Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Bill Manager: Clarifications are needed

I see that we are again being asked to convert to a new bill payment platform. Second time in 2 years.

After reading the marketing pages, and being a very long time user of Billpay, I have some questions that I think others would also like to ask:

1) Currently the Billpay service includes a number of transactions each month (Premier, H&B). If a member goes over they are charged an additional fee for the overage (in groups of 10 I believe). Please confirm that we can continue to make as many payments as we want understanding that there is an additional cost after the included transactions. State the terms.

2) Many of us use the Metavante Transfer feature to move money between accounts. This was not implemented through Quicken, but through the Metavante web site. I have high limits that I have earned and use this service often. Please explain how this can be done with Bill Manager, and if there are limits and fees.

3) 11,500 payers seems small so I need to better understand what you mean. Am I able to pay any bill I want, and quicken determines if the payment will be electronic or check? That was a terrific feature that I suspect you are now expecting us to determine. I want to pay bills unencumbered by restrictions and trying to figure out how. I also want to pay anyone as I do now.

4) Is it 3 or 6 paper checks included in the base service? Your marketing says 6, on other threads your folks say 3.

5) Is there an external site for Bill Manager. The Metavante web site has often been the saving grace when Quicken is having issues. Its is extremely important that the "Paying" part work properly and execute with no issues. I am concerned that embedding everything in Quicken may be too restrictive. Can you clarify?

Answers

• BobC
    BobC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Marauder - I agree with your comments and questions.  Good questions.  I posted some additional comments and questions in the below thread, that you may or may not also be interested in.  Seems like this "new" feature set has not been thought out as well as it should have been...

BobC
    Thanks,
    BobC
    Quicken Subscription 2020, Build 27.1.29.20, Windows 10 Pro v 1909 Build 18363.959
  • Marauder
    Marauder Member ✭✭✭✭
    BobC. I did see that thread and I felt the Intuit responses were muddled and inaccurate. So I asked again with additional items.
  • mikeglaspy
    mikeglaspy Member ✭✭
    I received the notification of the changed bill paying service. I followed the directions to begin setting it up, but it doesn't appear available on Quicken yet. I checked and have the latest s/w installed (R.25.18). When I click on "Bills & Income", there is NO page that looks like their instructions, i.e., mo "Get Started." When will this be available?
  • Quicken Kathryn
    Quicken Kathryn Administrator admin
    @Marauder thanks for your questions! 

1) Currently the Billpay service includes a number of transactions each month (Premier, H&B). If a member goes over they are charged an additional fee for the overage (in groups of 10 I believe). Please confirm that we can continue to make as many payments as we want understanding that there is an additional cost after the included transactions. State the terms.
    There is no current way to exceed the amount of bills provided, however, we are working on a process that will allow users to purchase additional payments.  When you reach your payment limit, nothing will happen, you'll just be notified in-product that your available limit has been reached.

2) Many of us use the Metavante Transfer feature to move money between accounts. This was not implemented through Quicken, but through the Metavante web site. I have high limits that I have earned and use this service often. Please explain how this can be done with Bill Manager, and if there are limits and fees.
    There is not a way to transfer money between your accounts with Quicken Bill Manager.

3) 11,500 payers seems small so I need to better understand what you mean. Am I able to pay any bill I want, and quicken determines if the payment will be electronic or check? That was a terrific feature that I suspect you are now expecting us to determine. I want to pay bills unencumbered by restrictions and trying to figure out how. I also want to pay anyone as I do now.
    11,500 payees is the number of available online payees available to pay; you'll download your bills through Bill Presentment and then you can pay those online bills with Quick Pay.  However, if you want to pay someone via check, all you need is an address for Check Pay; as long as you have an address, you can pay them.

4) Is it 3 or 6 paper checks included in the base service? Your marketing says 6, on other threads your folks say 3.
    If you are a prior user of Quicken Bill Pay, you receive 6 paper check payments; brand new users of Quicken Bill Manager receive 3.

5) Is there an external site for Bill Manager. The Metavante web site has often been the saving grace when Quicken is having issues. Its is extremely important that the "Paying" part work properly and execute with no issues. I am concerned that embedding everything in Quicken may be too restrictive. Can you clarify?
    There is not currently an external site for bill payment; however, we've worked hard to ensure that Quicken Bill Manager is fast and functional.

Hope this helps,
    Quicken Kathryn

Quicken Kathryn
    Community Administrator
  • RTPIV
    RTPIV Member
    Regarding number of payments, this is what I got in an email from Quicken:
    "For the same $9.95 you're paying now, we'll give you up to 15 check payments and 15 electronic payments each month. "

My concern is if I will be able to continue to set up payments in advance like with Bill Pay? For example, I get a credit card statement today that is due in three weeks when I am traveling. I can go ahead and set it up for payment on the due date. In another thread, I saw that feature may be lost. IF so, I'll look for another bill payment platform.
  • SantaFeTom
    SantaFeTom Member ✭✭
    Step #1 is to enter an on-line biller. Step #2 is to enter manual bills to be payed by check. Manually sending checks is all I use Bill Pay or Bill Manager for. I do not use any on-line billers. I had to jump through hoops to find one and set it up, including the fact logging onto Quicken Bill Pay does not work for any Chromium based browser because I could not check a box saying I had read the disclaimer. Why is it required to set up an on-line biller before setting up a manual one?
  • rab315
    rab315 Member ✭✭
    Like other users, I will need Bill Mgr to write more than 6 checks monthly, as i do now with Bill Pay. To answer this problem with "There is no current way to exceed the amount of bills provided, however, we are working on a process that will allow users to purchase additional payments. When you reach your payment limit, nothing will happen, you'll just be notified in-product that your available limit has been reached" is NOT a satisfactory response. This should have been figured out ahead of time. And why is the limit arbitrarily set at 6 when in BillPay I get 10? I need to know when this is going to be resolved.
  • rab315
    rab315 Member ✭✭
    As someone else mentioned, there is no "Get Started" page in the latest version of Quicken to start setting up Bill Mgr. When will this be fixed?
    I am also troubled by the inability to schedule payments in advance, as i have been doing for decades in Bill Pay. This is an enormous step backwards!!!!
  • Quicken Kathryn
    @markberlind You can use the "Copy from Bill Pay" option to copy your online payees into Quicken Bill Manager: https://www.quicken.com/support/using-copy-bill-pay-option
    Quicken Kathryn
    Community Administrator
  • flauaus
    flauaus Member
    I tried to follow the step by step tutorial for the new Bill Manager.

I have the most recent version of Quicken.

But the Second step of the tutorial about how to register with the new Bill manager does not even match what I see in my Quicken.

This needs to be corrected and a better step-by-step tutorial published.

The current one is VERY FRUSTRATING

Thanks
  • Quicken Kathryn
    @rab315 Working with our old bill pay provider, we determined that three checks was the average needed by the majority of users to pay their bills; for existing Bill Pay customers, we doubled the amount to help with the transition to the new Bill Manager.  With Quick Pay, it's possible that some of your bills can now be managed with online payments, which may eliminate the need for a larger number of check payments as well.

In terms of setup, if you're migrating, you won't see a Getting Started screen, but rather will need to go to the Bills & Income tab, click the gear icon, and select Set Up Quicken Bill Manager from the dropdown.

Hope this helps--
    Quicken Kathryn
    Community Administrator
  • DavidK
    DavidK Member ✭✭
    :/ Will the new Quicken Bill Manager be able to pay vendors who send me paper bills through the mail? So far I have avoided any online internet electronic billing and always opt for paper bills. Admit I'm a dinosaur, but will all those have to now be paid by paper check?
    And what happens if I want more than 6 paper checks issued in a given month? Is that an automatic extra charge or will Quicken just refuse to process and shut down until next month?
    This new bill payment service sounds totally unacceptable, so far.
    Please clarify.
  • markberlind
    markberlind Member ✭✭
    Thanks Kathryn for your quick response, but what you wrote didn't answer my question about transferring payee data.

The link you referred me to appears to show only how to convert existing BillPay payees into Manual Bill payees; what I want to know is how to, en masse, import all of my existing Bill Pay payees into Manual Bill payees without going through the hassle of setting up a "reminder" for each one individually.

Isn't there a way to create new Manual Bill payees from my existing data base (from Quicken Bill Pay) without having to manually set each one up with a "reminder" that I don't want because I don't need to be reminded to make any payments?
  • Dean Mechler
    Dean Mechler Member ✭✭✭
    And you're not prepare to offer more than Six manual payments.... even for a fee???????
    So far the instructions don't make a lot of sense either
  • ATC
    ATC Member ✭✭
    what a friggin mess
  • Marauder
    Marauder Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Rtpiv Excellent point I also pay WAY in advance and I dont think that is going to work making Bill Manager worthless.
  • Quicken Kathryn
    @markberlind Apologies--currently there is no way to copy all of your Bill Pay payees in this way.

@DavidK If you want to continue to print and mail checks with Quicken, you can; nothing will change that process.  You can also now add those payees to Quicken and send them a check through the program as well--whichever way you prefer!

@Marauder Metavante is not going out of business, however, they are ceasing their support of bill pay.  As has always been the case, because Metavante is a third-party company, users are required to contact them to make any adjustments to their bill pay accounts.  If you wish to continue using Metavante, you can through the end of May, when they're discontinuing the service.  We don't yet have an ETA for scheduled transactions, but this is a top priority for future iterations.
    Quicken Kathryn
    Community Administrator
  • ThrowerGB
    ThrowerGB Member ✭✭
    I have four questions about the new Bill Manager with respect to current Quicken Premier/Bill Bay users:
    1. Current Bill Pay users get 15 free transactions per month. The new Bill Manager information says Bill Manager will allow 12 electronic and 6 check transactions per month. That means that if we use 15 electronic transactions (or 7 check transaction) per month, we'll now exceed a limit. That's a reduction in service and that's not acceptable. Why isn't that made clear in the announcement. Please clarify and update the information on the web site.
    2. Nowhere on the announcement or the website can I find what happens when one exceeds the limits. With BillPay we're charged $5 for every month we exceed the limit. What are the new terms for overages under Bill Manager. Why are they not noted in the announcement? Please clarify and update the information on the web site.
    3. Nowhere on the support site can I find a support category for questions about Bill Manager. Please fix that.
    4. And I can't find any other way to ask these questions. By luck I happened on this thread. I hope it works. Please publicize how to ask questions about the new Bill Manager.
    Thanks for the help.
  • FLYUCIRRUS
    FLYUCIRRUS Member
    When will Bill Manager be available? see problems below.

I have been with Metavante since long before Quicken. I sent 15 checks in February to medical providers and local contractors for services. Two are recurring and scheduled indefinitely.
    I am trying to set Bill Manager now:
    My add an online Bill does not have a get started button,
    MY enable an account does not have a gear icon,
    My Bills and Income tab does have a Projected Balances but no obvious way to add an account.
  • Eric
    Eric Member ✭✭
    First of all, it does not say "Setup Quicken Bill Manager Plus". It says "Setup Quicken Bill Manager". Then, after I reviewed the slides and click continue. I get "Please add at least one Online Bill to use with Quick Pay payments before setting up a payment account". I don't want to set up a Quick Pay payment. I only want to use Check Pay. Quick Pay should not be a requirement to use Quicken Bill Manager.
  • soonermao
    soonermao Member
    The recommended setup process requires you to set up an online biller in the second step. I do not need to setup an online biller. All I wanted to do was to set up check pay so I can issue manual checks electronically when needed. For me these payments are not regularly scheduled. I handle regularly scheduled payments outside of Bill Pay. Based on what I am reading using quicken to make these type of payments will be painful or perhaps impossible.

I have been using quicken since 1988. This move to bill manager is shoddy at best. I will be looking for alternatives. I don't trust quicken anymore. No telling what the next surprise will be.
  • Quicken Kathryn
    @FLYUCIRRUS Can you verify what version of Quicken you're on (Help > About Quicken).  Do you see a "+" icon under your bills tab?  

@soonermao Currently, setting up an online biller is required to set up Check Pay.  You can set up an online biller (such as a credit card) but you won't need to pay this online bill if you prefer not to; after you set up one online bill and verify your Check Pay account, you can add manual bills to the Bills tab, and use these moving forward.  We're working on improving this user experience.

Quicken Kathryn
    Community Administrator
  • Marauder
    Marauder Member ✭✭✭✭
    @ Kathryn Are the stopping Bill Pay, or are you stopping you integration with your product?

@Others Some of you, like me, have indicated that you make many more payments than Quicken supports. So I am not clear why you're migrating at this point since you will hit issues immediately.

I am using Quicken because of its superior bill pay. Bill Manager is a step backwards. How can Intuit release a product like this without regard to its users.

I am not interested in going on a ride...I need the program to work as it does now. I guess I'll now have to explore other products whose Billpay is now more mature than quickens.

What a huge let down.
  • System
    System Member ✭✭✭✭
    This discussion was created from comments split from: I now have a Quicken Premier Subscription.
  • AfricanSwallow
    AfricanSwallow Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    (Removed-Rant/Argumentative) 
  • glenngardner
    glenngardner Member ✭✭
    Is cancelling Quicken Bill Pay an option here and using direct connect in Quicken with our banks? I've been told that will be our best option until the Bill Manager is actual ready for prime time. What are the trade off of doing this.
This discussion has been closed.