ISP - Router problem and uninstalled / reinstalled Quicken. Problem is ongoing.
  • TheLogicEscapesMe
    It is certainly a "strange" problem given that it is only affecting a very few users.

I did find another thread on here from one more user.
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20073456#Comment_20073456

But not nearly as much as you would expect if this was happening to "everyone".
This discussion has been closed.