Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Create new data file with less historic data

My data file goes back to 1993 and quicken support told me that it is causing random errors and I need to reduce it to 8 years or less, i tried to create a new file by copying only the last 5 years of data using the date range selection but it apparently did not work since I had transactions in my checking account that went back to 1998. Suggestions? I really would like access to at least 5 years data in the same data base.

Comments

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    I don't believe you will find any of the regulars on this forum that advocates purging older data.  Quicken support seems to like to fall back to that answer rather than working with the user to fix their data.
    So, lets say that you do get rid of anything older than eight years, what happens if your corrupted data was from 4 years ago, you will still have the same issue with your smaller data file and you won't have easy access to the older data anymore.
    My data file goes back to 1996 and I have no issues with it.  Validate and super-validate report not issues and my data file does not crash or freeze.
    If you are intent on purging some of your data, see this FAQ: FAQ - Year End Copy

-splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • MPSwampf0x
    MPSwampf0x Member
    I would LOVE to keep all my data! The issue that generated my support call was that when I ran some of my saved reports or even a quicken standard report for tax info, my report would not show the individual transactions in my selected category (e.g. medical). My back up for 1/26/2020 worked fine, but a later BU had the report issue. I restored the Jan BU but now the question is can I transfer transaction between !/26/2020 and today or do I need to enter each one manually because of potentially corrupt data. I do not know how to super-validate. I would like to take my most current BU prior to my nightmare 3 hour support session and try to super validate. Plan B is to validate my restored 1/26 data then try to export transactions from the most current super-validated copy into the 1/26 version. If that needs to be done, do I need to include memorized payees, categories, etc . I tried once to start the process With all boxes checked but it was very, very, slow and I became concerned and stopped the process. I don’t think I added any new accounts last month so I think transactions would be sufficient. The only other issue I encountered when I used all accounts for moving transactions for Feb to my working Jan BU, was that my mortgage split trans action especially did not work well and I had to manually correct, but that is minor. I hope you can follow my problem, Thanks so much for saying you had no problems with your historic data. I will abandon the thought of creating a new data file without all my historic data. Your comments on the above are very welcomed and appreciated.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    You initiate a super-validate by holding down the CTRL+SHIFT when clicking on File->File Operations->Validate & Repair.
    If you do downloads via One Step Update or Web Connect, you should be able to be get everything since the BU was made, otherwise it would be manual updates since there is no good way to export and import those transactions.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • MPSwampf0x
    MPSwampf0x Member
    As a very long time quicken user, I have not linked my back and investing accounts with Quicken since, at least initially, that was where they had numerous problems. Also, as far as my bank accounts are concerned, i wanted an independent check. After all of this, I may at least link my investment accounts since I have two factor for any changes. Thanks so much for your comments. I don’t want to find myself in 2021 trying to print my reports and having the same issue but a years worth of corrupt data.
  • MPSwampf0x
    MPSwampf0x Member
    BTW: right now, one step update has been limited to security prices. do you feel it is secure enough to broaden it as an online backup for all account info and data.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    You might try copying your data file from within Quicken and validating the copy. A copy can fix data problems sometimes.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • MPSwampf0x
    MPSwampf0x Member
    Thanks
  • MPSwampf0x
    MPSwampf0x Member
    Interesting. I restored the Jan BU where reports worked as expected. However, after doing a super-validate on that copy, reports no longer showed the transaction details in the selected category. Stumped abou next step.
This discussion has been closed.