Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Upgrading might waste your subscription money

mjbank
mjbank Member ✭✭✭
So, to prepare for this Quicken Bill Pay debacle, I upgraded from Deluxe to Premier. Aside from the bug on the order confirmation page (it showed totally bogus "Subscription period"), the upshot was that they restarted our clock and gave us a year from purchase date.

This means that the remainder of our paid-up subscription to Deluxe was money down the drain.

The message behind this policy is: Don't Upgrade! (Or, if you WANT to upgrade and you're a sensible steward of your personal finances, wait until the last month of your existing subscription before you upgrade.)

Discouraging customers from signing up to pay more for upgraded products doesn't seem like a promising strategy for a vibrant, profit-making company.

Best Answers

• mjbank
    mjbank Member ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    > @splasher said:
    > What was your previous version of Quicken?

Deluxe, 2018.

Answers

• mjbank
    mjbank Member ✭✭✭
    P.S. I did ask Chat support person Jose about extending the subscription end date or rebating the unused portion of the existing Deluxe subscription, but he was not empowered to remedy the situation.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    What was your previous version of Quicken?

-splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • mjbank
    mjbank Member ✭✭✭
    Update: Now, I'm impressed! I got called by a second-level Quicken support person named Richard. He was monitoring support calls and had observed the unsatisfying outcome of my call to support.

He appreciated my frustration losing my investment in the old Deluxe by upgrading to Premier before my Deluxe subscription expired.

Richard balanced it out for me by manually changing my Premier subscription end-date.

He also agreed to make an internal suggestion that some sort of rebate be included in the purchase process when customers upgrade. (Obviously it's not a simple one-for-one on the subscription term, since Deluxe averages to about $4.17/month and the enhanced Premier services average to $6.25/month, but, hey, math is what computers are good at!)
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    smayer97 said:
    Well that is supposed to be how it works when upgrading...the previous version is supposed to be prorated and added to the expiration date of the subscription period of the new purchase, as per here:
    NOTE, to clarify for other users since the OP has never stated what release version the prior Deluxe Quicken was: 
    If you are upgrading editions while under subscription the above holds true , but if you are going from non-subscription (pre-2018) to subscription (2018+), you lose the overlap.  You always have lost the overlap.  Quicken did not extend your new license past 4/30 if you bought or upgraded early.  I guess that i a good point in favor of the new subscription business model.

-splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • mjbank
    mjbank Member ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    > @splasher said:
    > What was your previous version of Quicken?

Deluxe, 2018.
This discussion has been closed.