Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Spending over time bar graph question

I'm so sorry if this is a ridiculous question but I haven't been able to find the answer. In Quicken on the Web, there is a spending over time bar graph that shows amounts as positive or negative for each of the last 6 months. What is that bar comparing it to? The prior month at that time? The prior year? Many thanks for the assist.

Comments

• Even though it says "spending" what each bar is Income - Expenses.
  • Chris Ingoldsby
    Chris Ingoldsby Member ✭✭
    Thanks FixFound. So what is the difference between that and net income over time? They show different results.
  • @Chris Ingoldsby I could have sworn that when I looked at it yesterday it was showing me Income - Expenses, but I just brought it up and now it is just showing the expenses (spending). Net Income over time is indeed showing Income - Expenses.

I should note that I don't really use the web interface regularly I was just curious after reading your question so I synced a very simple example, and then just posted what I "thought" I saw. The example was just one $2000 deposit and one $122 expense.
  • @Chris Ingoldsby I just added to the example case and this might help. What I did is put both a payment and deposit, but with no categories. The result is that it put both on the Spending graph. See the enclosed screenshot.

To further confuse things both the uncategorized payment and the deposit show up on the net income over time graph too.
  • P.S. Note that it is the category that decides if a transactions is income or expense, not the sign of the transaction. For instance you can have a positive transaction in an expense category when you return an item you bought. So it makes sense that it really wouldn't know where to put uncategorized transactions.
  • To further complicate this, note that transfers are neither income or expense. Normally this is exactly what people would expect. If you transfer money from your checking account to your savings account, you wouldn't call that either income or expense. But how about a mortgage payment?

That is going to be made up of paying the interest (shows up as an expense) and a transfer to the loan account which then goes down. The "right thing" happens to your overall net worth, but you won't see that "expense" as most people think of it, in the spending graph.
  • Chris Ingoldsby
    Chris Ingoldsby Member ✭✭
    @FixFound - thanks for all your comments. I'm going to have to play around with it myself to see whether I can get any value out of it. The net income I get and use, but am struggling to see whether spending over time could be used for anything.
This discussion has been closed.