I get "Error Accessing disk" after I do an online update. (edited for readability)

I get "Error Accessing disk" after I do an online update. Plus, Quicken keeps adding back a deleted balance update messing up my balance. I have to keep going back and deleting it.

Best Answer

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the complete file name, drive letter + path + file name, fo your Quicken data file?
    What version, edition level and release of Quicken are you using?  Click Help / About Quicken (Mac: Quicken / About Quicken) to get this information.
    What version of Windows or Mac OS are you using?
    Do you have cloud backup software like Dropbox or MS One Drive configured to back up your active data file while Quicken is running?

• Steve Buchanan
    Steve Buchanan Member ✭✭
    2020. R25.18.
    I use Dropbox and I backup to a external hard drive and to my desktop.
  • Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator mod
    Hello @Steve Buchanan

Thank you for providing that information, although I apologize that you have not yet received a follow-up response.

Is the Quicken data file saved in Dropbox?  Or is it saved in a location on the local hard drive, such as the C drive and Documents folder?

If saved in Dropbox, please move the data file to your hard drive and try once more, does the error still occur?

Please let us know, thank you.

Sarah
  • Steve Buchanan
    Steve Buchanan Member ✭✭
    I’m saving to dropbox, my hard drive, and an external hard drive. I just tried deleting all the files in both places and then saving them again. I’ll see if that works.
  • bryangauvin
    bryangauvin Member
    I'm having the same issue for over a month now. But ONLY on 1 checking account. All others can do reconciling no issue. Please advise how to fix this bug.

Yes, I have validated the file.
    Yes, I have tried super validation.
    Yes, I have access to the file on the drive.

This is 100% a quicken bug as its ONLY on 1 account and not on others.
  • meggiemck
    meggiemck Member
    i'm having the same issue and am not using Dropbox
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    UKR said:
    What is the complete file name, drive letter + path + file name, fo your Quicken data file?
    What we want to know is where your Quicken data file resides.
    None of you have answered @UKR 's  and my question.
    Please provide the full path name of your Quicken data file, starting with C: and ending with .QDF.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • TravelGuy
    TravelGuy Member
    I'm having a similar problem. I don't use Dropbox. Quicken Data File is located at c:\Users\Owner\Documents\Quicken\TransferFromOld.qdf
  • Steve Buchanan
    Steve Buchanan Member ✭✭
    C:\Users\bucha\Mirror\BACKUP\BACKUP\quicken backup file3B.QDF-backup
  • Jacob Pankowski
    Jacob Pankowski Member ✭✭
    In the process of reconciling one of my accounts, I received the Error Accessing Disk message. I am running the latest version of Q for Windows Premier in a VM on my Mac using Vmware Fusion. The data file is located at \\vmware-host\Shared Folders\Quicken Data
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    C:\Users\bucha\Mirror\BACKUP\BACKUP\quicken backup file3B.QDF-backup
    This is your daily-use data file? There are a few things wrong about this.
    • A .QDF-backup file is exactly that, a backup. It should not be used as your data file. You should have a .QDF file as your daily production file.
    • After you started opening your data file from the BACKUP folder, Quicken created another BACKUP folder inside it to hold its automatic backups. You are getting in deeper and deeper. You should not open a .QDF-backup file from a BACKUP folder. You can restore such files. You should only be opening .QDF files. The two file types are identical, though, except for the filename extensions.
    • Sometimes people have trouble with long data filenames with embedded spaces. Try a shorter name without punctuation.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • Steve Buchanan
    Steve Buchanan Member ✭✭
    This is still happening. It’s sporadic. It’s like the January transaction that is a balance Update keeps re-inserting itself so I have to go back and keep deleting it.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the process of reconciling one of my accounts, I received the Error Accessing Disk message. I am running the latest version of Q for Windows Premier in a VM on my Mac using Vmware Fusion. The data file is located at \\vmware-host\Shared Folders\Quicken Data
    Your Quicken data file should not be stored in a shared folder. I suggest moving it to C:\Users\<Username>\Documents\Quicken.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Steve Buchanan
    Steve Buchanan Member ✭✭
    So that means that I cannot use an external backup hard disk in addition to backing up to my computer hard drive? I like to back up online, to an external back up, and to my computer hard disk. Are you saying I can’t?
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is not what Greg stated. Your data file should be in the documents folder. Your manual backups can be wherever you choose.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 21H1
  • Jacob Pankowski
    > @Greg_the_Geek said:
    > (Quote)
    > Your Quicken data file should not be stored in a shared folder. I suggest moving it to C:\Users\<Username>\Documents\Quicken.

Thank you Greg for your comment. I'm afraid, however, that having my data file in a shared folder is not the issue. I run QWin Premier on two computers, a desktop and a laptop. I have been using that setup for over 20 years as a Quicken user. I run QWin in a VM on my Mac. I have never had the Disk Access error message in all these years of running Quicken and reconciling accounts with my data file in a shared folder that resides on the Mac side of my system. The first time the error appeared was shortly after I updated to the latest version of Quicken on my desktop (R 26.17; Build 27.1.26.17). After receiving your response I decided to see if the same error occurs on my laptop running an older version of QWin (R25.21; Build 27.1.25.21). The data file on my laptop resides in precisely the same place as the data file on my desktop. That is, it is on the Mac side of my system, in a shared folder, called Quicken Data. When I tried a reconcile on my laptop on the same account that elicited the data error on my desktop, no error was returned. In other words, using the same "shared folder" setup under a VM, the newer version of QWin (26.17) returned an error when reconciling, but the older version (25.21) did not. So it seems that the issue is not the use of a shared folder, but some bug that was introduced in the latest update to Quicken that was released in the last few days. Please advise.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    I would suggest still moving your data file to the suggested location and then reconciling. It's not recommended to keep Quicken data file in shared folders due to possible corruption. I've seen many posts about "can't access disk" or "file in use" after a Quicken update. I don't know why updates sometimes trigger those messages.
  • Jacob Pankowski
    Thank you for your comment. But as a Mac user, leaving the file in a shared folder makes backing up and moving files around much easier that moving the file inside the VM. And like I said, I've been doing it this way literally for decades. Something got broken in the latest update and should be fixed. How do I communicate this to the people that do the updates?
  • Greg_the_Geek
    edited April 2020
    You asked for a suggestion and I replied. If you don't want to try a simple test, suit yourself. Don't come complaining here when you find your file is corrupt.
  • Jacob Pankowski
    Thanks for the suggestion. I thought, apparently mistakenly, that you were associated with Quicken. Sorry about that. If you don't mind telling me, how do i get this issue in front of a Quicken employee?
  • Greg_the_Geek
  • Jacob Pankowski
    Thank you. By the way, I moved my data file inside the VM as you suggested and the same data error occurs when reconciling.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you. By the way, I moved my data file inside the VM as you suggested and the same data error occurs when reconciling.

I'm beginning to get the feeling that your data file structure has been irreparably damaged. Remember, a Quicken data file is a Zip-file like file structure under the covers with a data encryption scheme thrown on top. And if there's damage in that file structure you may as well start looking at Plan B: Restore your data file from a backup taken before the first disk error occurred
    Or Plan C: Try to build a new file from scratch, for this year and the future
    Or Plan D: Try to salvage as much data as you can and build a new file from the pieces.
    Or ...
  • Steve Buchanan
    Steve Buchanan Member ✭✭
    Are you saying that if my file is irreparably damaged that that my DATA is essentially gone? Should I just start a new data file and store the old one?
  • Jacob Pankowski
    RESOLUTION!! My problem started when I updated to the latest version of QWin (26.17). When I then tried to reconcile my credit card account I received the Disk Error message. I am running QWin inside a virtual machine on my Mac using the latest version of VMWare Fusion. I have had this setup for decades. I have always stored my Q data file in a shared folder on the Mac side of my computer. I have not had any problems until this latest 26.17 update. So, in response to comments I received here, that the data file should not be in a shared folder, I moved my data file "inside" the Windows VM environment, but the disk error reappeared when I tried to do the same reconcile on the same credit card account.

In addition, I also run QWin on my laptop using the same kind of VM setup where the data file is also stored in a shared folder on the Mac side. However, I had not yet updated the Q version on my laptop and i was still running 25.21. Using the data file on the laptop, I was able to reconcile the data file on that laptop with no errors.

I then retrieved a backup file that was created before I updated my desktop to 26.17. First, I tested it out on the laptop under 25.21, and all seemed well. I then transferred that backup file to the desktop running 26.17, and the reconcile action that resulted in the disk error message did NOT reappear. And the reconcile completed successfully under 26.17.

So the conclusion seems pretty clear. Something in 26.17 or in the update process itself, corrupted my data file. I am now using what was the backup file without any problems on my 26.17 machine. It would seem to me that Quicken needs to reexamine 26.17 and see why it is corrupting otherwise healthy data files.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    I'm glad to hear that you know so much about about how Quicken writes to it's data file that you've determined that your file corruption was caused by a Quicken update and not by storing your Windows Quicken data file in a shared folder on a Mac. Also, if the 26.17 update caused corruption as you believe, why aren't thousands of other users posting the same problem?
This discussion has been closed.